Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:07 AM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
First of all, that was kinda rude.

Secondly, I totally get what he means by ghetto by west coast standards... It's been discussed plenty of times here how the neighborhoods we consider "bad" or "ghetto" are nothing like the ones people in Eastern cities would consider as such. As in, someone from Chicago would probably laugh if you held Encanto up as a ghetto 'hood.
What about by Baltimore standards, as this is where the OP Is moving from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 12:05 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,062 times
Quote:

Secondly, I totally get what he means by ghetto by west coast standards... It's been discussed plenty of times here how the neighborhoods we consider "bad" or "ghetto" are nothing like the ones people in Eastern cities would consider as such. As in, someone from Chicago would probably laugh if you held Encanto up as a ghetto 'hood.
Yeah but you could also say places like Chicago have nothing on third world countries and their barrios.
Who cares about what place has the claim of "worst." Bad is bad. If somebody wants to leave a bad neighborhood and get out of that town because of it, makes no sense to wind up living in some other cities bad neighborhood. It might not be as bad, but at the end of the day, it's not exactly improving your life.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:53 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
Yeah but you could also say places like Chicago have nothing on third world countries and their barrios.
Who cares about what place has the claim of "worst." Bad is bad. If somebody wants to leave a bad neighborhood and get out of that town because of it, makes no sense to wind up living in some other cities bad neighborhood. It might not be as bad, but at the end of the day, it's not exactly improving your life.
Which is why its important to see these areas yourself. Outside of hard numbers such as crime stats, perceived 'safety' or levels of 'bad' are totally subjective.

You are form Jersey Pedro. Its like justifying a 'move up' from Camden to Ewing. Huge difference between our 'bad' Encanto and any other city as already mentioned many many times before. Miles apart.

Sorry, we just dont have that level of socio-economic or population density dynamics here in San Diego...but you know that already. So its a totally valid argument to make comparing cities such as the OP in Baltimore. Its not ideal San Diego in regards to the best the area has to offer, so no one is discounting that.
I would never disagree with a local San Diegan about what a ghetto neighborhood is here because its all relative to what they know. At times, even for more educated locals, is somewhat provincial and shire-like because we dont have the density to compare with a neighboring metro nearby.
LA is too far to truly make that comparisons and OC is just an extension of the lifestyle we have here somewhat.

OP just needs to make a list, take note of the stereotypes and areas listed and make a judgment for themselves. Just one note to add. The busier corridors of some of the neighborhoods may not reflect the actual residential parts of the area.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:51 PM

199 posts, read 336,422 times
I grew up in Paradise Hills up until senior year high school so I would think Encanto is not much different since it's all southeast San Diego anyways. I think I had a decent quality of life in the southeast, and never really felt like I lived a "ghetto" life over there. I think anyone else who grew up in the southeast would more or less say the same. An area full of working-class minorities does not automatically mean the place is straight up "ghetto."

What irks me are the transplants and northern natives who stay away from "south of the 8" due to misconceptions. Oh well, their loss.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:31 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
What about by Baltimore standards, as this is where the OP Is moving from?
Haven't you seen The Wire?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
You misunderstand me. I wasn't making any kind of endorsement, nor saying it was great and everyone should live there because it's not as bad as the Chicago slums. I was just pointing out that it's different, and somebody from a place with a different definition of "ghetto" (like Baltimore) should take the term with a grain of salt and realize that not everybody means the same thing when they use it.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:04 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
I never mentioned any names,so I was asking why I was being called out.
That was between me and Her/him whoever.

Quote:
That's not what they met by their response,And you know it!
We all ready know that our ghettos here in san diego are not Like Baltimore's
All of Baltimore is not like the wire either Baltimore has some of the most beautiful suburbs in the country.
O.P. ask for advice on the area of Encanto and I gave it to him.
If you have a problem with me are my responses you are anyone else can always PM me

Last edited by hitman619; 02-21-2014 at 05:13 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 06:11 PM

57 posts, read 95,801 times
An ice cream truck driver was robbed at gunpoint last night in Encanto by three African-American boys aged 10-12. Think twice before considering moving or buying a house there.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:50 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post

All of Baltimore is not like the wire either Baltimore has some of the most beautiful suburbs in the country.
If you have a problem with me are my responses you are anyone else can always PM me
Um yeah that is what I meant actually. and I'm a him

Old 02-22-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post

The comment about The Wire was a joke, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego