Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:08 AM

5 posts, read 2,195 times

Advertisements

This was a discussion in Ft.Worth not long ago. A solution presented was this: The restaurant owner set up with a local vet to inspect each dog, free of charge--rest.owner paid--and certified the dog to come to his restaurant. The dog owner brought a form to the restaurant and his dog was allowed based on the criteria set forth by the owner. The pass was good for 60 days and the process had to be repeated. Eventually it petered out because the vet was getting swamped, but that is when the owner should have stepped in and made it known of another vet that would do the same thing.

Dogs are not the enemy. They are domesticated enough that they rely on humans for their behaviors and interactions in society. (just like children) If you ignore your dogs behaviors, he becomes the master.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 AM

905 posts, read 2,961,305 times
Doesn't the councilman from District 10 have something more important to address in his district than dogs in restaurants?

I love my dogs and don't have a problem with them joining me for dinner, but that's at home. At home, one sits under the table and the other one to the side of the table. That's all they do. Sit and wait for either something to drop on the floor or someone to sneak them a morsel. Hubby, on the other hand, doesn't even like them any where near the table when we eat. Of course, they are known for counter surfing and "thieving" things off the table if not watched....

I go out to eat to relax and get away from the kitchen, the cooking, the dirty dishes, etc. I wouldn't take my dogs with me, though. They are herding dogs, so they might even herd everyone to the other side of the restaurant so they could raid the buffet tables...

If we were to go to a restaurant that accepted dogs, we just wouldn't eat on the patio with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Dogs could soon be allowed in eateries in SA-ayla-eat.jpg  

Last edited by catriona; 09-23-2009 at 11:54 AM..

Old 09-23-2009, 12:04 PM

278 posts, read 693,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Of course, they are known for counter surfing and "thieving" things off the table if not watched....
you need to do some better training. i can leave a steak on the coffee table, leave for an hour, and have all the dogs drooling around it with with the steak untouched.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:06 PM

my last point here:

let the restaurant owner decide if to allow dogs. you can choose where you want to eat. the system corrects itself, but i can guarantee that any place that allows dogs will not be hurting for business.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:14 PM

905 posts, read 2,961,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rtigo View Post
you need to do some better training. i can leave a steak on the coffee table, leave for an hour, and have all the dogs drooling around it with with the steak untouched.
I've tried many things, but one dog is just hard headed. What worked with the first hasn't worked with the second. So, I'm open for suggestions if you have any. And actually, its only one of them that does that. The other one will help eat the stolen evidence.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,129,736 times
Quote:
Kudos to you!
Co worker has an italian greyhound who jumped the kitchen counter and munched on a huge block of cheese sitting on the counter. That was his first and last time jumping the counter, lol.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:20 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,296,939 times
Quote:
Why would you leave a steak on the coffee table for an hour??? MMmmm steak...................

Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
I've tried many things, but one dog is just hard headed. What worked with the first hasn't worked with the second. So, I'm open for suggestions if you have any. And actually, its only one of them that does that. The other one will help eat the stolen evidence.
if he's smart, it should be easy. keep treats on hand, and when he's resisted temptation, give him a treat. repeat as needed. as long as he knows he's getting something, he won't steal. when he does steal, punish him (i'm not talking about hitting him). we've always used a naughty spot (the foot of the chaise). do something bad, sit on the naughty spot. its even more effective when they get to see the other dogs enjoying a treat. also, when you give treats, only do it when the dogs are calm and sitting. you don't want them to be in the habit of being excited or jumpy and being rewarded for it. right now, your dog is used to standing up and reaching for stuff on the table, so make sure you never give him a treat when he's standing.

2 of mine are former starving street dogs and even they don't steal, so it is possible.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Why would you leave a steak on the coffee table for an hour??? MMmmm steak...................
the chicks dig it. you should see them lining up when there's steak on the coffee table.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:24 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,296,939 times
Quote:
the chicks dig it. you should see them lining up when there's steak on the coffee table.
throw in some skrimps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio