Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 3,232 times

Advertisements

You can find Green Card lottery information on USAGC's site

Green Card lottery USA-DV Lottery-USAGC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 07:46 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I see no reason he'd have to speak Spanish. It does help if you work in an industry like construction but for 99% of life no Spanish is needed. Also I wouldn't say taxes and fees are just as high as in London, there is no car congestion tax for one, and the general level of taxes in the US is much lower then in the UK. Of course, you also get fewer services (no universal health care) but it is a trade off.
Yeah I don't think they need to know spanish either. I only know a very small amount and I've managed to do damn well.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:02 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
RogDog seems to just be spewing nonsense. San Diego's crime rate is one of the lowest in the whole country and in 34 years neither I nor anyone in my family has ever had a car stolen. I have no idea where he is coming up with this stuff. Taxes and costs as high as in London? HA! He's obviously never been to London.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelieuk View Post
Hi Impala

We've already made applications through the green card lottery program (fortunately we both hold Irish passports). But obviously we're aware that it is not something that's not likely to materialise. I'm pretty sure the partner will get the highly skilled visa he is after. The problem is with me. With only an undergraduate degree and three years of experience, I'm not considered a rare opportunity for a potential employer. Might have to look into studying for a Masters degree if I won't find a job in time.

As for L.A - from the three times I've been there I could honestly say that it is not my cup of tea. But thanks for the info
You could get a student visa if you enrolled in Master's degree program at one of the schools here in San Diego even if you're only going to school part time. That would at least get you into the country. The other option would be to marry your partner because if he gets a visa (H1-b, I assume) then his spouse gets to come too.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelieuk View Post
Also, I know that San Diego is the home of a lot of Hispenic migrants, but trust me, it is nothing in comparison to London. London is a lot more diverse than any US city I've ever visited (including L.A and even New York). None of my neighbours are English. Every 3rd Londoner is foreign-born. In terms of diversity and taxes, I reckon San Diego would be a piece of cake. I'm more worried about getting a job, to be fair!
County wide I'd say about 1/4 of the population is Hispanic and most of them (other then the very recent immigrants) speak English. In the City itself Hispanics make up 27% while north county tends to be even whiter then the city itself. I'm not sure why this is even an issue with RogDog but to each his own, I guess.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:44 AM

239 posts, read 723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
You could get a student visa if you enrolled in Master's degree program at one of the schools here in San Diego even if you're only going to school part time. That would at least get you into the country. The other option would be to marry your partner because if he gets a visa (H1-b, I assume) then his spouse gets to come too.
These are good suggestions. The spouse of a H1-B visa holder gets an H4 visa which grants you the right to live here for the duration of the visa but I believe it does not grant you permission to work.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 PM

12 posts, read 54,805 times
If you're looking for warmth and sunshine, you'll have it in spades. Depending on where you live, be prepared for "fire season" during the early fall, the whole city catches on fire! No, Not really, but a lot of areas will be evacuated.
Not sure about journalism jobs or visas. But I'm sure you're better at determining how you'll support yourself than we are.
My experience here is that it's made up of a bunch of little neighborhoods, and you don't have to live in downtown San Diego. Prices, traffic, homes, are incredibly varied, but universally expensive.
I left because I couldn't take the constant sunshine with no change in the seasons, and because I hated having to drive on a freeway to get anywhere. Large cities are not my cup of tea, but my mother lives in Scripps Ranch (affluent neighborhood) and LOVES it.
Where I lived in Penasquitos and where I shopped in 4s Ranch and Poway you got some Mexican influence, some Spanish speaking, some illegal immigrants. It is San Diego, after all. But if you pick a nice area it shouldn't be too bad. Really good Mexican restaurants are the trade-off.
Oh, and go to Pat and Oscar's immediately upon arrival.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:11 AM

13 posts, read 42,910 times
Work: Journalism in SD (and America) is dead, so you might want to consider lateral fields (teaching, marketing, start your own blog, etc.).

Transportation: Yes, you definitely need a car each.

Size: Compared to LA and SF/Silicon Valley, SD is considerably smaller in both population and job opportunity. The upside is that the traffic (compared to those two cities) is bearable (especially if you go towards North County, etc.).

Peoples and Animals: People in SD are extremely friendly, and the county is very dog friendly. If you are renting before buying, so many landlords take dogs (even big dogs in small condos, etc.). Anywhere you go, you'll see people with their dogs (and just look at the car next to you - bet there is a dog in it!). There is even Dog Beach in Del Mar - dogs off their leash at the beach - very cool!

Weather: Coastal properties can see more fog and clouds than you'd like, if you're trying to get away from the UK weather. Moving about 2 miles inland helps a lot if you want to cut down on the cloudiness. (Our friend refers to North County coasts as "dreary; reminded me of London!")

Welcome, and enjoy!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 3,232 times
[LEFT][RIGHT]Out of all the places in USA, I believe that California is good place of you. There is both jobs in regular media, as in other places, but there is many more Hi-tech / Online media opportunities there. You will need a car though, that's for sure. I am assuming that you have a green card / work permit …[/LEFT][/RIGHT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego