Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 08:54 PM

17 posts, read 23,256 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to SB. I'm single with 2 teenage girls. Will I be able to find a decent house for me and my girls. I will be endorsing my LVN license to CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 09:33 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
Obviously you know that no one with any means or education lives in San Bernardino. I work there and know it well. It's a dangerous, ugly and murderous city. You want your daughters attending a SBCUSD school? LOL!!! Think again.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:22 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
Try Redlands or Loma Linda, bott close enough for you to commute to SB, but much safer for your kids, unless they want to join a gang??? And then they likely will be missin' more school than attending...

Old 01-04-2015, 04:09 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,485,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Obviously you know that no one with any means or education lives in San Bernardino. I work there and know it well. It's a dangerous, ugly and murderous city. You want your daughters attending a SBCUSD school? LOL!!! Think again.
You know, not helpful to the OP. You're entitled to your opinion and the sharing of your experiences but she asked for help, not a diatribe.

As for your first sentence, I DO know a family that lives there and they are educated folks. I am sure there are others.

OP, if you can do Redlands, Loma Linda or even Mentone or Grand Terrace, do it (these are nearby SB) but don't let people scare you away from working here or anything. SB definitely has problems but do the research and you should be able to find something that works for you.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:26 PM

922 posts, read 1,112,158 times
My husband worked in downtown SB for 5 years and he always said that Skid Row in LA was better. When I would visit my husband at his place of work (and this was in the government buildings) he would tell me to not get out of my car and walk around and wait for him to come to me.

OP, San Bernardino is NOT a city that you want to bring your children too, under any circumstances. I have lived in So Cal my entire life and that city gets worse every year and from what I have seen of it, it is scary. You are much better off in certain parts of Riverside, Yucaipa, Redlands or, if you're willing to commute a little more, cities like Rancho Cucamonga or Upland.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:33 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,051 times
as others have said, avoid SB like the plague. Just to give you an idea of how bad it is, it has a 4 out of 100 on the crime index from Neighborhood Scout. Oakland has a 1 and Memphis, TN has a 2 rating. Those are 2 of the top 5 most violent cities in the country. Not a place for kids.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:58 PM

987 posts, read 1,746,621 times
I lived in Del Rosa about 3 years ago (temporarily). I'm not recommending it at all. And I don't want to sound discouraging, but it's a desolate vast wasteland you'd see in a movie. However, the only decent area, very small I might add is surrounding & in the University. And that's about it, but you'll still have to drive out and away to the not so nice areas to get food, gas, retail, etc and they are all sketchy areas. The only nice businesses were what was in/across from the University, including maybe one or two gas stations. The market might still be there, but it's very small pickings.

I also lived in Yucaipa, which took me 1/2 hour to get to San Bernardino and back. Redlands, Loma Linda, Grand Terrance are nice. But I sadly have to agree San Bernardino isn't much of a place to reside in and I even took public transportation (Metrolinks great) but the buses were not so great. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:26 PM

393 posts, read 345,605 times
I hate to reinforce what has already been said many times, but San Bernardino is not an ideal place to live in or raise your kids. At least 2/3 of the city is severely dilapidated, has a very high crime rate, and the city is also bankrupt. I think the only real decent part of San Bernardino is the Verdemont neighborhood in the northern part of the city, near the university. The city has two malls that I know of - one of them is doing OK, but the other one is what they call a "ghost mall" - mostly empty and in a state of severe decay.

So, I would avoid San Bernardino. If you plan on working there, just be careful. The surrounding suburbs of Loma Linda, Redlands, Grand Terrace or Highland are a better bet.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:49 PM

817 posts, read 922,764 times
I worked on Hospitality for 17 years. I also was a soccer referee with numerous assignments in San Bernardino until I moved out of the area for work.

Almost all that has been said is accurate, except I used to ride the express bus into downtown LA and nothing compares to skid row in LA.

Having said that, I would add that a lot of state and county employees that worked in San Bernardino commuted from Alta Loma, and also I would recommend the communities that were mentioned, and also caution about most of Colton, Rialto, and Fontana.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:31 AM

17 posts, read 23,256 times
Thanks for all your input and advice. My original plans was to move to LA but I hear that the housing was very expensive. Is Riverside City better for kids and to live or I stick to my original plans of moving to LA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties