Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:56 PM

5 posts, read 6,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Truth be told, even in the "bad" parts of San Diego, you are safer than in many major metro areas. There were 29 murders last year. The last time it was that low was when I was popping up in Scripps Memorial, so that number needs to be put in perspective.

But even if that's a really low number, Philly had 324 murders, or ten times as many. DC had its lowest murder total in decades as well, and there were 108 there.

Do you want to live in southeast San Diego, where you've got gangbangers running around? No. But even there, it's not like you're taking your life into your hands every single time you walk outside.

So when we say, well, there are some sketchy people hanging out in Balboa Park -- and there are -- would it be unsafe to live there?

Absolutely not.
I would imagine that san diego isn't nearly as bad as LA. In 2009 I drove down to LA to play a soccer game (moorpark college vs compton city college) and had felt that vibe like everyone on the street had a gun haha. Could've been all the pre-misconceptions about compton, but you definitely explained that well and I do feel more at ease now about san diego when putting things into perspective like that.

Going back to mentioning being able to walk outside and feeling somewhat secure...do you personally feel secure if you are walking around the city in the later hours of the day (after dark)? In Portland we were able to walk around most of the city/downtown at any given time without feeling completely unsafe.

Last edited by DavidS7; 04-17-2012 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:03 PM

5 posts, read 6,556 times
I've heard that traffic is actually very reasonable in SD in comparison to other like cities, so living in the city and working outside of it does make good sense (even if I decide to take my work to a coffee shop after dropping my gf off at kohl's till we get to know the area better). SD is gorgeous. I certainly wouldn't want to miss out on the experience of what makes it attractive, as that is one of the main reasons we're moving there

Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS7 View Post
Wow...yeah that does sound like parking is scarce. We will have two vehicles so now I'm thinking downtown may not be the best bet especially since I just noticed there was a kohl's somewhere near lemon grove area...ideally it would be nice to live somewhat close to that location. Thanks for the parking info!

I was looking around on craigslist and found some good possible studios for rent. Do any of you guys have experience living in a place that is about 400 square feet. I'm certainly not opposed to it as nice as it is outside

I'm sitting in a 10x10 bedroom right now, and am thinking in retrospect what 400sq-500sq would be like. We won't have a lot of baggage other than my gf's clothes and shoes Lol.. and a few odds and ends for decor.
David,

You would be incredibly lucky to get a place for $1200/mo downtown with 2 parking spaces that is decent. I lived downtown for 6 years during the boom and bust years. There are a lot of great things about it down there and other things not so much.
The Kohls you are talking about is actually in College Grove/Oak Park, a section of City Heights, San Diego proper. Lemon Grove is actually on the southern side of that area and is not part of San Diego proper. It is its own city.

If you are renting, go with a fun place to live as others have suggested already. I would suggest my area, but its pretty tame bordering on boring for someone looking to 'experience' San Diego.

You might be able to swing an apartment closer to Balboa Park for your budget, but parking STILL can be an issue in some parts. Just keep in mind some of the advice given already so far, but you really cant wrong with any parts of SD. Its what you make of it and getting to places of interest is a short drive away.
This is compared to other metro cities in the US, where distance is irrelevant when traffic congestion is a problem.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 04-17-2012 at 01:40 PM..

Old 04-17-2012, 02:10 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
[quote=DavidS7;23901975] ... Do any of you guys have experience living in a place that is about 400 square feet. ... QUOTE]

Our 2BR condo is 1000 square feet total. It's feeling a bit crowded for the two of us, but that's mostly because we tend to be packrats. I'd guess you could cope with 400 square feet, especially if you each have a 'getaway' place.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:42 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
[quote=oddstray;23903552]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS7 View Post
... Do any of you guys have experience living in a place that is about 400 square feet. ... QUOTE]

Our 2BR condo is 1000 square feet total. It's feeling a bit crowded for the two of us, but that's mostly because we tend to be packrats. I'd guess you could cope with 400 square feet, especially if you each have a 'getaway' place.

For two people? No way. My place is a 1-bedroom, about 525sf, and I think it's about the smallest I can imagine two people living in without killing each other.

OP, The good news is that with a budget of $1200, you can easily find a large 1-br or regular-sized 2-br in most of the central neighborhoods like North Park, South Park, University Heights, Normal Heights, Golden Hill (West of 30th, North of the 94) etc, etc, etc.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:57 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
I live in a 400sqft cottage. I don't have enough room or storage space, and it's just me and one cat. I also have absolutely NO PARKING! It's street parking, and when I come in at night, sometimes it can take me up to 30 minutes to find a place to park, and that's 4-5 blocks away from where I live.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I live in a 400sqft cottage. I don't have enough room or storage space, and it's just me and one cat. I also have absolutely NO PARKING! It's street parking, and when I come in at night, sometimes it can take me up to 30 minutes to find a place to park, and that's 4-5 blocks away from where I live.
Yeah, parking's a b*** in North Park. I can almost always park within a block of my place, though, if it's before like 10 or 11 at night, and if things are really desperate I always have the 15-minute parking in front of the grade school on the next block, since I leave for work before the parking restrictions set in at 7am.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:15 PM

I'm actually in City Heights, in Corridor. I'm behind North Park Produce, and their customers take up a lot of street parking during the day. When I come in at night, I park across ECB, by the US Bank, that's IF there's any parking, thanks to the Soda Bar and The Eleven.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I'm actually in City Heights, in Corridor. I'm behind North Park Produce, and their customers take up a lot of street parking during the day. When I come in at night, I park across ECB, by the US Bank, that's IF there's any parking, thanks to the Soda Bar and The Eleven.
Don't blame me, I bike or cab it to the bar

Old 04-18-2012, 04:45 PM

Not you, everyone else! And I don't go to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego