Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,689 times

Advertisements

I’d like to streamline my cable/phone/internet setup (and bills!). Right now I have TWC’s bundle - digital phone, rr internet and digital tv - and a cell phone with T-Mobile.
I must have a cell phone and internet broadband, but would like to drop my land-line. I don’t use the digital part of my cable TV service, dropping back to standard cable, or even switching to satellite whatever wouldn’t bother me.
What I’d like to do is drop my land-line, sign up for broadband internet and lower tear tv. The problem I find is that I wouldn’t save any money doing this! TWC charges for these al la cart services are within a few $ of what I’m paying now. Going through ATT for internet only is also cost prohibitive.
Any suggestions? Is there any other options locally for braodband besides ATT and TWC? Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 02:16 PM

944 posts, read 2,042,396 times
I guess it depends on how much you want to lower that bill and what you're willing to give up. You can save a lot of money just getting rid of the cable TV altogether. If you don't spend a ton of time watching TV or can get all your shows some other way this is something you should really consider. Just sign up for Netflix and/or watch your TV shows online (Hulu, etc.). If you're into sports or something and HAVE to have cable then look somewhere else in your budget for cuts, I guess.

If you drop your land line and cable TV you're down to $40-50 a month for cable internet plus $12-15 or so a month for Netflix if you'd like to fill in the gap that way.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:38 PM

324 posts, read 1,309,329 times
try grande. They are quite a bit cheaper IMO. We pay $40 for cable plus $10 for phone only and use the DTV converter to watch TV.

if you decide to go with them let me know I'll give you my referral code - I think you get a credit or something.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:44 PM

4,334 posts, read 7,246,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceebeeee View Post
Going through ATT for internet only is also cost prohibitive.
Any suggestions? Is there any other options locally for braodband besides ATT and TWC? Any other ideas?
Hmmm. My sister and brother-in-law dropped their AT&T landline last year and converted their DSL service to "standalone". They're paying either $20 or $25 a month for the lowest tier. AT&T has been offering this unbundled DSL in San Antonio for just over a year, and I don't think you'll find any provider offering broadband for less than $20 per month.

Grande might be a good option too, especially if you bundle services. But Grande has a limited service area.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 5,689 times
Thanks for everyones suggestions (so far, any more suggestions?) Sadly grande isnt available for my location, but was not aware of ATT unbundled service, going to look into it!

Old 04-05-2009, 02:29 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,715,933 times
I would also suggest the AT&T route. I think if you bundle three things together (in your case DSL, basic cable package and if you switch to AT&T cell phones) they may be able to give you a pretty good deal.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:06 AM

109 posts, read 270,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I would also suggest the AT&T route. I think if you bundle three things together (in your case DSL, basic cable package and if you switch to AT&T cell phones) they may be able to give you a pretty good deal.
We dropped TWC and went with ATT's U-Verse and saved $60 per month and got more.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,696,163 times
U-verse is the only way to go if it available in your area.

You can get DSL from AT&T for $10:
AT&T High Speed Internet Basic Promotion

Either way you are overpaying with TWC.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:32 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,052,859 times
Does anyone know what the catch is with this:
ooma: Free home phone service. Call anywhere in the US with no monthly fees.

I saw it at BB over the weekend for $229 and it's supposed to work on your high-speed internet and you'll never have another phone bill again. I would drop my land line completely, but I am not in a position to do so right now.

Anyone? I could eliminate one portion of my bill if I went with this, since I am currently bundling with TW.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:25 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,213,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Does anyone know what the catch is with this:
ooma: Free home phone service. Call anywhere in the US with no monthly fees.

I saw it at BB over the weekend for $229 and it's supposed to work on your high-speed internet and you'll never have another phone bill again. I would drop my land line completely, but I am not in a position to do so right now.

Anyone? I could eliminate one portion of my bill if I went with this, since I am currently bundling with TW.

Here is another Looks like around $50 for a year of free phone service. Then you can pay $20/year after that.
magicJack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio