Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,959 times

Advertisements

HI All,

We are considering moving to San Marcos, CA. Anyhow, I have been searching online, and have not found very many tennis clubs in San Marcos, just one outdoor public facility. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places. But my question is: Is there a lot of tennis in the San Marcos area? That is one of the main reasons for moving from the East Coast, so we can play outdoors year around, instead of playing indoors 9 months out of the year, along with the cost of indoor court time. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 12:09 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,682 times
Did you check out sites like Places to play tennis in the United States | Tennis Maps ?

Just looking on that map I see a few public courts. Palomar College, Cerro de Las Posas Park, San Marcos High School, and a few others.

I don't know specifically about San Marcos but I know many people that play tennis at La Costa in Carlsbad. Are you talking about public facilities only? Are you open to joining a private club?

Probably the best thing for someone new to the area is join one of the many MeetUp groups. I believe North County has their own meet up group. http://tennis.meetup.com/cities/us/ca/san_diego/

North County Meet up: http://www.meetup.com/North-San-Dieg...-Meetup-Group/ I'm sure they can lead you in the right direction and will know everything you want to know about the area.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 06-24-2013 at 12:19 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,959 times
Hi Early,

I want to get plugged into the local tennis scene, if there is one, and play regularly. Here in New England, I play regularly on Wed Nights and Sat Mornings. I would love to meet players and play regularly with people near my skill level (4.0). I will have to check out meetup. I guess when I move, I can call up the USTA and ask to get in touch with local tennis league coordinators. Thats what I did when I moved to New England.

I just hope that there is a tennis scene in San Marcos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Did you check out sites like Places to play tennis in the United States | Tennis Maps ?

Just looking on that map I see a few public courts. Palomar College, Cerro de Las Posas Park, San Marcos High School, and a few others.

I don't know specifically about San Marcos but I know many people that play tennis at La Costa in Carlsbad. Are you talking about public facilities only? Are you open to joining a private club?

Probably the best thing for someone new to the area is join one of the many MeetUp groups. I believe North County has their own meet up group. Tennis Meetups near San Diego, California - Tennis Meetups - San Diego

North County Meet up: North San Diego Tennis Meetup Group (San Diego, CA) - Meetup I'm sure they can lead you in the right direction and will know everything you want to know about the area.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:44 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Hi Early,

I want to get plugged into the local tennis scene, if there is one, and play regularly. Here in New England, I play regularly on Wed Nights and Sat Mornings. I would love to meet players and play regularly with people near my skill level (4.0). I will have to check out meetup. I guess when I move, I can call up the USTA and ask to get in touch with local tennis league coordinators. Thats what I did when I moved to New England.

I just hope that there is a tennis scene in San Marcos.

Yeah the Meetup sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't get too focused on the "San Marcos" part. I'd just focus on North County. You will find here everyone drives all over the place so I would keep your options open and just think about the entire N. Country area.

Lots and lots of people play tennis here in the area so I'm sure you shouldn't have a difficult time.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:46 PM

54 posts, read 99,756 times
Encinitas has two well regarded private tennis clubs. Bobby Riggs Tennis Club and San Dieguito Tennis Club. Both have active members. Not a long drive from San Marcos (depending on which part of San Marcos you are in).

Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 PM

788 posts, read 1,877,818 times
SM definitely isn't a tennis oriented city- more hiking, biking, soccer, and baseball....

In addition to what others have mentioned, there are also a number of tennis courts at Kit Carson Park in Escondido. It gets hot in the summer, but the rest of the year is nice... (be advised that these are just public courts and far from the "tennis scene")

Btw, San Marcos High doesn't have tennis courts as the school is currently being reconstructed.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 AM

152 posts, read 281,055 times
blakesq, Why limit yourself to San Marcos? If you're moving all the way to SD to play tennis, better live close to where the serious tennis players are. I haven't played for a long time, so I may be out of touch, but I would start by checking out San Diego Tennis and Racquet Club SDTRC - Website, and Morely Field.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 PM

123 posts, read 193,360 times
Hi Blake,

It is a bit trickier to hunt down the tennis groups around the North San Diego County area.....but they are there! I'm a 3.5 player and my husband a 4.0.......check out Head2Head tennis - (on the web) for free sign up & league play...good way to make connections and see the descriptions of others and their type of play/level. A lot of pick up matches happen at Pointsettia Park in Carlsbad, a very nice outdoor public facility, ten courts, lighted and no cost. Another place is Rancho Bernardo Community Tennis club (South end of Escondido just of the 15)....very low cost and nice facilities...lots of men's leagues play there in the evenings and Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego