Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 05:56 PM

60 posts, read 80,865 times

Advertisements

We are making the move to the Carlsbad, Encinitas, Oceanside area in the next 10 months. This move has been in the planning stages for over 2 years and it can't come soon enough. A little bit about our situation. I currently own 3 businesses in Oklahoma City that I will retain. My girlfriend is finishing her RN nursing school in the next 6 months. We are both 32 years old and have a 5 year old son that will be in 1st grade next year.

Here is my concern. I went to the area in July and was impressed with Carlsbad and Encinitas. I would have preferred to live there, but Oceanside real estate is much more affordable. In Oceanside we can get a 2,000 newer sq foot house for $400k. The same style home a few miles over starts at almost double that. I am thinking I would like to save $400k on housing to be a few miles away and we are still near the coast.

Our current home in OKC would go for well over a million dollars in this area, but only cost us $300k in OKC. That has been the issue with the move. We would like to get a nice house, but don't want to get a million dollar mortgage to do so. We are open to renovating a house.

My other big concern is the crime and school district for my 5 year old. Are there good enough areas in Oceanside to justify paying less? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 07:25 PM

147 posts, read 157,623 times
Congrats on the impending move.

You may have more options in other central SD locations. What's your budget range?

If you want to be near the coast, I would say Oceanside is perhaps the only location with houses in the 400k range. But if beach isn't the only option, there are probably better areas to choose from. 400 doesn't get you too much in San Diego in the way of square footage or detached. If you want best schooling, Poway district would be your best bet, and Torry Pines/La Jolla. Poway has cheaper homes in the 600-800 range, I think, though I'd have to check that with my gf to be sure of that (she's an agent).

Be aware that Oceanside is far from San Diego. It's the most northern part of the county. If you want to enjoy places like La Jolla, Hillcrest, Little Italy, Zoo, Del Mar fair, etc, those are 20-40 minute drives.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:28 PM

I guess I should have given you my actual thought on the subject. I wouldn't pay less to live in Oceanside versus Encinitas. I'd definitely invest in Encinitas. Home value is rock solid in there. Better investment over the long haul.

Also, night and day difference in schooling.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:42 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
You are still almost a year out on your move...a lot can change in the time period....bump this thread when you are a month out and start consolidating your belongings...

Encinitas is hands down the way to go for what you are looking for but it costs to live here....otherwise just move further inland in north county or live in Oceanside..

CA real estate is all about making sacrifices unless you have millions to spend on housing....some people can't grasp this concept and have to learn the hard way. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkbruin View Post
Congrats on the impending move.

You may have more options in other central SD locations. What's your budget range?

If you want to be near the coast, I would say Oceanside is perhaps the only location with houses in the 400k range. But if beach isn't the only option, there are probably better areas to choose from. 400 doesn't get you too much in San Diego in the way of square footage or detached. If you want best schooling, Poway district would be your best bet, and Torry Pines/La Jolla. Poway has cheaper homes in the 600-800 range, I think, though I'd have to check that with my gf to be sure of that (she's an agent).

Be aware that Oceanside is far from San Diego. It's the most northern part of the county. If you want to enjoy places like La Jolla, Hillcrest, Little Italy, Zoo, Del Mar fair, etc, those are 20-40 minute drives.
The beach isn't our only focus, but it is a big part of it. I looked in San Marcos and that just felt too far away from the ocean. You can certainly get more home for your money, but it had more of a desert feel if that makes sense. We want to be close to the coast. The weather and beach are a large part of the appeal.

I have been to San Diego a ton. I just like the Carlsbad/Encinitas area the best. It is laid back and doesn't have as bad of a marine layer as other places in San Diego from my experience.

As far as a budget goes, I don't know yet. I would bet we could get approved for a multi-million dollar mortgage, but I would never go that far. I think my top end would be $600k. I just can't fathom spending more than that on a home.

Another question.. is Oceanside primarily cheaper because it is more blue collar/military? Why would you steer clear of it?

Old 09-20-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
You are still almost a year out on your move...a lot can change in the time period....bump this thread when you are a month out and start consolidating your belongings...

Encinitas is hands down the way to go for what you are looking for but it costs to live here....otherwise just move further inland in north county or live in Oceanside..

CA real estate is all about making sacrifices unless you have millions to spend on housing....some people can't grasp this concept and have to learn the hard way. Good luck.
This is a done deal; I already have my house on the market. I have the millions to spend, but I don't want to. That's how I got my money... I am inherently cheap.

I have watched a ton of these flipping San Diego shows. They go in and buy dumps for $300k and then put $75k into them and they sell the house and still make $100k+ on many of the houses. I know this stuff can be done, but I don't know if I want to move to a new city and tackle that type of a project. If I did that, I would need to buy in the next few months and start the work, so it is ready when we get there.

I have always believed there are loopholes to the status quo. That's what I am trying to discern here. I drove thru Oceanside and you could immediately tell it wasn't as nice as Carlsbad or Encinitas. I certainly don't want to put our son in some awful school or a horrible neighborhood. On the other hand, I don't want to buy a million dollar house, either. I'm trying to find the right compromise.

Do you live in Cardiff? When I drove thru there it seemed like in blended in with Encinitas and felt like the same community. What's the difference between the 2? Thanks for the input.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoon85 View Post
This is a done deal; I already have my house on the market. I have the millions to spend, but I don't want to. That's how I got my money... I am inherently cheap.

I have watched a ton of these flipping San Diego shows. They go in and buy dumps for $300k and then put $75k into them and they sell the house and still make $100k+ on many of the houses. I know this stuff can be done, but I don't know if I want to move to a new city and tackle that type of a project. If I did that, I would need to buy in the next few months and start the work, so it is ready when we get there.

I have always believed there are loopholes to the status quo. That's what I am trying to discern here. I drove thru Oceanside and you could immediately tell it wasn't as nice as Carlsbad or Encinitas. I certainly don't want to put our son in some awful school or a horrible neighborhood. On the other hand, I don't want to buy a million dollar house, either. I'm trying to find the right compromise.

Do you live in Cardiff? When I drove thru there it seemed like in blended in with Encinitas and felt like the same community. What's the difference between the 2? Thanks for the input.
No offense, but we see these types of threads all the time. It's great you have your house on the market, but I'd hardly consider that an indicator that your move is a done deal...a lot can change in a year..

Also, you have "millions" to spend but you won't spend 700-800k on a SFH in Encinitas? Doesn't pass the smell test or there is some exaggerating going on.

Yes I live in Cardiff. Cardiff as a whole doesn't extend nearly as far east as the rest of Encinitas. It has a similar vibe to old Encinitas along the 101 and is just feels like its own small, intimate beach community where surfing is religion. Very laid back and easy going place. Places west of the 5 go for 1M+ these days

Old 09-20-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
No offense, but we see these types of threads all the time. It's great you have your house on the market, but I'd hardly consider that an indicator that your move is a done deal...a lot can change in a year..

Also, you have "millions" to spend but you won't spend 700-800k on a SFH in Encinitas? Doesn't pass the smell test or there is some exaggerating going on.

Yes I live in Cardiff. Cardiff as a whole doesn't extend nearly as far east as the rest of Encinitas. It has a similar vibe to old Encinitas along the 101 and is just feels like its own small, intimate beach community where surfing is religion. Very laid back and easy going place. Places west of the 5 go for 1M+ these days
I'm sure you do... it's a place that posters use to relocate and ask questions about cities. Have you ever looked into how many people move? You might be surprised, they may not all check in with you when they do. I am more of a doer than a talker. I just want to make sure we make the right move the first time. I want to get my son in a good school and give him some stability.

I didn't mean to sound braggadocios, but they asked me my budget. I am basically retiring myself and living off the residual income my businesses will generate. However, my girlfriend will work as an RN. I am sure I will find some business to create or get into. I started being an entrepreneur at the age of 25 and became a millionaire by the time I was 30.

With that said, the multi-millions I could spend would be on a home loan and I am not willing to do that. I got where I am because I think different about money than most people. I am a pretty frugal guy. Money was never about buying things for me. I was after buying experiences.. hence the reason for moving to San Diego. Plus, we also have family in Rancho Santa Fe.

I don't really understand your hostility. The whole create a thread when I am packing my belongings is a little off-putting. Sorry if I offended you, it wasn't my intention.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:58 PM

You misunderstood my hostility for skepticism which I don't think is unwarranted given the frequency of threads such as these....sorry that hurt your feelings. I'm also willing to bet most people who create these posts don't end up moving here. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:18 PM

Tycoon, if you like city-life or culture, then EVERYTHING around central part of SD, north park, little italy, utc, etc is close to the water. If you like coastal town, sleepier, then yes, those north county towns are the way to go.

I'm 31 and used to bigger cities, so my area is much more south. But I don't have a child, so that does play a part as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego