Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 11:34 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,783,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
-- a bedroom community to San Diego!
It is a lot more than a bedroom community. We can afford to live just about anywhere but chose here because we like it. This is also true of our neighbors . We don't commute anywhere. Typical bedroom communities don't have million dollar homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
LA and the OC look at the Inland Empire the same way San Francisco and San Jose look at Stockton/Modesto/Tracy/Lodi.
I am glad they do so it will keep them out of the IE.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:00 PM

99 posts, read 190,411 times
As an outsider but one who has relatives in Southern California and who has visited Southern California numerous times, I would have to say that the Inland Empire is part of the L.A. metro area in my mind.

Reason 1: Personal experience
My Southern California relatives live in three counties: Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino. While my closest relative and the one I by far interact with the most lives in L.A. County, we've made short visits with her to relatives in the two other counties, and never once had it ever crossed my mind that we were entering a different metro area. My close relative also doesn't seem to consider these other relatives as living in a different metro area, and she visits them frequently. Yes, the driving distances are a bit far, but the only thing I've ever thought was that people in L.A. are naturally used to driving more miles to get places, as everything is so spread out.

Reason 2: Geography
There's no distinct dividing line that separates L.A. County and San Bernardino County, and suburban development—not to mention streets and street names—continue unabated between the two counties. Riverside County is separated a bit by mountains, but the city of Riverside is just a hop and a skip away on the 91 Freeway from Orange County, which is almost always grouped with L.A.

Really, the only excuse I can think of that L.A. and the Inland Empire are considered two different metro areas is the long distances between the anchor cities of Riverside/San Bernardino and L.A. (and perhaps the attitudes/identities that residents in the two areas adopt for themselves and toward the other area). Otherwise, it's really no different from my perspective from a Dallas and Fort Worth-type situation (the situation I grew up in).

Old 02-01-2014, 03:35 PM

252 posts, read 519,903 times
I tend to use a rule of thumb. when you cross east of Pomona hills at cal poly your in the Ie . When i used to live in San Bernardino I would consider it not Los Angeles

Last edited by 7stringguitarguy; 02-01-2014 at 03:45 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwumavs View Post
As an outsider but one who has relatives in Southern California and who has visited Southern California numerous times, I would have to say that the Inland Empire is part of the L.A. metro area in my mind.

Reason 1: Personal experience
My Southern California relatives live in three counties: Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino. While my closest relative and the one I by far interact with the most lives in L.A. County, we've made short visits with her to relatives in the two other counties, and never once had it ever crossed my mind that we were entering a different metro area. My close relative also doesn't seem to consider these other relatives as living in a different metro area, and she visits them frequently. Yes, the driving distances are a bit far, but the only thing I've ever thought was that people in L.A. are naturally used to driving more miles to get places, as everything is so spread out.

Reason 2: Geography
There's no distinct dividing line that separates L.A. County and San Bernardino County, and suburban development—not to mention streets and street names—continue unabated between the two counties. Riverside County is separated a bit by mountains, but the city of Riverside is just a hop and a skip away on the 91 Freeway from Orange County, which is almost always grouped with L.A.

Really, the only excuse I can think of that L.A. and the Inland Empire are considered two different metro areas is the long distances between the anchor cities of Riverside/San Bernardino and L.A. (and perhaps the attitudes/identities that residents in the two areas adopt for themselves and toward the other area). Otherwise, it's really no different from my perspective from a Dallas and Fort Worth-type situation (the situation I grew up in).
There is a definite break between the Temecula Valley and metro LA or Metro San Diego. The Temecula Valley is part of the IE in SW Riverside County. There is no defined break between metro LA and western SB County.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:15 AM

36 posts, read 72,512 times
If you went to Caribou, Maine and you wanted someone to understand where you're from geographically, Id say "Los Angeles area." But for the most part. No. the I.E. is something different all together.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missionsix View Post
If you went to Caribou, Maine and you wanted someone to understand where you're from geographically, Id say "Los Angeles area." But for the most part. No. the I.E. is something different all together.
Living in Murrieta, I don't have any connection to LA. I tell people that we live an hour north of San Diego on the 15.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:27 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,876,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I consider myself part of the Greater L.A. area. I'm only 15 miles East of the L.A. County line and 45 miles East of Downtown.
How much time does that translate to during rush hour might give it a different perspective.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:13 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,993,670 times
Rush hour is no concern of mine. The biggest obstacle I have getting to work is stepping over my sleeping dog.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Rush hour is no concern of mine. The biggest obstacle I have getting to work is stepping over my sleeping dog.
You have that problem too? Mine likes to lay right in the doorway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties