Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:57 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,393,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlarsen23 View Post
Since the OP's actions would endanger the lives of my children, their own children, and my community, I don't give two figs about whether the OP asked for my advice on their original decision. As far as I'm concerned, not vaccinating is tantamount to child abuse.

My opinion would be if a parent chose not to vaccinate their kids then it should be mandatory to home school their kids. I'm surprised to hear that schools would allow kids to come to school without being vaccinated.

All the parents that don't want to vaccinate their kids should all home school together.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:23 PM

6,898 posts, read 8,952,777 times
You don't need this. You irresponsibly want this.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:41 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,995,366 times
Darwin's Law in action. Eventually they will be a dying breed.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:33 PM

123 posts, read 405,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterblue View Post
I vaccinated both my children but if I had to do it over again I would take a different approach. Ends up my son is allergic to Thimerosal, which is a perservative used in vaccinations. When my son was in H.S. we had him allergy tested and he came up allergic to thimerosal (which is a very common allergy)...which means he was allergic to every vaccine he ever got! He was sickly as a baby, always crying, had lots of ear infections. In speaking to the Naturopath I go to now...I should have never vaccinated him at such a young age (or at all considering his allergy). Her take on it and what she has done with her own daughter is that infants are just too young to withstand the vaccinations they get. If they are breast fed, they are getting all the immunity they need from the breast milk. That way you can delay vaccinating until their systems have matured and then only a few vaccinations are needed and at long intervals from one another. If I had known what I know now when my kids were babies I would have done everything very differently. My son has been plagued by health issues his whole life....maybe things would have been different if he got a better start without the vaccinations. My daughter hasn't had any noticable effects of being vaccinated, but that doesn't mean she might have been better off if we waited and followed a different protocol.

More information is being uncovered about this issue and it is certainly worth continuing to look into it and research findings so we can figure out what is best for our children's health.
There is a perspective I can agree with.

The parents need to inform themselves and make the decision they believe is best for THEIR child, regardless of what the status quo preaches.

I am still waiting for someone to show me the studies regarding the interactions between the multiple vaccines which are given to children at the various ages.

I totally fail to see the reason behind the angst of the righteous indignant. If your child is vaccinated then they are immune. Right? What do you have to worry about?

Or is it just that you can't stand freedom?

You know, freedom is the right to make the wrong decision. If you don't have the right to make the wrong decision then you are not free.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:26 PM

37,147 posts, read 41,350,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post

The parents need to inform themselves and make the decision they believe is best for THEIR child, regardless of what the status quo preaches.

I am still waiting for someone to show me the studies regarding the interactions between the multiple vaccines which are given to children at the various ages.

I totally fail to see the reason behind the angst of the righteous indignant. If your child is vaccinated then they are immune. Right? What do you have to worry about?

You know, freedom is the right to make the wrong decision. If you don't have the right to make the wrong decision then you are not free.
See here. The article includes 63 references.

http://www.aapdistrictii.org/pdf/Off...n_overload.pdf

and here:

Challenges in the Development, Licensure, and Use of Combination Vaccines

and for how combination vaccines must be evaluated for FDA approval:

CDC - Multiple Vaccines - Vaccine Safety

The concerns that parents of vaccinated children have are based on the fact that no vaccine carries a guarantee of 100% protection.

The concern that parents of children with a medical contraindication to vaccination, such as being on chemo, is that their child could be at higher risk of a complication or death from something like measles. Also, infants could be exposed and become seriously ill before they are old enough to be vaccinated and protected.

For the most part, those who do not vaccinate their children are basing their decision on faulty information, much of it derived from the internet, which is not supported by scientific research.

And as far as making wrong choices is concerned, you are not free to make a wrong choice that adversely impacts others, such as driving while drunk.

You are free to not vaccinate yourself against tetanus. It is not communicable. Vaccination against communicable diseases should be required for the privilege of living in a society for the protection of the society as a whole.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:49 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,040,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

And as far as making wrong choices is concerned, you are not free to make a wrong choice that adversely impacts others, such as driving while drunk.

You are free to not vaccinate yourself against tetanus. It is not communicable. Vaccination against communicable diseases should be required for the privilege of living in a society for the protection of the society as a whole.
I've already said my piece on this thread, but I just had to add

Old 05-16-2011, 01:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:

You make a good point as for parents deciding what is right for their child, but if enough parents decide, for whatever reason not to vacsinate, many of the childhood illnesses that science worked so hard to eliminate or mostly eliminate will come right back.

It would be nice if the government did not have to step in; it would be wonderful if parents would just accept the precausions most doctors recommend.

Yes, there are studies that repute the need for vaccinating our children, but they are in the minority.

Nita

Old 05-17-2011, 03:57 PM

123 posts, read 405,896 times
Thank you Suzy for the reply.

The first and third article each at least acknowledged the existence of the issue of my concern, but neither one discussed it with any depth. End note #49 from the first article is the only item that shows any promise.

The lack of a large body of work on this subject is a point of great concern for myself.

I fully appreciate this statement: "And as far as making wrong choices is concerned, you are not free to make a wrong choice that adversely impacts others, such as driving while drunk."

If I, as an educated parent, believe that administering the vaccine poses a greater risk than not administering the vaccine, then on which side of the line do I find myself?

I only wish that those who are so adamant about the rights of others with regard to vaccines were equally adamant about the rights of unborn children.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,285,697 times
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one" -Spock

Old 05-17-2011, 04:12 PM

37,147 posts, read 41,350,718 times
Quote:
Thank you Suzy for the reply.

The first and third article each at least acknowledged the existence of the issue of my concern, but neither one discussed it with any depth. End note #49 from the first article is the only item that shows any promise.

The lack of a large body of work on this subject is a point of great concern for myself.

I fully appreciate this statement: "And as far as making wrong choices is concerned, you are not free to make a wrong choice that adversely impacts others, such as driving while drunk."

If I, as an educated parent, believe that administering the vaccine poses a greater risk than not administering the vaccine, then on which side of the line do I find myself?

I only wish that those who are so adamant about the rights of others with regard to vaccines were equally adamant about the rights of unborn children.
The point I was trying to make is that combination vaccines are tested for efficacy and safety. The FDA requires it. There would be no sense in producing a combination vaccine if it did not produce adequate rates of immunity or if the side effects or complication risks were greater. Combination vaccines are safe and effective. What are your specific concerns?

Also, the belief that the risks outweigh the benefits is a fallacy. If we stop vaccinating and herd immunity decreases, these diseases will come back with a vengeance.

Please do not bring abortion into this discussion. It has no place here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego