Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,132 times

Advertisements

A quick synopsis...

My fiance is in the Navy (32nd) and I'll be moving to San Diego and need some insight on where we should move (apartments). Not TOO far from the base, we'll have transportation. Only 1bed, 1bath apartment; nothing too fancy but nice enough to make our own, nice neighborhood (our cars would last staying there). We've checked out rent.com but don't really know what we are getting ourselves into as far as neighborhoods. I'm just looking for referrals. Thanks so much in advance!!!!

Please Help, every comment will be considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 09:52 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,601 times
If you are at 32nd Street your best bet would to be the S.Bay.The cities down here are simi-rough,but it just depends on where you are at.But I mean what is rougher then Detroit?That whole city is rough.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:24 AM

18 posts, read 99,947 times
The Chula Vista area is nice. I imagine there could be rough areas and I'm not aware, because I don't live there, but what I've seen is a pretty and friendly community. I moved here two years ago and ended up in East county, because it's so far inland, the temps are warmer than in South bay, but I like it. I can't advise you on what's a "bad" neighborhood, because I haven't really encountered one personally. I think the area by Balboa park is really pretty too. They're not going to provide you w/military housing?

Old 08-20-2007, 11:30 AM

989 posts, read 2,440,862 times
where is the navy base located here? that would help me recommend some places. how many military bases do they have in the san diego area and where are they all located?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:47 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
If you are at 32nd Street your best bet would to be the S.Bay.The cities down here are simi-rough,but it just depends on where you are at.But I mean what is rougher then Detroit?That whole city is rough.
JK I have a question. The nice parts of Chula Vista are the eastern parts. I believe you've commented in the past about the issues in western CV. How well does the traffic from eastern Chula Vista feed into the 5 which is the road the OP would take to 32nd Street. I'm wondering if the commute time the OP would save by being in South Bay would be eaten up by surface streets in CV that don't move well. I've lived in sections of San Diego where half of my commuting time has just been getting to the freeway. So from your experience is this a valid issue, or do the main thoroughfares in Chula Vista still flow at rush hour?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 PM

840 posts, read 6,514,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
where is the navy base located here? that would help me recommend some places. how many military bases do they have in the san diego area and where are they all located?

There's a few.

San Diego, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-20-2007, 05:12 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
Thanks. I'm still not sure what area the OP is talking about though.

City of San Diego Neighborhoods Map (broken link) check out that link for a list of San Diego neighborhoods, that should help the OP orient themselves as to which neighborhoods are where.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,132 times
Default Thanks

Well not EVERYWHERE in Detroit is rough like that, but yeah I've been exposed to some of the harder areas and it's not fear that I would have in a bad area but I just want to live in a nice area with nice things to look at and I kinda have that here but I don't want to downgrade ya know.

Yes they do provide us w/ military housing but we have to find the place and they'll pay and right now he's out to sea. I was just trying to get an idea.

Where all the military bases are... I don't know; sorry.

And we were looking in Chula Vista and I saw some pretty reasonable apts there I just wanted to ask b/c I saw some bad things listed on here about the areas surrounding the base and was wondering how bad it really was. LOL.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:08 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,601 times
KETTLEPOT:Well the eastern parts are ok.Just about 2 hours ago the police shut down streets in Eastlake and had a chopper with lights on and all.So like I said in other post before,it's not really paradise.About 60% of eastern residents lived on the westside a few yers back.(That's just a guess and I am one of those West gone East people)
Arterial streets (E,H,L/Telagraph Cyn/Otay Lakes,Palomar,Orange/Olympic,Main,Brodway,4th,La Media,Eastlake,Heritage) flow very good believe it or not.I live about 1 mile from the S.Bay's busiest intersection(E "H" and 805) and it flows like any other time of the day.There are more cars out so the lines to wait for green lights can be long but it's not complete gridlock.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,425 times
Welcome to San Diego.

I have lived in San Diego (South Bay) most of my life, 32nd St Base is about 8 miles from where I grew up. Imperial Beach is about 9 miles south of the base and a 20 minute drive at rush hour. Imperial Beach Naval Air Station is also there for Navy families, and the bases at Coronado are about 6 miles up the Silver Strand. Imperial Beach is a small funky beach town but has a large navy population due to the many bases nearby.

The town is very small but it's finally coming of age. Navy families will probably be priced out of the rental market here later but rentals are reasonable now.

Chula Vista is a nice area also but it has grown out of its ability to move traffic at a reasonable rate. The population has almost doubled in 15 years as most of the farmland has been blacktopped. The hundred square mile Otay Ranch was sold to developers. Lots of new homes and shopping malls now.

Also call base housing and check into services and recomendations on rentals. They may also refer you to Navy family organizations that can help you get setteled in.

I think you will like San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego