Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 05:19 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Simple.

People dont live to work here as a norm, so its not asked as some ice breaker in social settings.

DC and the east coast, its the opposite. You live to work and conform. Then talk about how epic your vacation was to San Diego

I dont think there is a 'place' that lawyers live. But based on higher networth individuals, the areas listed already seem to make the most sense.
Ha Ha Ice breaker in SD. I heard the surf is huge this week? How about those fires? What beautiful weather AGAIN I heard the Tuna are at 100 miles! Padres are on a streak.....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 05:43 PM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
No it's not nosey...I am not shy of what I do for a living nor am I comparing my anatomy size with others...called basic communication. Not a real deep relationship with someone if you don't know the basics about them. Asking someone how much they make or is worth is nosey ( which I have been asked by Diegans), but what you do for a living is not--big difference.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-28-2014 at 05:53 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 09:06 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Before this thread deteriorates into "No it's not" "Yes it is", may I point out that "nosey" is in the ear of the beholder ... or something like that.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:17 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Fair enough though I suppose I could add this to the "what don't you like about San Diego" thread referencing what I view (or hear) as shallow, superficial relationships.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:39 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
I don't know!
I said something slightly off topic the other day, but still related and had the mods delete my post
It all depends I guess.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Before this thread deteriorates into "No it's not" "Yes it is", may I point out that "nosey" is in the ear of the beholder ... or something like that.
I'm tellin Mom

I can completely understand why someone who has a "touchy" job wouldn't want people to know. I'm still trying to figure out what my Nephew does. I had another Nephew that went Special Ops, FBI to Secret Service and was open about it the whole time.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:09 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
No it's not nosey...I am not shy of what I do for a living nor am I comparing my anatomy size with others...called basic communication. Not a real deep relationship with someone if you don't know the basics about them. Asking someone how much they make or is worth is nosey ( which I have been asked by Diegans), but what you do for a living is not--big difference.

It's pretty much an "ice breaker" no matter where you go in many places. A lot of people from around the world identify themselves for what they do for a living. So and So is a lawyer first or doctor or engineer or baseball player or whatever. Fair or not, it's how people identify themselves and how they relate to others. "oh my buddy or sister in-law is a dentist or carpenter or whatever."

Hell even in places like NYC or Los Angeles or Silicon Valley you get the "I'm a writer/actor/startup founder" even if they are doing that part time while working as a waitress or bartender. But it's a conversation starter and if somebody is passionate about what they do or what they want to do, you could go on for years having conversations about it.

SD seems to have a lot of people who are full of themselves and find this line of communication offensive for some reason. I mean back in college the norm was "what are you majoring in" and as you started your career it's more "where did you go to college and what do you do for a living?" And as time goes on you ask how's the job, career, family, kids, etc.

I don't know why there is such a difference, I've never met so many people in my life as I do in SD who "have a home based business" but can't explain it because it's the same as saying "I own an import-export business" without any substance behind it.

There are exceptions. If you live/work around UCSD or Sorrento Valley you'll probably run into most people who are Engineers or scientists. Many other places it's more along the lines of "i moved to San Diego for the weather." I guess if you really moved to SD for the weather and not much else and don't really have any passion about your job or career, you probably won't want to talk about it.

I mean I'm not a scientist, but I've had plenty of long deep conversations with a few in and around the UCSD area. But beyond that, SD isn't exactly a hot bed for people moving here because of their careers. Places like Silicon Valley, LA, NYC, etc are filled with people who do nothing else but live and breathe their careers or possible careers. SD doesn't really have that.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
It's pretty much an "ice breaker" no matter where you go in many places. A lot of people from around the world identify themselves for what they do for a living. So and So is a lawyer first or doctor or engineer or baseball player or whatever. Fair or not, it's how people identify themselves and how they relate to others. "oh my buddy or sister in-law is a dentist or carpenter or whatever."

Hell even in places like NYC or Los Angeles or Silicon Valley you get the "I'm a writer/actor/startup founder" even if they are doing that part time while working as a waitress or bartender. But it's a conversation starter and if somebody is passionate about what they do or what they want to do, you could go on for years having conversations about it.

SD seems to have a lot of people who are full of themselves and find this line of communication offensive for some reason. I mean back in college the norm was "what are you majoring in" and as you started your career it's more "where did you go to college and what do you do for a living?" And as time goes on you ask how's the job, career, family, kids, etc.

I don't know why there is such a difference, I've never met so many people in my life as I do in SD who "have a home based business" but can't explain it because it's the same as saying "I own an import-export business" without any substance behind it.

There are exceptions. If you live/work around UCSD or Sorrento Valley you'll probably run into most people who are Engineers or scientists. Many other places it's more along the lines of "i moved to San Diego for the weather." I guess if you really moved to SD for the weather and not much else and don't really have any passion about your job or career, you probably won't want to talk about it.

I mean I'm not a scientist, but I've had plenty of long deep conversations with a few in and around the UCSD area. But beyond that, SD isn't exactly a hot bed for people moving here because of their careers. Places like Silicon Valley, LA, NYC, etc are filled with people who do nothing else but live and breathe their careers or possible careers. SD doesn't really have that.
With so many unemployed or on public assistance what would the proper response be?

Old 05-29-2014, 12:09 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
With so many unemployed or on public assistance what would the proper response be?
I understand this for some people from here, lives here, homes here, etc. My response to somebody who has no real ties here and seemed to move to SD just for the weather and can't find a job would be; move and find a job in a place with more options and not as expensive.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:24 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
I would agree, the topic always come up. I have no problem with this. But I certainly didn't move into a neighborhood because my neighbor is a lawyer or a Dr. or a garbage man. The woman who I mentioned above, walked onto my house and said: your home is gorgeous....what do you do to be able to afford it? Since I had been forewarned of her very" nosey" questions , I came back with a very quick " pharmaceutical sales".....LOL...which satisfied her, at least until she got home and called another neighbor to confirm . I do not need a deep, loving friendship with my neighbors....a friendly chat once in awhile, a wave as you go buy,a few parties ,an occasional drink, suits us just fine. And I'm there in a sec should you need any type of help. Even if you are the garbage man JK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego