Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times

Advertisements

Just finished reading the book. It seems the Family of Four, mysteriously disappeared in Feb. 2010, from Fallbrook, never to be seen again. Pretty interesting! Anyone remember the incident or read the book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 06:46 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
There was just something on the news about it not too long ago, and also on CNN News.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:20 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Shelby,

Yeah, I've been following it on the news for a while now. I didn't read the book but it's a VERY interesting and puzzling story. As a parent, it's really sad to hear about this. I remember reading in the news that they had some grainy photo of some family crossing into Mexico and many thought it was them.

Which book did you read? I read there were several family members planning books.

Just a really sad story. And the weird thing is they checked and he never used any credit cards or ATM cards, etc. I read he had lots of cash left in the bank untouched.

How was the book? Worth a read? Or does it come across as a family member trying to cash in? As I recall the guy that was planning to write a book wasn't even related to anyone in the family and lived across the country and just got kind of obsessed about the story so decided to write the book?

Old 02-23-2013, 07:50 PM

It is called" No Good-Byes" by Rick Baker. He was a Fallbrook resident at one time. The book is an easy,couple hr read. It actually raises more questions than answers...but these people were surrounded by scum bags....and She was not the soccer Mom, one might think. It could have been any number of people!
Rick Baker also has a blog that is updated almost everyday on the subject. He has recently offered his own $25,000 reward and gotten more law enforcement involved.
FYI...he is pretty sure the image captured at the border is NOT them. For one, an enlarged pic shows, there was actually more than 4 people crossing together and the boots they say the woman was wearing in the pic,were found left behind in her closet.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:56 PM

Here's the blog:
NO GOODBYES: The Mysterious Disappearance of the McStay Family

Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 PM

Thanks Shelby. I'll check it out after I catch up on some of these books I've purchased but haven't read yet. This one doesn't sound like it will be high on the priority list but interesting nonetheless.

Yes, I did hear they had some sketchy people in their lives and read about some "issues" with the mother. Still very strange for a family of 4 to just disappear like they did.

I'll check out the blog. Thanks for posting.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:14 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
I was interested in this case also. Lucy Liu (I think that's who is was) did a good TV documentary on this case awhile back, went to Mexico where the father and kids were reportedly spotted from time to time.

Personally, I think one of the parents was involved in something shady, involving a considerable amount of money. I think they were threatened and left the house very quickly...nobody would really leave their house in the way they did without it being some kind of imminent threat. Sadly, I think one day they will find their bodies out in the desert somewhere. That's just my theory though, for what it's worth.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I was interested in this case also. Lucy Liu (I think that's who is was) did a good TV documentary on this case awhile back, went to Mexico where the father and kids were reportedly spotted from time to time.

Personally, I think one of the parents was involved in something shady, involving a considerable amount of money. I think they were threatened and left the house very quickly...nobody would really leave their house in the way they did without it being some kind of imminent threat. Sadly, I think one day they will find their bodies out in the desert somewhere. That's just my theory though, for what it's worth.
Yes, I don't think anyone expects to find them alive. In this day of the internet ...I doubt they could still be out there without someone spotting them. It might be easy to go unnoticed when it's just a couple but when you have younger kids it's more difficult.

Sadly, I assume they are dead.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:21 PM

The Mom was involved with pyramid scams and Mtg. scams...she had at least 8 alias' ....it's uncertain if the husband ever knew to what extent. The guy she worked with in these scams had been arrested just 3 or 4 days prior to them disappearing. But his step brother extorted all kinds of $ out of the accts. too.! Like I said, they were surrounded by some really unscrupulous people!
Some lady (waitress) in Co. swears she saw the 4 of them just a few months ago....But, like you guys, I think they are all buried in a shallow grave somewhere. Those poor kids.....

Old 02-27-2013, 03:00 PM

As of yesterday, Rick Baker is offering a $50,000 reward, good for 8 days only, no questions asked, for information on Summer McStay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego