Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:21 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
There's no designated parking but you can pop into Park it on Market, which is three blocks away. Street parking is easily available and I've seen the staff give people quarters so they can park their car.

Seriously, I highly, highly, highly recommend them. Dr. Dorian is awesome. When I pop in to get supplies, he will talk to me about Bagheera and his diabetes.
I used to live at 14th & Market, so I know the horrors of parking there, of which there isn't during the day. I don't believe in paying for parking, so Park it on Market is out of the question. I prefer my vets to have parking lots.

Snickers is about 17lbs, and Smokey is about 13lbs, so walking three blocks is out of the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 11:01 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
There's no designated parking but you can pop into Park it on Market, which is three blocks away. Street parking is easily available and I've seen the staff give people quarters so they can park their car.

Seriously, I highly, highly, highly recommend them. Dr. Dorian is awesome. When I pop in to get supplies, he will talk to me about Bagheera and his diabetes.
^^ This. We took a chance on them years ago when they first opened. Before they had opened we went to the VCA in Hillcrest and they were just awful. Said our cat had a heart murmur and heart worm when in fact he didnt but an experienced vet explained some things in how it could be seen that way.

We were really stoked when Market St opened downtown and met both Dorian and (forget her name) other vet and they did have incredible bedside manner and really took the time to explain what was going on with kitty when he was having some issues. Our Yelp review was one of the first and our kitty photo is still up there in the office

Since we moved, we werent sure whether to keep going that whole 10 mins down the 94 or not and fortunately found vets equally as good about 2 blocks from where we live now.
If you dont live downtown or understand certain urban realities already, its a tough argument to make with the parking situation. Only people that live in the city will get having to pay for parking just to go to the vet, so its not for everyone, but for 'parents' of domesticated animals, Market St are hard to beat when stressed out with pets health.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:01 PM

I lived at 14th & Market for six years, three of them without a vehicle. On a day that there was a Padres game, the parking was extra horrible, so I'm quit familiar with it. Right now, I can't afford to take them to the vet, since I've had to sinking a lot of money into my minivan this year. I just had new shocks put on ($173), and it needs a front end alignment ($100+?). Plus, my income will be going down after the beginning of the year when event season is over. So I have to conserve my money, but if there's an emergency, I'll take them in. Luckily, they're both pretty healthy, though. But I'm still battling fleas...

Old 10-26-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I lived at 14th & Market for six years, three of them without a vehicle. On a day that there was a Padres game, the parking was extra horrible, so I'm quit familiar with it. Right now, I can't afford to take them to the vet, since I've had to sinking a lot of money into my minivan this year. I just had new shocks put on ($173), and it needs a front end alignment ($100+?). Plus, my income will be going down after the beginning of the year when event season is over. So I have to conserve my money, but if there's an emergency, I'll take them in. Luckily, they're both pretty healthy, though. But I'm still battling fleas...
Flea season was terrible this year. Flea comb was working OT this past summer. Still sort of there, but far less than a month ago.

Yeah, I was just talking about people reading this that might be coming from outside the city that think its a great idea without coming into the city much. I know when we lived downtown, we just know our friend that were coming from the burbs would complain about parking all the time so we tried to have them come by on non game days etc.

Cats are pretty resilient. They are built to last generally as long as they are somewhat indoors for sleeping and have a constant stream of food and water

Old 10-26-2012, 03:24 PM

Flea season was not only terrible, but Advantage doesn't work anymore. I started using Vectra, but it's not availabe OTC, and not all vets carry it, or sell separate tubes. Luckily, I found one that does, but I wouldn't take the cats there.

Both cats were already living in my complex when I moved in, they were apparently left behind by former tenants. I started putting out cat food, and when I worked for SDUSD with regular office hours, I used barbeque almost every night, and they would come by for treats. It took Snickers three months to move in, but it took Smokey four years. Smokey had surgery at Bodhi last year for a tumor, and they were still pretty good then.

Yeah, they're pretty happy. A constant stream of food, water, and pestering me for treats. Snickers sleeps on the bed, but Smokey sleeps in the kitchen. I guess she wants to make sure the food doesn't go away, since she's had to beg for food all these years.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:13 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
Sheesh, people.

I live seven blocks away and I walk with my cats in the carrier. Bagheera weighs 15 pounds, plus there is the weight of the carrier.

Wah. You have to walk a whopping three blocks from Park it on Market, or you have to circle the block to find a parking spot.

Cry me a river.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Sheesh, people.

I live seven blocks away and I walk with my cats in the carrier. Bagheera weighs 15 pounds, plus there is the weight of the carrier.

Wah. You have to walk a whopping three blocks from Park it on Market, or you have to circle the block to find a parking spot.

Cry me a river.
Right. How long have you lived in SoCal? Walking? Have you seen drivers here literally sit in a parking lot to be 3 spaces closer to destination when they can just park it and walk? Lol

My post was an FYI for anyone unfamiliar with the environs of a downtown setting. Reread the posts dude.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:48 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
My cats have never had fleas in their life (and my oldest is a Florida boy no less). They never went outside until we had a very safely enclosed patio downtown ( nearly 2 years) and then a high fenced yard here in OB (nearly 6 months). Then last week, one of them was all of a sudden infested. I checked the others and they 2 were afflicted. It's as if it happened overnight. We got the Vectra from the vet, but it wasn't cheap....$56 for 3 doses, so with 3 cats thats going to add up. I hate to use these chemicals, but the cats LOVE their fenced yard and patio. They have their little cat door so they go out and sit in the sun when ever they want. I don't think I could bear to make them indoor only cats again.

As far as paying for parking I'm with Moved. I've lived in urban areas for the last 15 years and I don't pay! I mostly stay put and walk, or if I go out its to a place I can scooter or park easily. And I dont hang out in suburbs either....there are urban hoods where you can park. I work out with pretty heavy weights but I don't feel like hauling my 3 bawling tubs of
lard any further than needed.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
My cats have never had fleas in their life (and my oldest is a Florida boy no less). They never went outside until we had a very safely enclosed patio downtown ( nearly 2 years) and then a high fenced yard here in OB (nearly 6 months). Then last week, one of them was all of a sudden infested. I checked the others and they 2 were afflicted. It's as if it happened overnight. We got the Vectra from the vet, but it wasn't cheap....$56 for 3 doses, so with 3 cats thats going to add up. I hate to use these chemicals, but the cats LOVE their fenced yard and patio. They have their little cat door so they go out and sit in the sun when ever they want. I don't think I could bear to make them indoor only cats again.

As far as paying for parking I'm with Moved. I've lived in urban areas for the last 15 years and I don't pay! I mostly stay put and walk, or if I go out its to a place I can scooter or park easily. And I dont hang out in suburbs either....there are urban hoods where you can park. I work out with pretty heavy weights but I don't feel like hauling my 3 bawling tubs of
lard any further than needed.
So true Clevelandgal. We had a tiny patio downtown and since moving we have the enclosed backyard, they don't want to leave! They love it out side. Glad to hear your little ones do too.
But yeah rolling around n the grass etc, this summer, they got fleas. Thankfully the are mostly OK now.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:12 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
Luckily our entire backyard is brick patio and cacti and succulents, so no grass. But all the strays and free range out door cats eye our home with envy (3 spoiled cats on the other side of the fence) So I'm sure they have some fleas that made their way into the compound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego