Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:59 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,912,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
off topic, but does anyone know if there are as many hurdles to jump in regards to a garage conversion? I know some people in my neighborhood have converted their 2 bedroom place into a 3 bedroom place with a garage conversion and I was just wondering if its generally more straightforward in terms of permits and codes?
Obviously the parking space(s) (not necessarily a garage, which is not required by the city of SD- I am only familiar with SD and county codes) will need to be replaced somewhere on the lot in a conforming fashion (max hardscape may come into play here). All new habitable space will need to conform to all new, current codes.

A garage cannot directly access a bedroom, so in terms of circulation that must be taken into account. Any wall that is 5' or closer to a property line needs to be a 1-hour rated firewall (actually not that a big of a deal, just extra plywood and Type "X" gyp. bd. and fire rated cladding). You would only be able to attach a detached garage if no part of it was within a setback (very common and allowed). You would need to prove that the existing heating system has enough capacity to just extend ductwork to that new volume and if there is more than 40' of new ductwork or a new furnace required as part of your Title 24 analysis you would need MERS certified report. You would also likely have to pay school fees based on adding a bedroom. If the conversion included a new bathroom as well it is possible that the existing water line size would be deemed insufficient and would need to be up sized (not an inexpensive proposition)

Off the top of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 02:25 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Obviously the parking space(s) (not necessarily a garage, which is not required by the city of SD- I am only familiar with SD and county codes) will need to be replaced somewhere on the lot in a conforming fashion (max hardscape may come into play here). All new habitable space will need to conform to all new, current codes.

A garage cannot directly access a bedroom, so in terms of circulation that must be taken into account. Any wall that is 5' or closer to a property line needs to be a 1-hour rated firewall (actually not that a big of a deal, just extra plywood and Type "X" gyp. bd. and fire rated cladding). You would only be able to attach a detached garage if no part of it was within a setback (very common and allowed). You would need to prove that the existing heating system has enough capacity to just extend ductwork to that new volume and if there is more than 40' of new ductwork or a new furnace required as part of your Title 24 analysis you would need MERS certified report. You would also likely have to pay school fees based on adding a bedroom. If the conversion included a new bathroom as well it is possible that the existing water line size would be deemed insufficient and would need to be up sized (not an inexpensive proposition)

Off the top of my head.
Yep, we were told that too, that we had to build another garage. Or,at least a covered area. On top of that you can't build too close to your own property line. You'll go dizzy trying to understand that mess. We scrapped having a second story put on because to be code we'd have to raze the existing garage, part of the house and start over from scratch.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:28 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,581,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yep, we were told that too, that we had to build another garage. Or,at least a covered area. On top of that you can't build too close to your own property line. You'll go dizzy trying to understand that mess. We scrapped having a second story put on because to be code we'd have to raze the existing garage, part of the house and start over from scratch.
That's interesting. My neighbors who converted their garage actually live in a twin home (which you may or may not be familiar with) so I see the following problems 1) the garage would have been too close to the property line and 2) they never built another garage or covered area.

The sq footage of the conversion is included in their housing specs on redfin and zillow so I'm assuming it was done according to code and with permits...maybe it varies by city?

Old 07-02-2015, 07:57 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
That's interesting. My neighbors who converted their garage actually live in a twin home (which you may or may not be familiar with) so I see the following problems 1) the garage would have been too close to the property line and 2) they never built another garage or covered area.

The sq footage of the conversion is included in their housing specs on redfin and zillow so I'm assuming it was done according to code and with permits...maybe it varies by city?
They go by code at the time of build I believe. It does vary by City for sure. This would be in squaremont.

My friend had to build a covered parking structure in the front of his place to be able to convert his garage. I thought it was stupid since there was parking spots for about 6 cars. But then who knows I've gotten conflicting information talking to different city workers. I really don't know the codes that well.

He also did an illegal extension many years ago and the City added the square footage after 10 years so the City could get the property taxes. His words. It was also around 2002 and the City couldn't even keep up with the building going on so it would probably be a lot tougher now.

But then, I kinda snuck one by with the same tactic "wink". It was that way when we bought it Whatta ya mean my square footage doubled? Must have been a typo.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:21 AM

87 posts, read 132,058 times
So for the companion flats, how does the parking space work?

If you're buying a 3 bedroom 2 bath house with a 2 car garage and you want to build a companion flat, does this mean I need to plan for a 3 car garage now?

Old 07-03-2015, 10:08 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,571,556 times
When I lived on Dictionary Hill, I swear half of the garages were turned into bedrooms. I doubt any of them were legal.

Unincorporated life.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:33 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,912,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Intrepid View Post
So for the companion flats, how does the parking space work?

If you're buying a 3 bedroom 2 bath house with a 2 car garage and you want to build a companion flat, does this mean I need to plan for a 3 car garage now?
You don't need a garage but you do need a dedicated parking space that conforms to code (non-tandem, doesn't block or utilize the existing two spaces provided for by the garage).

Old 07-03-2015, 01:09 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,156,725 times
I have done additions in San Diego proper about 14 years ago. It is a pain. A lot depends on your plot of land, whether it is an addition or a separate structure like a casita. It is not possible to tell you the cost without more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego