Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego or Connecticut?
San Diego 16 69.57%
Connecticut 6 26.09%
Somewhere else (please specify in thread) 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 09:23 PM

89 posts, read 327,721 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm trying to decide between moving to San Diego/Encinitas/Carlsbad or the southern part of Connecticut in Fairfield or New Haven County near the shoreline. Career opportunities are okay in either of the two areas, and the income will be roughly the same (around $100,000). I'm currently in the NYC metro area. Please tell me what you think is best given my situation.

- Single male, late twenties
- Want reasonable access to the city without living in it (I like peace and quiet in a suburban home)
- Like warm and sunny weather, but also like experiencing the four seasons
- Like relaxed and laid-back attitudes, but also appreciate sophistication and ambition
- Eventually want kids and do not want to have to move to a new metropolitan area
- Enjoy a healthy, active lifestyle with outdoor activities
- Like beach views and the beach environment, but also like being able to go to a busy downtown area
- Whole family is in the NYC area
- Don't want to be in the rat race and prefer a lower-stress day-to-day living experience
- Don't want to spend all day in the office and commuting to the office
- Like having a car
- Want to own a single family detached home with a garage in the near future

Thanks in advance for your time and input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 09:56 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
If you want the four seasons like you get in most of the country, San Diego is not for you. Sure, it will get colder, and drop into the 40s at night in the winter. And it will rain quite a bit in the winter.

But if having a distinct winter, spring, summer, and fall is important then this is not the place for you.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:01 PM

89 posts, read 327,721 times
Thanks. Any other responses?

Old 08-07-2012, 06:09 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,455 times
I like Connecticut. Based on the fact that you like four seasons and your family is in the NYC area, it sounds like the right choice. If you lose your job, the economy is MUCH better better and more diversified in the NYC metro and if worse comes to worse is commutable from New Haven as is Hartford. The economy is still very bad in San Diego and there is a large sunshine tax. It is not possible to commute to LA from San Diego. I also think New Haven and the shoreline are significantly less expensive.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:24 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
I don't know, given your criteria, sans family and having four seasons (although you can drive to any season you want from SD, ie, snow, desert heat or thunderstorms), SD is the obvious choice. At your age, why not try something different and if it doesn't work out, you can always go back to NYC.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:21 PM

25 posts, read 54,862 times
Warning: Stereotypes to come.

- Single male, late twenties

* Hmm, San Diego certainly wins in the pulchritudinous babe category

- Want reasonable access to the city without living in it (I like peace and quiet in a suburban home)

* You can get this either place

- Like warm and sunny weather, but also like experiencing the four seasons

* You can always get the 4 seasons in San Diego by traveling to the mountains or desert. You will live in the seasons whether you like it or not in CT (although fall in New England beats the crap out of fall wildfires in CA.)

- Like relaxed and laid-back attitudes, but also appreciate sophistication and ambition

* New Haven probably has more sophistication - SD is pretty laid back and (outside of the techies in the Golden Triangle area) more slackeresque

- Eventually want kids and do not want to have to move to a new metropolitan area

* Either place

- Enjoy a healthy, active lifestyle with outdoor activities

* There is no place in the US like San Diego for outdoor activities. You can run, cycle, climb, etc. any day of the year. World-class athletes make their home out here for that reason. People are definitely more fit here.

- Like beach views and the beach environment, but also like being able to go to a busy downtown area

* How to put this nicely? OK I can't: Connecticut beaches suck compared to California. Sorry, it's the truth. Most of the shoreline in CT is private anyway, so you can't go there unless you are Smedley Moneypants. This is one of the truly great things about CA - an entire shoreline of awesome public beach.

- Whole family is in the NYC area

* Do you like them? Do they like you? That will determine which place is better

- Don't want to be in the rat race and prefer a lower-stress day-to-day living experience

* Again, SD is generally more laid-back

- Don't want to spend all day in the office and commuting to the office

* Well, either place can have great or terrible commutes

- Like having a car

* CA is the place for car love for sure.

- Want to own a single family detached home with a garage in the near future

* OK, this is definitely easier in CT - housing is roughly 2-3x higher in CA for the same thing. But that is because of some of the points above...

Old 08-08-2012, 11:13 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
didn't you create the same thread a few months ago? i remember the consensus being Connecticut since you couldn't get over the fact you would be living on the other side of the country from your family.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:17 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
didn't you create the same thread a few months ago? i remember the consensus being Connecticut since you couldn't get over the fact you would be living on the other side of the country from your family.
Yep, he started the same thread on 02/28/2012.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
got heeeem

Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 PM

559 posts, read 937,026 times
As a non-cali native who lived in CA, FL, NC, MI and TX states in my whole life. I put CA last on the list considering if I have to live in major city like San Diego, LA, SF, SJ etc..... CA state govt is bankrupt and whatever you make in CA will end up having nothing in your pocket (after all taxes and expenses) at the end of a month in savings. I make six figures per year but at the end of the day I think about how much I can save at the cost of putting my retirement at risk due to low savings and what I get in return. SD is pretty good in weather overall during the whole year, no doubts about that. Besides that everything is super expensive from gas to housing to food etc. FYI, I live in Texas and lot more happier right now. I know more than 5 family friends who moved from CA to TX in last 3 years, 2 of them were from SD, 1 from Santa Barbara and 2 from San Jose.

This is my honest answer based on what I feel about California state, I am sure others may not like or agree with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego