Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 05:45 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,541,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Vista has some really, really ratty sections of run-down homes and unkept properties, grafitti in suburban areas, small single family homes with 12+ people in them, etc. The city has no real police, code enforcement, community services, etc. Shadowridge is sort of a master-planned community island. You pay a premium for the location but everything else is a big step down from Temecula IMO. And I know it's a bit hotter in IE but not nearly as much as people think. And finally - even though terrible schools is not a direct issue for a retiree, what does it tell you about the people who live there and who's going to be living there in the next 10 years? San Marcos would be a big step up but is more of a cookie-cutter suburbia than Vista.

^^^
Pay attention to this guy. The only thing I would add is that the single family homes probably have more like 20 people in them, (many of these houses are 1,000 sq. ft. or less), plus another 10 people or more in the converted (not to code) garage, plus at least another half dozen or more in broke-down RVs, trailers, garden sheds & camper shells in the back yard, front yard, driveway, etc. or parked on the street.

The attitude of Code Enforcement is "hey, it's Vista, gotta expect that"

Vista contracts with the Humane Society in Oceanside for animal control. They have limited hours & callers are often advised to leave a message. Vista is well-known for its free-range, frequently unvaccinated & seldom spayed or neutered pit bull dog population. Oh, and roosters...no, not hens or chickens...fighting roosters, know what I mean?

Vista's law enforcement is contracted with San Diego Co. Sheriff. I once spoke with an off-duty deputy who told me that Vista & Encinitas use the "swarming" method....there just aren't enough deputy sheriffs to cover both communities, so they will switch officers from one community to another to give the "appearance" of a larger law enforcement presence. I guess it was Encinita's turn on the night of the drive-by shooting around the corner from my house.

Yes, Shadowridge is the "better, safer" area of Vista. I would not call it new...that project was begun in 1984 & has long been built out. You will pay HOAs there. The public schools are overcrowded, in Shadowridge as well, but may have a slightly higher overall quality of education than the non-Shadowridge schools.

But hey, what do I know? I only lived in Vista for 21 years...

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 03-15-2017 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 07:07 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,501,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
Temecula is hard to concisely define and contains a higher number of smaller (by population) tracts, but the highest tract has a bachelor's rate of 38% a number in the low to mid 30's, a number in the 20's and one is below 20%. Rough guesstimate would be 34% average. Masters rough average 11 or 12%. Median HHI does appear to be quite a bit higher overall -- roughly double Shadowridge or Rolando.

Now most parts of places like Carlsbad and Encinitas have bachelor's rates all over 45% and plenty in the 60's or higher.
There's a reason why my kids don't go to school in Rolando, these stats reflect only one small element of it.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:14 PM

771 posts, read 837,099 times
Thanks to Rosie and Sassberto (and anyone else I missed) for their insights!

Old 03-15-2017, 11:14 PM

300 posts, read 330,060 times
Interesting info in this thread.

I've lived in Vista for over thirty years, hopefully moving out of state this year.

I've had a few instances of criminal activity directed at me, and our street is a race track (at least according to RBV students), but all it all it's pretty quiet. Problem is we're more or less land locked in a small, nice block, but surrounded by sprawl, population, and all the other things that come with urban lifestyles.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:07 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,541,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post
Interesting info in this thread.

I've lived in Vista for over thirty years, hopefully moving out of state this year.

I've had a few instances of criminal activity directed at me, and our street is a race track (at least according to RBV students), but all it all it's pretty quiet. Problem is we're more or less land locked in a small, nice block, but surrounded by sprawl, population, and all the other things that come with urban lifestyles.

If you live near RBV, then you must live in Shadowridge, or somewhere close to Shadowridge, far south of Hwy. 78...a different world.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
If you live near RBV, then you must live in Shadowridge, or somewhere close to Shadowridge, far south of Hwy. 78...a different world.
Shadowridge is about 3/4 mile away, and I'm located less than a quarter mile from the 78, in a more or less landlocked area surrounded by growth.

Our street is a major connector to other areas, and even though it's a small two lane, twisty road, it has quite a bit of traffic. Which will increase by at least 500 cars per day once the new houses, condos and apartments go in, locally.

Being landlocked, I guess it is a bit of a different world, but we're leaving anyway. Having to deal with the surrounding area just isn't worth it to us at this point.

Even being landlocked, we still get our share of criminal activity coming in from the outside areas. We've had drive-by shootings, the usual burglaries, thefts, DUI's, at least one decent crash per week on the street (due to the idiots that feel a twisty road mandates maximum speed and tire squeal - but their skills aren't up to the challenge). The Vista Sheriff's office does nothing to enforce the speed laws, and their only response is after the fact.

I guess I've been lucky, living in this area for years versus other, more crime infested areas. Heck, I've only been shot at three times.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 AM

50,432 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post
Shadowridge is about 3/4 mile away, and I'm located less than a quarter mile from the 78, in a more or less landlocked area surrounded by growth.

Our street is a major connector to other areas, and even though it's a small two lane, twisty road, it has quite a bit of traffic. Which will increase by at least 500 cars per day once the new houses, condos and apartments go in, locally.

Being landlocked, I guess it is a bit of a different world, but we're leaving anyway. Having to deal with the surrounding area just isn't worth it to us at this point.

Even being landlocked, we still get our share of criminal activity coming in from the outside areas. We've had drive-by shootings, the usual burglaries, thefts, DUI's, at least one decent crash per week on the street (due to the idiots that feel a twisty road mandates maximum speed and tire squeal - but their skills aren't up to the challenge). The Vista Sheriff's office does nothing to enforce the speed laws, and their only response is after the fact.

I guess I've been lucky, living in this area for years versus other, more crime infested areas. Heck, I've only been shot at three times.
For reals?

Old 03-21-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
For reals?

Yep, first and second were drive-bys while I was out watering the weeds in the front yard. Local idiot gang members felt the need to add a couple of holes into my house. I just happened to be out there more or less in the path of the bullets.

Third was a mini truck with two gang members that tried to chase me down after I rescued a rape victim on South Santa Fe. That one was lots of shots, over a ten or so minute period, until I managed to find a deputy that was patrolling. A large part of that incident was my stupidity in rescuing a rape victim, according to the deputies. But hell, when you see that happening, what are you going to do? Ignore it?

But then again, I've been here over thirty years, and my normalcy bias is telling me that only three attempts in three decades isn't that bad.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:05 AM

86 posts, read 92,791 times
I live right off Shadowridge and there's plenty of crime here as well. I love my home state but it's becoming a joke.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:14 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,664,025 times
I wonder if JamesBlazen, the original poster who asked about Vista, has returned to read the latest posts?

Czechsix - wow! If I may ask where are you thinking of moving to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego