Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:57 PM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,599,386 times

Advertisements

Now that there is the proposed new toll road moratorium that exempts major projects in just about ever city except San Antonio - what do you expect to happen to 281 north of 1604?

We currently live 5 miles north of 1604 on 281 and are relatively satisfied with traffic. We have learned to plan accordingly and just deal with it. We love our neighborhood, but would like to look for a lot with more room. This reqires moving further out (generally). So, that being said - we would probably like to live in the Spring Branch area.

If traffic isn't doing anything but getting worse, and with no apparent solution in site - I am not sure that makes such a good a idea.

As I read the moratiorium (and grant it I haven't read it - just read about it) - it exempts the private toll agreements which have apparently caused the largest uproar. I read somewhere - don't remember where - that the local authorities and TXDoT can still fund and build public toll roads (owned by the public not private companies). Does anyone know if this is true? If so, is it even a real possibility? If not, what are the other alternatives? I know the overpass idea is kicked around with regularity, but I don't see any indication that this is even remotely close to coming to fruition.

Is this part of Bexar County just hosed for the next 2 years? Destined to grow via more homes, more people, and more shopping, but with no traffic relief in sight?

What are you all thinking about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 04:14 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendox View Post
What are you all thinking about this?
I think the toll road opponents should come up with a solution to the problem.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:42 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
I'm just glad that I hardly have to go outside 410 to get what I need, anything outside of 1604 might as well be the moon as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:13 PM

545 posts, read 2,284,212 times
Here's my take on the whole toll road thing...if you don't want to drive on them, fine, then don't, but don't make me sit in traffic because you don't like the idea of having to pay to drive.

Don't believe the hype, people...toll roads are not "double taxation" as the opponents would have you believe. The old, slow, backed up road will still be there for you to drive on, while I'm flying by you on the toll road. Opponents make it sound like they're going to completely take away 281, 1604, etc. and force you to drive on the toll roads, and it just isn't true. If I could pay a couple of bucks and avoid the left-lane parkers on 1604, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I think a lot of others would too, but at this point, the opponents are the ones shouting the loudest, and you know how that goes...the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I drove the tollways all the time in the Chicago area when I knew it would be faster. When it wasn't, like on the weekends or not during rush hour, I'd take the alternate, free routes. You always have a choice.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:37 AM

If we wait on the toll road opponents - nothing will ever happen. Every time something is proposed they complain if it isn't the overpasses that should have been built X years ago when they allocated the money. That ship has sailed. GET OVER IT. Lets move on to bigger and better things that will provide some relief to the massive growing north Bexar County community.

SMU - that was a very insightful post, thanks for sharing.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:22 AM

443 posts, read 1,506,303 times
yeah im pro toll road too... i just don't understand why a lot of people are opposing it... really... it doesn't sink in my mind why they don't like to have a choice... i think something is wrong, i think there is a mis-information campaign... have they started constructing 281 last year, it could have been 1/3 finished by now... geez...

Old 05-16-2007, 09:31 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Two words ... Agressive Ignorance.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:35 AM

care to explain? I am not pro toll - per se. I am pro cut-my-one hour-commute-to-go-15-miles-down-to-something-reasonable. At this point there are no solutions being offerred other than toll roads - which would help the situation greatly.

As I said initially - I am would probably only use the toll roads 2 times a week - when time was of the essence. Otherwise, I would continue sitting through the traffic hell that exists out there now. I have learned to deal with it - as it is now. It is the continued explosive growth that scares me though. There is no solution in sight.

Since your initial post "aggressive ignorance" didn't provide much insight - what is you solution?

Old 05-16-2007, 09:41 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I'm referring to the poeple who are against the toll roads. I agree with the toll roads. However, my personal solution is I am moving out of this state.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:09 AM

sorry for the misunderstanding. I am sorry SA has driven you out of Texas. Please don't hold it against us permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio