Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 01:39 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times

Advertisements

We are moving from an area where ethnic restaurants are on every corner. By ethnic, I don't mean American chains like Taco Bell, Olive Garden, etc. We have a huge Middle Eastern community about 10 minutes from us that has plenty of restaurants serving some of the best gyros. There is also a huge Polish population right in our town, with many Polish restaurants and stores that sell only Polish and European products. Also just down the street is an amazing Peruvian and a Colombian restaurant, where the patrons and staff barely speak any English. About a 15 minute drive from us, and you are in the biggest Portugese/Brazilian neighborhood in NJ, with tons of great restaurants and bakeries. I know SD doesn't have a Chinatown, so that will be greatly missed, but are there truly authentic ethnic restaurants in SD? When we were there in December, we didn't see too many. I should also note, we're looking for places that are inexpensive (the average price at all these ethnic places here is $6 for a meal). It's the fake ones that seem to overcharge for mediocre food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 04:20 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,601 times
SD is known for Fish Tacos.Also as of about 8 years,Carne Asada Fries came about and is nearly a Staple.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:40 PM

99 posts, read 368,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We are moving from an area where ethnic restaurants are on every corner. By ethnic, I don't mean American chains like Taco Bell, Olive Garden, etc. We have a huge Middle Eastern community about 10 minutes from us that has plenty of restaurants serving some of the best gyros. There is also a huge Polish population right in our town, with many Polish restaurants and stores that sell only Polish and European products. Also just down the street is an amazing Peruvian and a Colombian restaurant, where the patrons and staff barely speak any English. About a 15 minute drive from us, and you are in the biggest Portugese/Brazilian neighborhood in NJ, with tons of great restaurants and bakeries. I know SD doesn't have a Chinatown, so that will be greatly missed, but are there truly authentic ethnic restaurants in SD? When we were there in December, we didn't see too many. I should also note, we're looking for places that are inexpensive (the average price at all these ethnic places here is $6 for a meal). It's the fake ones that seem to overcharge for mediocre food.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...nese-food.html

Old 04-16-2008, 04:58 PM

288 posts, read 919,143 times
I haven't found a decent cheap Chinese food place yet, but there are plenty of Vietnamese restaurants serving big bowls of pho for $6 or less.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:42 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
If you want Filipino food look in National City, great food authentic food there. Obviously Mexican is everywhere and the most authentic is of course in Mexico. Small day trips down there can be fun and tasty. This is a great upscale restaurant in TJ that is not too expensive for the quality of food: :: La Diferencia Restaurant, Excelencia en Comida Mexicana :: Tijuana, Baja California, México. Baja Great Places.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:45 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
That's what I was afraid of. Guess I better learn to like Mexican food...

Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 AM

44 posts, read 197,107 times
There are some really great and authentic Asian (mainly Korean/Japanese/Chinese) places up in Kearny Mesa off of Convoy St.
And I know of some little pockets around town with good Ethiopian, Vietnamese, etc, but you *really* have to do some hunting and research.

But yeah, sadly, San Diego is still very far behind when it comes to ethnic cuisine.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:30 AM

109 posts, read 395,219 times
Any good Thai?

I know I went to two REALLY good french bistro's when I was last out - one in Del Mar Heights in a shopping area - Champagne Bistro, I think. (I know, yuppie h*ll, but trust me - really good!). There was another in Bird Rock but I have no idea what road or what it's called. There was road construction on the street so it was tricky getting in, if that helps locate it at all. I had some amazing crepes with egg and goatcheese for breakfast, with great cappucino and baguettes.

I hope there's a good variety of ethnic food around, as I've gotten rather spoiled in Minneapolis/St Paul - Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, African, even great Mexican food, right in little old Savage MN! It might surprise you, but we have a HUGE Mexican population here! But I digress. I"m just looking forward to trying the fish tacos and Carne Asada Fries, now that I know about them. I'm glad there are pho houses though - that's a great comfort food when the weather's cold and wet!

Any good tamale stands without heading south of the border?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 AM

44 posts, read 197,107 times
There are some great Thai places around town, but some of them are more authentic than others. I'm partial to Taste of Thai on University Ave. in Hillcrest. I'm sure some people would complain that it's too americanized but I've been going there for years and years. As deficient in ethnic food places as San Diego is, we are not in any want of more Thai restaurants, at one point there seemed to be a new one opening up on every corner!

As far as tamales, Tamale Anceria is fantastic, cheap and they now have 3 locations: Chula Vista, Pacific Beach, and Escondido.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 AM

521 posts, read 1,629,081 times
There are two places on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. Just off the 805 that come to the top of my head.
Buga - Korean BBQ. Awesome place. Right off the 805 to the west (In fact, if you get off the 805 south, the entrance is immediately to your right). You gotta try it out (google it). The beef is marinated, and they have the grills on the table.

Niban - This place is just east off the 805 on Clairemont Mesa. There are many stores around it. Its right next to the Players Club (I think thats what its called). Great sushi. Came recommended from a Japanese friend of mine.
For some reason, this whole area has a strong Asian presence.

Theres also this sushi place inside the Hotel Royale off the 8 by hotel circle.

Other than these few places, there has been many posts about mexican/taco eateries that you can search for, so I wont get into these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego