Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 04:23 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,308,612 times

Advertisements

I know that Oceanside borders Camp Pendleton beside it therefore it should have more conservatives or does it. Anyways it appears conservatives or libertarian minded citizens have more control on policy making in Huntington Beach than in Oceanside I wonder why? Huntington Beach has a "tea party" group to advocate against city policies pushed by busybodies brainwashing the we know whats best for you city council members who insist on voting policies to control the masses against their will "for their own good." Huntington Beach worked to get council members that voted against the people's will i.e regarding charging for supermarket bags or fireworks bans out of office. This is a first in California.
Though while it appears Oceanside original was pretty libertarian friendly in the past years, I notice today the city council seems increasingly the circus for liberal busybody agenda. The sad thing is that the conservative/libertarian type seems to loathe take part or attend meetings regarding new policies they tend to hate. Now they act as they have no chance to fight city hall. It seems turning into just another California city that is being taken over by neo progressivism with the normal people admitting defeat. Many Oceanside residents do not like being told they cannot use a certain bag at checkout and worse yet must pay for a bag they can use. In fact 90% would vote for plastic at the checkout stand when its available as with shoppers anywhere else. Though they now loathe to show up at city hall workshops to speak against it.
I just hope they don't ban beachside fire rings in the near future. North County is among the last places to not have a wood burning restriction I hope it would stay that way.

I wonder in this case Huntington Beach remains the choice beachtown for those(not necessary libertarians/conservatives) who want to live along the California coastline while not being driven insane by neo progressive policies to require this and ban that plaging most coastal cities in the state? I don't necessary defend conservatives in national or state policy making though I notice conservative city councils are usually far less trigger happy in voting for busybody "we know whats best for you" agendas and usually focus on performing a good service than being a supreme ruler. I guess Carlsbad is more like Huntington Beach in terms being a good libertarian conclave. I hope it would stay that way. Though back to my question I wonder have I already answered my question in my post? Or do anyone think differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 05:34 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,697 times
Maybe one reason Huntington Beach is a favorite choice is merely the fact of it being "Surf City." Or just that it's a nice place to live that is still (for a CA beach town) somewhat affordable.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:06 PM

919 posts, read 789,509 times
Quote:
Or do anyone think differently?
I think very differently. I can't imagine being so obsessed about local issues. I live in Carlsbad and find it a very nice relaxed place to live - certainly not a Libertarian conclave. (thank God)

Old 03-11-2016, 06:21 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,138,336 times
Strange cities to compare. In any case, I'd say HD is much more libertarian than Carlsbad, which is rather conservative as far as I can see.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
I think very differently. I can't imagine being so obsessed about local issues. I live in Carlsbad and find it a very nice relaxed place to live - certainly not a Libertarian conclave. (thank God)
I like Carlsbad. I hope Carlsbad would stay that way and won't go the direction of Encinatas, Del Mar, San Diego, and recently Oceanside. All of which are heading the way same direction of the progressive nanny-ism that is plaguing a third of the state not to mention the state government. Apparently there are still no Democrats in the Carlsbad city council while the council majority in the other cities are now of Democrat majority or at least of those who think similarly. I wonder why the military residents of oceanside would let Democrats take control of city council. And they like many other coastal progressive minded cities now keep embrace policy making pushed by progressive busybodies that continues to erode away personal freedom(making its way to everything that is not required will be banned) unless its freedom under their own list of protected class. A good from of government respect both types of freedom. Next to HOAs municipalities are most likely to meddle with the average citizen than the federal or state governments. While I don't necessary agree with conservatives in general, I notice that within a municipality conservative city councils are less likely to adopt those we know whats best for you ordinances. I hope Carlsbad will remain this way into the future. I am also glad that the people of Huntington Beach went United 93 on city council that wants to turn Huntington Beach into another coastal "progressive" community of the new world California. I hope more citizens in California will do the same.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:45 PM

919 posts, read 789,509 times
Quote:
embrace policy making pushed by progressive busybodies that continues to erode away personal freedom(making its way to everything that is not required will be banned)
It must be tough living with that feeling of impending doom all the time. I don't really understand your thinking. I feel like I live in the country with maybe the most freedom in the world.

Sometimes things, like smoking, get banned because they are harmful to people. I don't feel that takes away my freedom, on the contrary, I feel very good that we look out for each other. It's part of what makes our country great. Sorry, for you, that you don't see it that way.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:48 PM

I wonder where you came from? Your screen name looks like you are from Hawaii. I am guessing you believe Hawaii is less free. You are right in some way as Hawaii is 47th freest state of the fifty states California is 49th on that list. NY is on fifth.
Though I guess you live in a very sheltered life in Carlsbad and away from most of the social issues in other parts of the state. I lived around LA and SF and understand all the issues that these cities face that are ignored while the city continuously to clamp down on relative non issues that drives citizens mad. These agendas are set so they make sure candidates will comply even if the originally supporting politicians were voted out.
What I believe is that the government should use more common sense and not just legislation on whats faddish, money making, pleases shareholders, and just because they befriend a certain group that pushes a legislation that makes them feel politically right whether liberal or conservative. They should focus on situations that the real community is concerned about such as social issues. I do believe the people of the city should have a voice on the ballot box to ban the sell of tobacco including e cigarettes within the city. As the city's role is to serve the people and not be supreme rulers. Though if the people voted to ban them the council members should comply and not bow down to tobacco companies who pleas or bribes. Though if people did not vote to ban them the city should not push any further aside from future elections. They shouldn't speculate whether the residents like a measure or not but they put it so all the people can voice their opinions. There are lines where governments should not cross such as they shouldn't be interfering with people's choice of marriage which does not affect the rights of others. Cities also should not make a big fuss about issues that only bother a few vocal busybodies but ignore issues that many residents face each day such as dangerous intersections, lack of clean public restrooms, etc. Also they should not go kneejerk to broadly ban a certain activity when the problem is not caused by it. I.e banning fireworks stands selling highly safety regulated fireworks to raise funding and celebrate the country just because some outlaws were launching M80s that were never legal in the first place. Similarly taking away people's hunting sport firearms does not prevent mass shootings I say this even though I am never a pro gun person but I have common sense on this matter.

Remember power corrupts and in those countries where freedom had been eroded badly it all started small and grow due to lack of counter power to keep them in check. Therefore I support the people in Orange County for holding their ground to keep governments in check. As eventually what happens in a few cities does not stay there it would eventually grow until it gets super large. The last line of defense is not politicians but the normal people. The french Revolution, Revolutionary war, Chinese revolution are few but good examples of citizens taking back their country.

fyi in Carlsbad the people stood up to put a proposed waterfront shopping paradise up to a public vote when the majority council favored business over residents interest this is a very good example of citizens involvement. Though otherwise Carlsbad is a pretty business and resident friendly place. Lets hope Carlsbad would stay this way. Alas for those who really value freedom California is probably not the best choice compared to states like South Dakota, Montana, Oklahoma, etc. Though those who must live in CA and prefer urban convenience but without the hassle Orange County or somewhere interior of LA is a good choice.

Though I would wonder as some posters say Huntington Beach is more libertarian I would wonder what they mean.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 03-13-2016 at 10:11 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 01:37 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,741 times
Though I dont know about the coast, back county San Diego has alot of libertarians. As with any socio political group, their numbers include a certain amount of "Do as I say, not as I do" types.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:07 PM

Just wondering does Oceanside have a tea party or other citizen oriented group like in Huntington Beach who closely monitors local issues.
Or is it despite being a military gate town it is just going to turn blue like anywhere else in the state and embrace in all those ridiculous policies. Also is the the demographics of the military itself increasingly turning blue nowadays?

Old 03-24-2016, 08:04 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,138,336 times
Well, Dana Rhorabacher (R) represents my town and all of the other towns all the way up the coastal area here in OC, up to Huntington Beach. Some might find Dana zany -- I do, but he strongly supports legalizing marijuana, something I agree with. Do politicians in North San Diego county stump for weed? Does Daryl Issa? LOL Left and Right are distorted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego