Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 02:44 PM

227 posts, read 494,956 times

Advertisements

Everyone is whining about a new billion stadium for the Chargers so they can stay. I say why not go the other route and build a new arena. The Sports Arena is a dying piece of crap and it is not like teams wouldn't want to move here they just wouldn't have anywhere to play. I heard someone talking about a possible arena in National City, why not try it. The Chargers may or may not leave but instead of wasting money on a stadium only to be used for a few months. Lets build a new arena to attract more events to the city and maybe a NBA and/or NHL franchise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 02:48 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
who cares, as long as tax dollars don't pay for it.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:58 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,936 times
While I agree with that, think about a new stadium. It wouldn't only be used "for a few months" The Super Bowl could come back as well as the World Cup, and other large events that would bring a lot to San Diego's economy. Both are great ideas.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
While I agree with that, think about a new stadium. It wouldn't only be used "for a few months" The Super Bowl could come back as well as the World Cup, and other large events that would bring a lot to San Diego's economy. Both are great ideas.
San Diego can't handle a World Cup and only barely a Super Bowl. Not enough of anything (airport, rail, etc) to handle 3 million people coming to San Diego!

Old 02-20-2011, 03:08 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
San Diego can't handle a World Cup and only barely a Super Bowl. Not enough of anything (airport, rail, etc) to handle 3 million people coming to San Diego!
I agree with Sassberto. I don't think San Diego could handle thse types of events. Anyone have any idea how many hotel rooms there are in San Diego?

Old 02-20-2011, 03:17 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
well tell that to the people who are considering San Diego for a World Cup game.....if the U.S. is picked, but this would be like 10 years away so there is time to build more lines and such

Old 02-20-2011, 03:20 PM

227 posts, read 494,956 times
Instead of shooting for the huge events, let's just go for the smaller ones. Build a new Arena and let try to get one of these teams that are looking to relocate (Kings(NBA), Thrashers, Islanders, Coyotes, Hornets(NBA), etc). With a better arena teams will give us a better look as a host and we could start rising our profile in the sports outlook (All star games, NCAA March Madness, UFC, Concerts, etc) Plus we can start taking some of the Southern California markets that usually goes to LA and Anaheim.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
well tell that to the people who are considering San Diego for a World Cup game.....if the U.S. is picked, but this would be like 10 years away so there is time to build more lines and such
Then let us get picked before we go building stadiums for teams and tournaments that don't exist yet :-)

Old 02-20-2011, 06:45 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,855,027 times
I don't know where you guys are coming from on this one. The two Super Bowls held in San Diego (1998? and 2003) have both been great. There were none of the typical problems that have plagued the games in other cities (ice storm in Dallas, bad public transporation in Jacksonville, etc.) San Diego has handled the event well, it's just the stadium is old and outdated according to NFL standards. If a new stadium was built, the Super Bowl would be back.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
I don't know where you guys are coming from on this one. The two Super Bowls held in San Diego (1998? and 2003) have both been great. There were none of the typical problems that have plagued the games in other cities (ice storm in Dallas, bad public transporation in Jacksonville, etc.) San Diego has handled the event well, it's just the stadium is old and outdated according to NFL standards. If a new stadium was built, the Super Bowl would be back.
San Diego can handle a Super Bowl (barely) but World Cup is a whole other story.

For the record, in 2003 the trolley broke down and the fans broke open the doors and walked down the track to downtown, I was one of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego