Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 09:19 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Living in Murrieta, I don't have any connection to LA. I tell people that we live an hour north of San Diego on the 15.
Same here. When I lived in Temecula I felt more connected to San Diego. It was easier and faster to get to San Diego than to LA. It's right on the border of San Diego County. I "think" most of the long distance commuters head to San Diego too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 05:52 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Same here. When I lived in Temecula I felt more connected to San Diego. It was easier and faster to get to San Diego than to LA. It's right on the border of San Diego County. I "think" most of the long distance commuters head to San Diego too.
I don't commute anywhere. We go to San Diego quite often to play tourist. We often stay downtown for a 2 or 3 nights. We never go to LA unless we have to such as going to LAX.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:18 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
The Inland Empire doesn't have much national recognition. I would be willing to bet a grand majority of people that aren't in California are not familiar with the name of this area. I myself hadn't heard of it until a few years ago, and it was just when I was researching some cities and statistical data.

I'm still a little lost on some things though. Is the Inland Empire its own city with its own government, city council, and mayor?

Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

I'm still a little lost on some things though. Is the Inland Empire its own city with its own government, city council, and mayor?
No, it is dozens of cities, towns, and unincorporated areas. Each city has its own government/city council/mayor/etc. The anchors are Riverside and San Bernardino. Ontario, Corona, Fontana, Moreno Valley, Rancho Cucamonga, etc are also important members of the region.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:29 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
No, it is dozens of cities, towns, and unincorporated areas. Each city has its own government/city council/mayor/etc. The anchors are Riverside and San Bernardino. Ontario, Corona, Fontana, Moreno Valley, Rancho Cucamonga, etc are also important members of the region.
So the Inland Empire is just a large collection of cities and towns outside of L.A., making up its own metro, which in turn is part of the greater Los Angeles area?

Just thinking about LA and all the various cities, suburbs, townships, and other areas makes my head spin. It seems enormous, and sometimes seems larger than NYC. It's easy to get lost in the numbers I suppose, LA metro is over 12 million I believe, that is enormous.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
So the Inland Empire is just a large collection of cities and towns outside of L.A., making up its own metro, which in turn is part of the greater Los Angeles area?

Just thinking about LA and all the various cities, suburbs, townships, and other areas makes my head spin. It seems enormous, and sometimes seems larger than NYC. It's easy to get lost in the numbers I suppose, LA metro is over 12 million I believe, that is enormous.
First paragraph, yes.

Also keep in mind, there wouldn't be much of an Empire without LA and Orange County. The IE still feeds those two counties tons of commuters each day, so think of it as a New Jersey.

CA doesn't have townships.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:04 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
The Inland Empire doesn't have much national recognition. I would be willing to bet a grand majority of people that aren't in California are not familiar with the name of this area. I myself hadn't heard of it until a few years ago, and it was just when I was researching some cities and statistical data.

We are very happy that the IE doesn't have any national recognition.

Actually the city of Riverside was quite well known and at oe time was the richest city per capita in the US.

Riverside was founded in the early 1870s and is the birthplace of the California citrus industry as well as home of the Mission Inn, the largest Mission Revival Style building in the United States.[3] It is also home to the Riverside National Cemetery.

Last edited by JohnSoCal; 02-07-2014 at 09:14 PM..

Old 02-07-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
We are very happy that the IE doesn't have any national recognition.
Actually, considering its size, it's quite sad that it doesn't.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
"Inland Empire" is a name concocted by Chamber of Commerce types.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
"Inland Empire" is a name concocted by Chamber of Commerce types.
Yeah, because Greater Riverside sounds so much better.

^Sounds like an oxymoron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties