Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 9,345 times

Advertisements

I'm a 23 y.o female RN from NY, getting a job at St. Marys in Apple Valley. I was hoping to snag a job closer to the coast since I live a block from the beach at home in NY but beggars can't be choosers, right?? I don't mind a 45 minute drive to work so I figured I'd try to live as close to the coast as possible. My research has led me to Rancho Cucamonga. Sort of a half way mark between the beach and St. Marys Hospital. I'd love some suggestions as to which areas/apartment complexes I should start looking at. Preferable close to some fun stuff! (movies, shopping, bars, restaurants, etc). Price range MAXIMUM $1200/month if possible. Open and appreciative to all suggestions, cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 03:20 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I know the city of RC very well. I also temporarily worked in Hesperia for a few months, which is a neighboring city of Apple Valley. If you want to live in RC, you'll have to increase your budget for apts...yes, even 1 bedroom ones. Sure, there are a couple at $1200 & below, but they're not that great. Here's a great site to give you an idea of the price & revews on apts:

By the way, Apple Valley & Hesperia is the desert area, as you've probably learned. It's so incredibly boring & dead over there! The weather is extreme too with it either snowing or being sweltering, depdning on the deason. You'll soon see.

PM me any questions about RC you want. I know where all the malls, shopping, movie theaters, etc. are.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:36 PM

Thanks for your reply!!

Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 PM

64 posts, read 134,009 times
I was in your shoes back in January. I searched long and hard for an apartment in Rancho and settled for one in Corona for $1200. This will be a little far for you....I work in Fontana. Rancho will be pricey. $1300-1500 for a nice 1 bdr.

If you already live in a big city, you'll probably love the inland empire. Being a 26 yo guy from small town GA, I can't wait for an opportunity to move back east. I was spoiled from living in a small college town with a great bar scene. You won't find that "feel" anywhere here. Don't let yourself get too caught up with the fame and glamour hype that goes along with CA. Yes, it's a beautiful place with great weather but its the real world just like NY. You will never be bored though for sure....plenty to do. Pm me with any questions.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tking511 View Post
Thanks for your reply!!
You're welcome! Whopps, I see that I neglected to post the apt review site: http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/CA-Rancho-Cucamonga.html#axzz2OiAtlMM6

By the way, the newest rental complex to be constructed in RC is $1755/mo for a 980 sq ft, 3-story, 1 bd/1.5 ba townhome rental & that's the SMALLEST floor plan that particular complex has:

http://www.lewisapartments.com/community/santabarbara/floorplans

Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama1787 View Post
Being a 26 yo guy from small town GA, I can't wait for an opportunity to move back east. I was spoiled from living in a small college town with a great bar scene. You won't find that "feel" anywhere here. Don't let yourself get too caught up with the fame and glamour hype that goes along with CA. Yes, it's a beautiful place with great weather but its the real world just like NY.
So you're saying there are no places in CA with a small town feel? Or just the IE//GLAMA?

Old 03-27-2013, 02:25 PM

64 posts, read 134,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
So you're saying there are no places in CA with a small town feel? Or just the IE//GLAMA?
IE. I guess a better assessment would be that there is nothing that makes one city unique to the next city. Nothing separates Rancho from Ontario from Fontana from Upland....etc. Sure, there are nice areas and not so nice areas of all of them but there are no unique "downtown" areas with small shops/restaurants. Its all about what you are accustomed to. Like I said, if the OP is already from a large suburban area, then she'll probably love it here.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
IE. I guess a better assessment would be that there is nothing that makes one city unique to the next city. Nothing separates Rancho from Ontario from Fontana from Upland....etc. Sure, there are nice areas and not so nice areas of all of them but there are no unique "downtown" areas with small shops/restaurants. Its all about what you are accustomed to. Like I said, if the OP is already from a large suburban area, then she'll probably love it here.
I've grown up in a small beach community with a great bar scene. We ride bikes everywhere and know everything about everyone lol. Thats why I fell in love with Hermosa Beach/Manhattan Beach area but that is WAYYY too far from Apple Valley. Such a bummer... Thank you everyone for all of your help! Appreciated

Old 03-29-2013, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,000 times
Hi Tking511. Wow what a move. I spent the last 31 years in public service in the city of RC. You couldn't have picked a more secure city. It has it's crime like any where else but kept to a minimum by a great law enforcement. The city leaders have for years kept to a fantastic plan with a very balanced city that people love thus the higher prices. Unlike many neighboring cities, RC is financially secure which is very beneficial to the community. Everything you need is within the city boundaries. There are some very nice aprtments/condos next door to the Victoria Gardens mall but as stated earlier, more then what you have expected to pay. I also live in the Oak Hills area which is a neighbor of Apple Valley. St Marys is a fine hospital in fact you may not know they are building a new hospital/trauma center along the I-15 freeway in Hesperia to be completed spring of 2016. I'ld like to tell you to rent in the high desert but you REALLY have to watch where you settle there. Rents are much cheaper so you will keep more of what you earn and RC is just a 30 minute drive south. Also we do get snow here which some times closes the freeway which you will be commuting on. See we can't figure out how to drive on slick roadways like you New Yorkers so the Gov. helps us out. California is where you will make your money but plan to leave as soon as you reach retirement age or they will take it all back. You are young like my daughter who is an x-ray tech at Desert Valley Hospital and who has two friends who work at St Marys. One a nurse, the other in x-ray. If we can help you out with any more particular questions don't hesitate to ask. One more thing for the near future to check on. San Antonio Community Hospital in Upland is expanding their ER and may need more nurses in the future. It's a great hospital with a fine staff. You may want to contact them. Good luck with your move.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:26 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Disagree. There is still SPACE separating these places from one another, as well as the man-made but very physical/real boundaries. The populations of Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario and Fontana are especially remarkable in this way; there definitely is space and you can tell when you are in one or the other.
Each place has its own history and its own development, for those who will see and sense. Actually, to be able to get a feel for a community takes a bit of time of living in it and having other places with which to compare it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties