Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 06:40 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
You might look into going into business for yourself. Building decks, sheds, fences, etc.
This is an excellent idea. You just need to put together a portfolio of the work you have done to show potential customers. The best gen. construction people can do all kinds of work (tile, plumbing, decks, woodworking, etc.) and can show the jobs they completed with photos and references from their customers. You can do well down here as long as you are honest and complete the jobs as promised. There are so many ripoff artists who don't complete the work or do shoddy jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 07:38 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
To start a business, in reality you should have quite a bit of money set aside for startup expenses and living expenses, because it may not be profitable at first. If a person has never started a small business before, they may not realize it can be really, really tough...not like a regular job where you know how much money will be coming in. Just a word of caution...

Old 01-16-2010, 10:47 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
This is an excellent idea. You just need to put together a portfolio of the work you have done to show potential customers. The best gen. construction people can do all kinds of work (tile, plumbing, decks, woodworking, etc.) and can show the jobs they completed with photos and references from their customers. You can do well down here as long as you are honest and complete the jobs as promised. There are so many ripoff artists who don't complete the work or do shoddy jobs.
How true. Many times they will promise to have it done in a day or two, start off good, but you don't see them for several days, and after several calls, they show up again. Another suggestion along this vein...check with Lowe's and Home Depot to offer your services as a contractor for them to get your foot in the door.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:19 PM

45 posts, read 174,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
that is one thing I had to get used to in SA... People ( employers ) always asked me if I was gonna be there next week. Are you gonna get your check and run, be honest with the company etc etc. I grew up and worked that business in northern minnesota for 10+ years were we do the right and pretty much do anything to make homeowners happy..

No offense to anyone, but I would always here how good the south is for work ethics and how hard they worked down there, but its just a fact that nobody works harder than the midwest .. I was amazed to see how lazy ppl were down there on job sites, it was actually shocking.. If they did that up here 90% of the ppl I saw would be canned..

So I guess you could say im an honest hard working guy from the midwest But that obviously doesnt cut it down there, Also holding me back from better pay, is the fact I didnt speak much spanish... THAT kinda pissed me off a bit

Old 01-16-2010, 11:20 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadj79 View Post
that is one thing I had to get used to in SA... People ( employers ) always asked me if I was gonna be there next week. Are you gonna get your check and run, be honest with the company etc etc. I grew up and worked that business in northern minnesota for 10+ years were we do the right and pretty much do anything to make homeowners happy..

No offense to anyone, but I would always here how good the south is for work ethics and how hard they worked down there, but its just a fact that nobody works harder than the midwest .. I was amazed to see how lazy ppl were down there on job sites, it was actually shocking.. If they did that up here 90% of the ppl I saw would be canned..

So I guess you could say im an honest hard working guy from the midwest But that obviously doesnt cut it down there, Also holding me back from better pay, is the fact I didnt speak much spanish... THAT kinda pissed me off a bit
Well, did you learn any more Spanish before you make the move back here?

Old 01-16-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Well, did you learn any more Spanish before you make the move back here?
no.. I was to busy with my job. its not an issue in most of the country if I don't speak spanish.. And the part that frustrated me is that I knew more than 'probably 75% of the ppl on the job site, but couldn't understand the other 25% of them, So my skills and qualifications were not even an issue at that point.. That's what I got mad about..

Old 01-16-2010, 11:36 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Quote:
no.. I was to busy with my job. its not an issue in most of the country if I don't speak spanish.. And the part that frustrated me is that I knew more than 'probably 75% of the ppl on the job site, but couldn't understand the other 25% of them, So my skills and qualifications were not even an issue at that point.. That's what I got mad about..
It shouldn't be an issue here either, but you've obviously experienced it. Hope it works out better this time around.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
It shouldn't be an issue here either, but you've obviously experienced it. Hope it works out better this time around.
Not getting a job you are plenty qualified for, because you dont speak spanish IS an issue tho.. Its not like im in mexico ( although its close ) or some other country, Im in the States.. And I really think thats bs.. Nobody agrees with me??

Old 01-17-2010, 01:17 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
Quote:
Not getting a job you are plenty qualified for, because you dont speak spanish IS an issue tho.. Its not like im in mexico ( although its close ) or some other country, Im in the States.. And I really think thats bs.. Nobody agrees with me??
Nope

Old 01-17-2010, 02:02 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
*Since 2007 (when you were here) things have really gone downhill and it's affecting every part of the country including SA so I think you would find it very difficult to accept a lower wage compared to the increased wage you are making where you are.

*12 hr sales job? Shoot, sign me up! Honestly, only management and senior level sales would be starting at 12 an hour in San Antonio.

Quote:
wouldn't even mingd doing sales at the apple or sony store, or best buy.. But it seems they are never hiring.
You got that right. I was out of work from May of last year until September. I applied at SO many places and I went to so many job interviews including 2nd-round interviews and I couldn't find a job to save my life!

I have two college degrees and I'm underemployed making minimum wage at 27 to 30 hours a week (the corporate employer is too cheap to pay benefits for a full time worker for myself and almost all the others who are also part time cashiers) so I know how difficult it is.

But in this recession, I'm just glad I have a job. I'd stay where you are if I was you. Save up that money and then when you have enough financial cushion then and only then consider coming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio