Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 23,205 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the IE in June along with my wife and three kids for a one year stint. My job will be in Fontana but I am considering living in either Redlands or Rancho Cucamonga.

Is one of these towns more of a "community"? It seems that Redlands has more family type activities available but am not sure if RC is as well represented on the internet for family activities.

Will the daily commute from Redlands to Fontana be that much longer than from RC to Fontana (Sierra just off the I-10)? Granted, I read of many people driving for 2+ hrs into LA but I am hoping to have it less than 30-40 minutes each way.

Any other pros and cons about these two towns I should know about?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 05:10 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
I think you will like Redlands better. It is "quaint" - something RC is not. Redlands doesn't seem as crowded as RC, although RC is closer to Fontana. Redlands just has a nicer "feel" to me, but that's just my opinion (aside from the fact that I dance in Redlands twice a week).

Old 01-21-2009, 12:59 PM

127 posts, read 500,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jookie View Post
I will be moving to the IE in June along with my wife and three kids for a one year stint. My job will be in Fontana but I am considering living in either Redlands or Rancho Cucamonga.

Is one of these towns more of a "community"? It seems that Redlands has more family type activities available but am not sure if RC is as well represented on the internet for family activities.

Will the daily commute from Redlands to Fontana be that much longer than from RC to Fontana (Sierra just off the I-10)? Granted, I read of many people driving for 2+ hrs into LA but I am hoping to have it less than 30-40 minutes each way.

Any other pros and cons about these two towns I should know about?

Thanks.

Rancho Cucamonga is closer. It's a very nice city with top notch schools.
RC has a recreation and parks department with plenty of activities for kids. There's also a great library on Archibald and one at the Victoria Gardens. There are parks, movie theaters, shopping and restaurants. I don't know anything about Redlands except there's a retreat center there I'd like to visit. I vote RC. I'm up that way every day so if you have any other questions I'll try to answer them.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:04 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
I don't like Rancho. Everything there is practically brand new, including some very large malls. I'm sure it is fine for a family, but has no real town center like Redlands offers. However, Rancho is next to Fontana, so your commute would be very short. Redlands isn't that far from Fontana though, but you might have to deal with some traffic. Redlands is also surprisingly expensive relative to the rest of the IE. I once heard that at one time, Redlands was considered the Beverly Hills of the IE. My experiences are fairly limited, but they do have some nice old victorian homes and a cute little downtown area.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:01 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,200 times
Personally, I actually like Rancho Cucamonga better. But, I supposed if you prefer more old town charm and character, then Redlands would be a better fit. Rancho Cucamonga is newer and a larger city. It does have some nice parks, 2 nice public libraries, Victoria Gardens (an outdoors, walkable, shopping center with upscale shops) Plus, Rancho Cucamonga is closer to LA, Orange County than Redlands.

As for your commute to Fontana, as others have written, Rancho Cucamonga is just next door to Fontana.

If you absolutely must live in a smaller city with character and don't mind the slight commute, then go with Redlands.

Best wishes on your decision.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:45 PM

76 posts, read 307,548 times
For charm and character, definitely Redlands!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:33 PM

76 posts, read 400,014 times
They are so completely different. It is hard to compare. Depending on where you are coming from and what you are looking for? Redlands is historic and Rancho for the most part is cookie cutter new suburban sprawl- very nice suburban sprawl but all the same. Redlands has a true historical downtown area with the Smiley Public Library, coffee shops, quirky place etc..Rancho has Victoria Gardens an outdoor mall with cultural center and library that was created to look like a real down town. It is I will not argue undoubtably nice just not authentic.

Rancho Cucamonga is a city of 200,000 plus I believe now. Redlands is a town of just over 60,000. There is a big difference. Rancho is closer to Ontario and definitely has more shopping.

Ages of children? Rancho Cucamonga has Central and Eitwanda districts for elementary. Etiwanda is very highly regarded. However high school falls under Chaffey Unified which is very larger and their high school are very larger also 3000 + students. Redlands is also a very highly regarded school district again older and smaller however.

As for commute... Depends on where in Rancho you would be looking. If at the end closer to Upland it could take you just as much to get to Sierra. Generally speaking though most areas of Rancho would be closer. The drive from Redlands will not be bad however, 15 or 20 minutes depending on traffic and time you will leave.

They are just so different I genuinely like both and think both have advantages but they really are very different. Feel free to ask more as I just can not really address everything ...

Old 01-26-2009, 10:15 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Where's Jookie?

Old 01-26-2009, 01:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Where's Jookie?
He decided to move to Amboy...

Old 01-27-2009, 01:00 AM

4 posts, read 23,205 times
Thanks for all the information. From what you have described, we are leaning towards Redlands at the moment. moving from a town of 2,000 and a state of 600,000 to a city of 200,000 seems a bit overwhelming. Looking at rental housing, there seems to be a bit more uniqueness in Redlands and cost isn't too much different. I was mostly worried about the commute but 15-20 minutes doesn't seem too bad. Our kids are probably gonna be home-schooled for the year so that doesn't make too much difference. It seems like there may be more activities for them to partake in in Redlands (Smiley Library, Redlands Bowl, etc.)

How long does it take to get through the rental process. Do I need to come out a month in advance to settle things or can I get it done in a week or so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties