Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,349 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a soon-to-be college grad with a job offer to come to the San Diego branch of a company I interned with last summer. I've NEVER been to San Diego but all I hear about is the cost of living... which concerns me. I'd be looking for a 1BR but on 42K I don't think I could comfortably afford anything over $1,000 a month ($1,100 MAX). I don't have any kids or any other major financial obligations, but I don't want an entire paycheck going to my rent.

Is this at all possible??? And if so, in what parts of the city should I look? And of course I don't want to stay in any sketchy areas. I'm afraid I may have to walk away if they don't up the offer. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 05:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostAnAlumna View Post
but I don't want an entire paycheck going to my rent.
That's life in Southern California unless you've owned property for years, live with your parents, or have roommates.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:56 PM

490 posts, read 1,556,115 times
You'll be ok, may have to have a roommate or 2. .look in North Park (funky shops/ restaurants), Normal Heights, Hillcrest, South Park, University Heights. . .Good Luck Craigslist is your friend.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:00 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,407,757 times
If your car is paid for, a single person can live quite reasonably, even comfortably on 42k/year. You will have to acquire furniture and electronic items slowly but if you avoid the "must have it all, NOW!" mind set you will do fine.

There are plenty of 1 bedroom rentals in reasonable neighborhoods in your price range. However, in regards to housing costs, again you will have to avoid the "I must live one block from the beach, in a quiet and safe neighborhood next to a shopping mall and a nature preserve or I won't be satisfied" mentality that some people come to these boards with.

If you tell us in what part of the city you will be working, what else you are looking for besides non-sketchy, and frankly what you consider sketchy, we could be more specific in guiding your housing search.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:18 PM

9 posts, read 28,140 times
The prices in the county vary WIDELY. I guess you mean the actual City of San Diego? People here tend to call everywhere in the county "San Diego." I'm in North County, where it is much cheaper. Here, you could get a one-bedroom for $1,000 easily, even in a decent neighborhood.

I do think you could make it on $42k if you were really frugal AND you lived close to your job, and didn't have the gas costs. But I think S.D. city area, especially coastal, would have higher rents, especially if you don't want to be robbed when you leave your apartment.

Since you are young, you might enjoy living here, especially if you are active outdoors. Otherwise, for middle-aged people newly moving here who need a house, and will have to commute to afford a house, I would never recommend it.

Great weather (IF you are near the coast ONLY, or it is hot), beautiful beaches, but CROWDED. Terrible overcrowding and horrendous traffic. During tourist season (June, July, August), forget about going anywhere without a lot of traffic. So, to me, it is not a good place to live.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:59 AM
BNB

172 posts, read 692,242 times
I'd vote for finding a nice house to rent with a room-mate. My daughter is renting a one BR apartment in Carmel Mtn. Ranch and they are paying 1300 a month...its beautiful and in a good area, but geeee....that is horrible. It just kills me that they pay that. I have a three bedroom house in Clairemont for 1900. But I have to pay for water and maintain the lawns.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:20 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,987,336 times
I totally agree. Start out by moving into an existing month-to-month roommate situation. There are plenty to be found here at Craigslist:

san diego rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

Then once you become more familiar with San Diego, you can decide if you want to rent your own place.

Clairemont is a very nice section of San Diego. It's close to the beaches, and has plenty of shopping centers, restaurants, and everything else you need to live. Plenty of roommate situations can be found here:

san diego craigslist > rooms & shares: search for "clairemont"

Old 03-04-2008, 01:26 PM

46 posts, read 148,545 times
i'd find a roommate, or somebody that owns a home and needs help paying the mortgage. use that time to gather nice furnishings (craigslist) and look around for areas that you'd enjoy.

you may find something under $1000, but not desirable.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:56 PM

957 posts, read 3,352,072 times
I advise everybody to do some researching once you know what area you want to be in. Just go to Rent.com, ForRent.com, or like someone said Craigslist.

Once you know your salary, go to PaycheckCity.com - Employee Self-Service Tools To Better Manage Your Paycheck to see the precise amount you will take home and then take it from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: