Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 11,108 times

Advertisements

I am 31 years old, and I have been working at a school in Victorville for 3 years. I now am tenured. I love my job. I love the kids here and the faculty. But I don't like where I live. I live in the Brentwoods and I don't like it. I don't like the graffiti, or getting stared down by everyone. I don't like going to the market with the thugs always around and I am sick of the wind. I do like that I only owe 85K on my house and that I have a low payment. My child is 14 months old, and I don't know if I want him to go to school here and grow up here. Yes, I love my kids, and I do a good job for them, but I want even better for my only child. I'm thinking Big Bear, but my wife doesn't know if she can handle the isolation. Apple Valley will solve the thug issue a little bit, but the wind doesn't stop there either. I love Rancho, but can't really afford it, and the drive up the pass sucks anyways. I recently, checked out silver lakes but, its kinda remote too. Nice lake tho. What do to what to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 10:34 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
I assume you mean Rancho Cucamonga. If you hate the wind, you don't want to be in this area when the Santa Anas are blowing.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:35 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
It depends on what's really important to you and your family. Personally, I'd move and commute, if it were me.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:12 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I assume you mean Rancho Cucamonga. If you hate the wind, you don't want to be in this area when the Santa Anas are blowing.
+1000. So much so, I had sleepless nights when they was a blowing.

OP, is there somewhere in the Victor Valley where you can escape these things, or at least tone them down? I mean, one or both of you is going to have to give, either when it comes to the thugs, the isolation, the wind, and/or the commute.

What about Phelan, Pinon Hills, or even Wrightwood?

Old 07-10-2011, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 11,108 times
i dont know what to do. apple valley looks better and better...i havent checked out phelan, pinon hills or wrightwood yet

Old 07-10-2011, 08:51 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaguirres View Post
i dont know what to do. apple valley looks better and better...i havent checked out phelan, pinon hills or wrightwood yet
I live in and love Apple Valley. Never see any thugs. For that matter, I am in VV every day and don't see the bad element. I'm sure there are some, but I don't hang out where the thugs do.
Come on over to AV and enjoy the good life, and the commute isn't bad to VV...!!

Old 07-10-2011, 08:57 PM
LDH

168 posts, read 587,857 times
I live in Santa Barbara county and we get the Santa Ana winds up here. There is really no getting away from them and just have to ride out the couple of months the wind blows.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:34 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I live in Santa Barbara county and we get the Santa Ana winds up here. There is really no getting away from them and just have to ride out the couple of months the wind blows.
The winds are worse (IMO) in the HD, and are life altering.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:57 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
The winds are worse (IMO) in the HD, and are life altering.
I lived in the area of the 60/15 freeway interchange for almost 20 years and can attest to it having some of the strongest winds in Southern California. Whenever you see stories on the news about semis being overturned by Santa Ana winds, it is usually near that interchange, continuing up through Ontario and Rancho Cucamonga. I periodically lost sections of my roof, my fence was always blowing down and I lost a few trees as well. It was not only annoying and expensive to deal with, it was also pretty frightening as I had some tall trees close to my house.

But the reason I actually replied to this thread is because I found some info about the Santa Ana Winds on Wikipedia that I thought was interesting in regard to Santa Barbara:

"To the north, in the Santa Barbara area, the Santa Ana winds are weaker and are usually held at bay by topography: the local mountains offer no prominent outlets, in the form of passes or river valleys, from the elevated inland source areas. However, a variant of the Santa Ana wind, known locally as Sundowner winds, often invade the area. These are downslope winds which occur when a high pressure area lies due north of Santa Barbara, and occur most frequently in the late spring to early summer, and are strongest at sunset, or "sundown," hence their name. Since high pressure areas usually migrate east, changing the pressure gradient in southern California to the northeast, it is common for "sundowner" wind events to precede Santa Ana events by a day or two."

Actually, the entire entry on the Santa Ana winds is interesting: Santa Ana winds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regarding Apple Valley, my father decided to retire there, after living in Orange County for 30 years. Though he had always loved the desert and lived in the Morongo Basin in the 1940s, he got really tired of the constant wind, and after a few years moved to Arizona - the wind was his main reason for moving.

"Here come those Santa Ana winds again . . . "

Old 07-13-2011, 10:19 AM

76 posts, read 400,075 times
We use to work in the Victor Valley. We worked for a school district in the area and we lived in Apple Valley. It did not solve the wind issue but it was a compromise for our family that worked well enough. Sitting Bull Elementary and Middle are actually nice schools and the developments right around that area of AV are for the most part nice. Good Luck deciding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties