Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:00 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times

Advertisements

Snickers hasn't been outside since he became an indoor cat 4 1/2 years ago, he just sleeps in the windows. The fleas came in on me from the outside. My slumlord doesn't believe in keeping up the yard, so all we have is dead grass and weeds with the exception of the rainy season. It would kill him to spend any money for improvements, though.

The fleas were so bad this year that I found them on me while I was on the bus and driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Sheesh, people.

I live seven blocks away and I walk with my cats in the carrier. Bagheera weighs 15 pounds, plus there is the weight of the carrier.

Wah. You have to walk a whopping three blocks from Park it on Market, or you have to circle the block to find a parking spot.

Cry me a river.
I'm sure you're stronger than I am. I had my fill of looking for parking downtown, and it's just as bad where I live now, just in a different way.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:13 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Right. How long have you lived in SoCal? Walking? Have you seen drivers here literally sit in a parking lot to be 3 spaces closer to destination when they can just park it and walk? Lol

My post was an FYI for anyone unfamiliar with the environs of a downtown setting. Reread the posts dude.
And that's why downtown places love to advertise how you can walk to everything. Because nobody walks.

The trend is away from driving to everything and people are shifting away from owning vehicles. Don't believe me?

Why young Americans are not buying cars - Sep. 17, 2012

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/aug/06/baby-you-can-drive-my-car2go-car-sharing/

Old 10-27-2012, 03:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
And that's why downtown places love to advertise how you can walk to everything. Because nobody walks.

The trend is away from driving to everything and people are shifting away from owning vehicles. Don't believe me?

Why young Americans are not buying cars - Sep. 17, 2012

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/aug/06/baby-you-can-drive-my-car2go-car-sharing/
you're preaching to the choir.

This is a public forum. The OP and others are looking for a good vet sans location specifics. Going downtown is not a realistic option for people that don't go down there often or are familiar with the city.

Of course I get the city thing but you assume people outside of downtown 'get it' lol

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 10-27-2012 at 03:32 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,210 times
Thank you to everyone for your insight. Also, thanks for the reminder about parking. I do tend to forget what a hassle it can be! I will look into your suggestions. Again, thank you.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
you're preaching to the choir.

This is a public forum. The OP and others are looking for a good vet sans location specifics. Going downtown is not a realistic option for people that don't go down there often or are familiar with the city.

Of course I get the city thing but you assume people outside of downtown 'get it' lol
Why not? If you've got someone who's really good with animals, and the downside is you've got to drive around the block a few times or omigawd, pay for parking, isn't it worth it?

It's like saying, that doctor is really good but I won't go there because it's hard to find a place to park. In fact, it's exactly the same thing, except you're talking about four legged creatures versus two.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
Well I chose docs for myslelf based on convenience and geography.I actually switched docs when I moved from downtown to OB. Now granted if I had a health issue id drive anywhere in the area. I would do the same for my cat.I drove one of my cats 60 miles for a blood transfusion.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:45 PM

Well I chose docs for myslelf based on convenience and geography.I actually switched docs when I moved from downtown to OB. Now granted if I had a health issue id drive anywhere in the area. I would do the same for my cat.

There are many other vets that have excellent Yelp reviews besides the one at Market Street, and don't involve fighting for parking or paying to park in a garage. What's good for one person isn't good for someone else. I have to take in account the fact that I don't have regular working hours, since I don't work in an office anymore.

I don't care how good the doctor/vet is, I'm not going to park in a parking garage or drive keep driving around the block until a meter opens up,whether it's for me or my cats. When I do have to go downtown for some reason, I take the bus, and only drive if I'm working too late to catch a bus home. I have a referral from a friend who has six cats, or I can have the mobile vet that's excellent come out. It's MY choice to use who I choose.

Last edited by moved; 10-29-2012 at 01:03 AM..

Old 10-30-2012, 12:07 AM

And who said it wasn't?

I used to drive past dozens of vets when I lived in the DC area to get to a vet who had seen my cats for their entire lives. It was a 20-30 minute drive, but I gladly made it because I knew I could trust the doctor, they wouldn't try to rip me off, and because they knew my pets and knew me well. Before they moved offices, the drive was more like 45 minutes to an hour.

You may think otherwise. Whatever. Someone asked for a good vet, I recommended one, and yes, I do think it's ridiculous to make parking the reason you do or do not use the services of a very high quality practitioner.

If you don't like that, well, that and a quarter will get you a few minutes of parking.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:30 AM

The OP and others are looking for a good vet sans location specifics. Going downtown is not a realistic option for people that don't go down there often.

I rarely go downtown since I moved out of the EV 4 1/2 years ago. A doctor for myself or my pets is not feasible downtown. There are many other good vets besides Market Street. If going to Market Street vet is good for you, you should continue to go there, but it's not good for me, or others. My former hairdresser has six cats, DOESN'T use Market Street, and has no intention of using them. He also doesn't go downtown.

The subject of this thread is looking for a good vet, not harping on how good one is, but there's a parking problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego