Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:50 AM

10 posts, read 47,340 times

Advertisements

I have worked overseas for 10 years, my wife and I are looking to buy a home. We have looked in many places but have settled on the San Gabriel Valley (Covina) because I have lived there before, Hemet, or Apple Valley.

I lived in Hemet for a short time in the late 1980's when Hemet was an up and coming place to be, and I loved it. However on a recent trip home I drove through the area, and was not impressed. It did not remind of the place I remembered at all, not sure if it's just my memory, or Hemet did not achieve it's potential.

I have never been to Apple Valley, and I understand the drive can be a pain through the Cajon Pass, but I will only be there maybe half the year and commuting is not my major concern. We have two kids 9, and 5 my main concerns are crime, gangs, and drugs. We will eventually live full time in the home in a couple of years and want a good environment for raising the kids, and good schools.

We have two houses picked out one in Hemet, and one in Apple Valley and cannot decide ?

Would really like to hear some other people's opinions, thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 07:10 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Covina.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:42 PM

76 posts, read 400,117 times
Between Apple Valley and Hemet I wld pick Apple Valley. But it is not all nice so you will need to pay attention to where the home is. Elementary and Middle School wise Sitting Bull Elem and MS both get relatively good scores and rankings.

Hemet technically is closer to a lot of things but I am not a fan at all.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:47 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,983,616 times
It was just in the news that Hemet Firefighters will be wearing bullet proof vests. That should clue you to how the city is.

What's your budget anyways? Even if not within the SGV, there are better choices elsewhere.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:34 PM

Wow, bulletproof vests ? I had that sinking feeling about Hemet when I was there two months ago, my wife and I were hoping that Apple Valley would be better, but because of time restrictions I never got a chance to drive up to see it, looks great in pictures ?

Budget is up to $300,000 but of course there is a big difference in what we get for our money in the San Gabriel Valley and in Apple Valley for that price, I am trying to decide if the trade offs are worth it. The problem now is I am back at work overseas and it's difficult to do from here.

I think Hemet is out, I don't have a bulletproof vest, and I'm not looking to buy one, I am also thinking now that maybe there is not a big difference between Hemet and Apple Valley. ?

Old 05-11-2011, 11:53 PM

WNYerinSOCAL when you say it depends on which part of Apple Valley, which parts to you think are not good ? I am looking at a house on Havasu Rd. near, but not in the Spring Valley Lake community, and another property located near the intersections of Thunderbird Rd. & Dale Evans Parkway.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:00 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
I grew up in San Diego County and recently moved to Hemet - and I love it!

It's not scary, it's just a little suburban town, off the beaten track, in a less-wealthy county - and that means lots of good deals on housing! It's not for everyone, but personally I'm very happy here.

And if you liked Hemet in the 1980's? I don't think it's changed all that much. My extended family has lived here forever, so I've been coming here since I was a child, and aside for a new library, and some new developments on the west end, I don't think the town has changed much in my lifetime.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:11 PM

I don't have a ton of time right now baby getting up. We lived in Apple Valley for years. I tend to like the newer areas that are zoned for Sitting Bull Elem. They are by no means the only good areas just that Apple Valley is strange in that you go a few streets to far and it gets kind of ghetto. Not scary to drive through imo but not where I would want to live if that makes sense.

Communities that are in the area I liked were; Spring Valley Lake Equestrian Estates, Stonebrooke Estates, The Ranch at Skyline, The Ranch at Clearview, Quail Valley Estates, even the Pulte development though smaller lots across from the Target use to be nice more congested however. I will try to hop back on latter when I have some more time.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:11 PM

WNYerinSOCAL it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info, the house we were buying in Covina, may fall through because of delinquencies and foreclosures in the area, this will be the third house we offered on, bank will not lend in those areas. Hard to believe that things are that bad there now. But I may have to come back to see some houses in Apple Valley and Hemet now, and your info really helps me pick out some houses to see before I come back, Thanks !

Old 05-12-2011, 11:33 PM

Shear realty is one of the big realtors in the Victor Valley is the house you are waiting on does not work out.

Here are a few listings in the areas I know are decent and go to good schools for the district.

19718 Chicory, Apple Valley, CA 92308 | Listing Information | Shear Realty | Victor Valley's #1 Real Estate Company (http://www.shearrealty.com/CA/Apple-Valley/92308/homes-for-sale/19718-Chicory-59903649/popup - broken link)

19737 Rosemary, Apple Valley, CA 92308 | Listing Information | Shear Realty | Victor Valley's #1 Real Estate Company (http://www.shearrealty.com/CA/Apple-Valley/92308/homes-for-sale/19737-Rosemary-60523461/popup - broken link)

Smaller lots this is a Pulte development but nice floor plans.

12947 Tawya, Apple Valley, CA 92308 | Listing Information | Shear Realty | Victor Valley's #1 Real Estate Company (http://www.shearrealty.com/CA/Apple-Valley/92308/homes-for-sale/12947-Tawya-58327624/popup - broken link)
The Ranch at Clearview - larger lots

19165 Saguaro, Apple Valley, CA 92308 | Listing Information | Shear Realty | Victor Valley's #1 Real Estate Company (http://www.shearrealty.com/CA/Apple-Valley/92308/homes-for-sale/19165-Saguaro-60734104/popup - broken link)
Spring Valley Lake Equestrian Estates

Apple Valley, CA 92308 | Listing Information | Shear Realty | Victor Valley's #1 Real Estate Company (http://www.shearrealty.com/CA/Apple-Valley/92308/homes-for-sale/address-not-available-from-broker-57248525/popup - broken link)
Quail Valley Estates

Hope links are okay these should map for you to. This area is as soon as you come into Apple Valley off Bear Valley from Victorville there are other nice areas behind the St Mary's and such but these are the ones I am most familiar with and very convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties