Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:25 PM

19 posts, read 38,723 times

Advertisements

How long is the LK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 05:34 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
... BenjaminNicolas may disagree with my choice...
Nope. I agree totally

The standard of dress for West End shows (London) and Broadway (NYC) has changed, thus trickling down to touring houses like The Majestic. It's no longer strange to see tourists in Manhattan come to evenings shows in jeans and t-shirts. While I don't do this myself, it's not something that troubles me much.

I'm just happy to see butts in seats: That's support and it's worth it to me if I've got to see some random flip-flopped person or shorts wearing folk.

What pisses me off are those who don't turn off their cell phones at a performance or crinkle candy all through the show. THOSE people should be beaten to death with butter knives. For those of you who know who she is, this is how Broadway legend Patti Lupone (Evita, Gypsy) handled someone who was bootlegging her show one night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Wh6DAFpW4

BN

Old 12-16-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbear View Post
How long is the LK?
Too long, IMO

It's about 2h 45m with a 15m intermission.

BN

Old 12-16-2009, 08:44 PM

190 posts, read 524,278 times
We went last night w/ our girls: 11 1/2 & 8, and they loved it. I did too! We saw tons of people there in nice jeans (nothing torn, but they were very nicely dressed in jeans).

I will say take an extra jacket or wear a heavier jacket! Their AC was cranked up big time and I nearly froze to death!

Old 12-17-2009, 12:02 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybeccaz View Post
We went last night w/ our girls: 11 1/2 & 8, and they loved it. I did too! We saw tons of people there in nice jeans (nothing torn, but they were very nicely dressed in jeans).

I will say take an extra jacket or wear a heavier jacket! Their AC was cranked up big time and I nearly froze to death!
Where were you sitting?
I was on the mezzanine on the right side right next to the entrance.

I was telling my wife that I thought it was funny that they sold alcohol before the play
She said "It's a different type of crowd"
Guess what? ... some drunk loud son of ....... sat down right behind me.
I was breathing alcohol the whole time and he was laughing really loud.

At the intermission we had to move to a couple of seats that were empty somewhere else.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:00 PM

190 posts, read 524,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Where were you sitting?
I was on the mezzanine on the right side right next to the entrance.

I was telling my wife that I thought it was funny that they sold alcohol before the play
She said "It's a different type of crowd"
Guess what? ... some drunk loud son of ....... sat down right behind me.
I was breathing alcohol the whole time and he was laughing really loud.

At the intermission we had to move to a couple of seats that were empty somewhere else.
We were in the nosebleed section.... literally. LOL I was kind of shocked they sold alcohol too before the show, but I had never been there before, and didn't know what to expect. Other theatres I had been to, didn't sell anything like food/drinks, but the junk the traveling show sells.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybeccaz View Post
We were in the nosebleed section.... literally. LOL I was kind of shocked they sold alcohol too before the show, but I had never been there before, and didn't know what to expect. Other theatres I had been to, didn't sell anything like food/drinks, but the junk the traveling show sells.
The Majestic has had a cash bar for every show, whether it be the SA Symphony or the Broadway Series. It's a way for them to make some extra money when the touring shows they feature add up to just breaking even. You'd be shocked at how slim the money margin is, even with these huge 'Broadway' shows coming into town (and selling out).

As for the drunks:
Let an usher know about this... That is their job! Making sure people are comfortable and that jerks behind or in front of you are acting like adults. They do still have the power to kick someone out of the theatre if they're a bit too rowdy.

BN

Old 12-17-2009, 09:54 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
I, for one, enjoy a drink during intermission. I had a nice glass of wine.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:23 PM

199 posts, read 707,808 times
DH and I went on Wed. night. We sat on the lower level, to the left side. All I can say is bring a heavy jacket, it's freezing in there! It was really cold and rainy that night. When you come in the theatre, the area between the entrance doors and the seating area is continuous and there is no wall to close off the outside air. I could smell smoke and exhaust at times!
I had never been to the Majestic, and yes, it was majestic. Quite a theatre on the inside, it's a shame we can't take pictures in there.
The LK production was wonderful, I really enjoyed it. I haven't seen a professional production in a long time and it was nice to see. People were dressed from casual to dressy, which I thought was fine. Especially when it was so cold inside. So enjoy!

Old 12-18-2009, 08:56 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
You'd be shocked at how slim the money margin is, even with these huge 'Broadway' shows coming into town (and selling out).
That's something I don't understand,
as expensive as it was, being in a very touristy city, in a great location.

I don't understand why they would barely make money.
With what I spent for my wife and I just for tickets, I could have bought season tickets in Six Flags and had money to spare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio