Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 04:40 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times

Advertisements

I can barely stand to drive through Hemet, let alone live there...yuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 07:19 PM

19 posts, read 186,129 times
Default Let's be a little more realistic...

Wow...I can't believe how negative some of these people are. I guess that is what the anonymity of the internet gets you...
I grew up in Hemet, and I'll admit that it isn't the absolute greatest, but there are a couple of things to take into consideration. First, it is very difficult for the city to pass measures that would clean up the town, or build new facilities or give more money to the schools because that would raise taxes and the retirees (though they are becoming more and more outnumbered) won't vote for such "nonsense". Secondly a lot of "Hemet" is actually unincorporated Riverside County, so that makes it even more difficult to get anything done law enforcement or infrastructure wise. Thirdly, the HUSD is a huge school district, geographically, so that makes things even harder for them. The "affordability" of any town is going to, of course, drive more and more "lower class" folks into town...that's economics. I'll admit that in the six or so years that I have been away from Hemet it has definitely gone downhill, but I know that there are some really lovely parts of town, ones that almost anyone could admire. There are also some scarier areas of town. Just like most cities there are great areas, not as great areas, and kind of scary areas. Some people enjoy Hemet's almost rural quality, other's despise it.
As far as people trashing on the schools, I think that most of them don't really know what they are actually talking about. I know that Hemet HS consistently outscores most, if not all, the other schools in the county (including all those "great" schools in Temecula) in academics. The arts programs in Hemet are also some of the best in this half of the state. In the past few years these two areas don't shine as much, but it isn't, necessarily, because the schools have gotten much worse, but that many other schools are getting better (maybe tryingto compete, finally, with Hemet).
Bottom line is Hemet definitely has its charms and its faults (like ANYWHERE). When economics drives people out of their homes they have to go somewhere, and it is unfortunate that Hemet was stuck in the position of absorbing many of them. That is what it gets for trying to promote itself as an affordable, friendly town, I guess. I think fondly of my two decades of living in Hemet and would definitely consider raising my family there should the opportunity arise. You get out of it what you choose to find...

Old 01-08-2007, 10:11 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
Violone - at least on my part, my criticism of Hemet has nothing to do with anonymity. How a person feels about certain communities is very subjective. I live at the beach - it is clean and beautiful and stylish (it is also crowded, expensive and class-conscious).....I don't like the desert, the heat, the bugs, lack of green spaces and trees, lack of zoning and overall depressed appearance of most desert towns - including Hemet....you need to not take the criticism so personally - some people just don't like Hemet but you do - that is okay, fine and dandy and it is nothing you should feel defensive about....you had good experiences there and it meets your criteria for a decent place - and that is a good thing.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:29 PM

19 posts, read 186,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Violone - at least on my part, my criticism of Hemet has nothing to do with anonymity. How a person feels about certain communities is very subjective. I live at the beach - it is clean and beautiful and stylish (it is also crowded, expensive and class-conscious).....I don't like the desert, the heat, the bugs, lack of green spaces and trees, lack of zoning and overall depressed appearance of most desert towns - including Hemet....you need to not take the criticism so personally
I will be first in line to criticize many things about Hemet. I wasn't being defensive at all. Actually I was trying to be sensitive. I was just saying that I have noticed that in internet forums people can get really heated and say things that I would hope they wouldn't say to real people...I am sorry that you took my comment as an attack. That was not at all my intention. The original poster asked an honest question and I was simply trying to clear up some of the mud. It is pure circumstantial coincidence that my comment followed yours.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:59 PM

105 posts, read 552,226 times
Default On a scale of 1-10

On a scale of 1-10, I'd probably put Hemet at a 3..maybe a 4. It is getting better, but I still wouldn't move there. And yep...really hot in the summer.

Try French Valley (Winchester 92596). It's between Hemet and Temecula (closer to Temecula), but the houses are more affordable than Temecula. The benefit to French Valley is that you're in Temecula school system, which is one of the top in the state.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:43 PM

323 posts, read 1,390,566 times
Hemet is not that bad. I was there in the Springtime and it was very pretty. I guess it depends where you go. People were friendly. Some were not. There is humidity there because of the manmade lake. I hate hot weather but you get that nearly everywhere. Summers are too long and too hot in the South of the U.S. There is a new pool that is huge in Hemet plus a new shopping mall that will have higher end products coming in a few years.

There is growth and changes coming in. The place has changed over the last ten years. It has even become greener. There are some really funky parts to this town too. Old Hemet area and the Romona play every year is the oldest outdoor play around. "White Thrash?" Your focus and your choice what you want to dwell on.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:41 AM

4 posts, read 21,817 times
My family and I moved from Temecula to San Jacinto (right next to Hemet) in 99 and in 2005 moved to Texas nad let me tell you, i MISS it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2007, 04:54 PM

39 posts, read 126,165 times
Read my post in Hemet/Temecula/Murrieta questions. That will tell you about Hemet. Also the person that mentioned drivers beware were they ever right. The typical age of the oldies driving here is 75.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 18,042 times
I am currently living in Hemet, and maybe some of you should change your opinions.
The median age group for the area is now 42, and there have been 37 new home projects built in the last year and a half in the valley. New housing that I have seen starts at about $300,000, which is desireable anywhere.
One good thing about the projects is that they have parks built into the tracts themselves, one protection for the kids.
There are lots of retail jobs here. We have a hospital expansion going on, so there is always jobs there, we have Skyline, manufacturer of mobile homes.
Temecula has jobs, and is about 45 minutes away--lots of different industries.

Last edited by fantasywinds; 01-30-2007 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: repeated a statement

Old 02-10-2007, 08:38 AM

31 posts, read 157,751 times
Default Article in the Press Enterprise

Thought this was an interesting read for those looking to move to Hemet

Could Hemet get strip clubs?

09:35 PM PST on Friday, February 9, 2007

By HERBERT ATIENZA
The Press-Enterprise

Hemet has identified locations where as many as 24 strip clubs and adult bookstores could open under a proposed ordinance governing sex-oriented businesses.
Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties