Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times

Advertisements

Good luck in your hunt. Golden Hill is favorite neighborhood for me too.It's got a great vibe and it close to downtown. When we were buying last year, the inventory was horribly low in GH. We couldn't even view a place before it was under contract. After 2 failed offers -one in Mission Hills and the other University Heights (you might love UH too,there is a little more inventory), we managed to snag a place in Ocean Beach in good condition-no repairs needed, just a couple cosmetic things we're in order. Looking back, I'm not sure how we pulled it off, but it proves it can happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 01:21 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineTea View Post
I just posted looking for advice on buying our first home (we are 1 year new to SD) and a couple kind members suggested South Park/Burlingame/Golden Hill. Had not known of them, and we drove there this weekend and I was in love! We have spent many years living in Berkeley and a couple just outside Portland so this felt like the perfect neighborhood fit for us. The architecture, eclectic style/culture, walk-ability...
Isn't it great discovering new places in your own back yard? Your comparisons of South Park and Burlingame to Berkeley and Portland are spot on. Everytime I got to South Park, I always feel as if I've left SD. You would love the South Park Walkabout happening later this month

South Park Walkabout Info & Media Stories - Walkabouts

South Park Wild West Walkabout - YouTube

Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Definitely check out the north end of Park Blvd and along Adams Ave, which are University Heights, Normal Heights and Kensington.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:36 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Not disagreeing with any of the typically knowledgeable responses from kettlepot, shmoov or Sassberto but I will say that the perceived sketchiness of Sherman Heights and neighboring Grant Hill are not borne out at all by actual crime rate statistics.

Less convenient, but just across 15, Fairmont Park, Hollywood/Azalea Park is a nice little area that you should also look at. We have good friends who also having been priced out of South Park after renting here chose that area and really like it there. I agree that La Mesa is also an area that will give you that nice village vibe that you are looking for.
TD - this is interesting information about the actual safety of SH versus perceived safety. If Sherman Heights really isn't as dangerous as its reputation generated by its proximity to Barrio Logan and Logan Heights gives it, it might make for an interesting urban pioneer situation. Would it work out in the end? As they are saying, it would be a crap shoot. Depends on the risk you are willing to take.

Frankly, I think I would be more willing to take the risk with a Sherman Heights location because of the appeal of its housing stock, than I would in Hollywood/Azalea and Fairmount Parks. If you are going to take a risk, do it with architecture you love rather than the plainer, mid-century bungalows of the above sections of City Heights.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:50 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
I see a total regeneration of the Sherman heights/Barrio Logan Area in the next 10 years
They've already started in certain parts of Sherman Heights Rehabbing older homes Ect..
It could happen sooner if and when they build the new Charger Stadium down there!

Old 07-18-2013, 04:10 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I see a total regeneration of the Sherman heights/Barrio Logan Area in the next 10 years
They've already started in certain parts of Sherman Heights Rehabbing older homes Ect..
It could happen sooner if and when they build the new Charger Stadium down there!
Yeah, I have mentioned that in other posts and even years ago when we were looking for a house, this stadium would accelerate things a bit.

But so far its been 3 years since we were housing shopping and no stadium and still not a lot for sale in that area
Like right now for example, there are only 28 houses for sale in ALL of 92102. That covers South Park to Webster. Its a massive area.

I totally agree that Sherman has some incredible houses. The few we looked at buying were in total disrepair sadly and WAY too expensive considering their condition (Munsters type Victorians.)
The only parts of that area I have seen legitimate house rehabs are on 25th. Some here and there between 21st and 25th.

But as my friend/agent said, every decade folks are looking in that area wondering 'when' it will happen. I think it will, but your guess is as good as mine.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:18 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Yeah, I have mentioned that in other posts and even years ago when we were looking for a house, this stadium would accelerate things a bit.

But so far its been 3 years since we were housing shopping and no stadium and still not a lot for sale in that area
Like right now for example, there are only 28 houses for sale in ALL of 92102. That covers South Park to Webster. Its a massive area.

I totally agree that Sherman has some incredible houses. The few we looked at buying were in total disrepair sadly and WAY too expensive considering their condition (Munsters type Victorians.)
The only parts of that area I have seen legitimate house rehabs are on 25th. Some here and there between 21st and 25th.

But as my friend/agent said, every decade folks are looking in that area wondering 'when' it will happen. I think it will, but your guess is as good as mine.
I learned about that area from you
I see that stadium being at lease started if not built in next 10 years.There's a lot of revenue for the city with a new stadium.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:46 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Definitely check out the north end of Park Blvd and along Adams Ave, which are University Heights, Normal Heights and Kensington.
I was going to say, Shmoov is "Mr. Lemon Grove" and I'd call sdurbanite "Mr. Kensington". You guys do know your respective areas very well.

I love how everyone shares good information about all their neighborhoods on this board. It's great!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:44 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I was going to say, Shmoov is "Mr. Lemon Grove" and I'd call sdurbanite "Mr. Kensington". You guys do know your respective areas very well.

I love how everyone shares good information about all their neighborhoods on this board. It's great!
What am I -chopped liver as the unofficial Mr. South Park of City-Data? Sheesh

Old 07-20-2013, 12:07 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
What am I -chopped liver as the unofficial Mr. South Park of City-Data? Sheesh
And T. Damon is "Mr. South Park".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego