Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 08:20 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,994,816 times

Advertisements

Good comments, but I agree and disagree with you...

First, I absolutely agree that the "10 mph over" rule is ridiculous, as is needing to "call in" to respond faster to a call. These officers are trained professionals and should be allowed to make the judgment call. However, they are human and sometimes they make mistakes; but as the old axiom goes "one person pooping their pants shouldn't mean everyone has to wear diapers."

But the cell phone law is a valid one, as is clearly evident by the number of idiotic drivers who are too busy talking on theirs instead of driving. School zones are particularly dangerous areas where drivers need to focus their full attention on what they are doing and not who they are talking to. It is a valid law and needs to be more stringently enforced. Maybe we can't make life "100% safe," but we can always try to make it safer! This is why we have seatbelts, helmets, infant car seats, etc. It is not about making ourselves feel good, it is about taking action to minimize the risks as much as possible!

Overall, I believe this device is to monitor the officers in "non-response" mode, the ones we see speeding without their lights or sirens on. I think it is a good device and probably similar to the one I plan to install on my car when my boys get to driving age.

The one thing that I am curious about is whether the SAPD or any other law enforcement agency has a regulation that requires at least their lights to be on when responding to a call. I know this is the law in other places, as it indicates that the officer is responding to an emergency; but when I got my speeding ticket on 410 a while back the officer who came screaming up behind me did not turn on his lights until he was right on my back bumper. I do not believe this the correct procedure and honestly, if I had braked at all he would've gone through me like a hot knife through butter.

Yes, I know, I am a constant defender of the police but I have experienced firsthand the unprofessional conduct of an SAPD officer (it got worse during the stop, but I don't need to elaborate here). However, my overall opinion of the SAPD is still positive, as it is with DPS (I've was pulled over by them once as well, but the entire event was all very cordial and professional). I know it is not an easy job, and that the majority of their interactions with the public are never under the most ideal of situations; but I truly believe that the police as well as all other public servants deserve our utmost respect and appreciation.

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio