Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 09:25 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,286,247 times

Advertisements

What the heck is a soft closure for beaches? This is from an article on K-U-S-I. I can’t link it because CD thinks the call sign is a bad word and asterisks it out.

“The City of Oceanside is one of only two cities in San Diego County to keep their beaches open over the weekend. Authorities say they kept their beaches open because the residents and visitors have been following the social distancing orders.

Although the beach is technically open with a soft closure, the Oceanside Pier is closed.

Oceanside beaches have soft closure, following the lead of state beaches such as Carlsbad State Beach, Torrey Pines and others up and down the state. All lots west of the train tracks are closed.”

Old 03-31-2020, 09:52 AM

15,130 posts, read 32,361,461 times
K-U-S-I means p-e-e in Finnish.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
K-U-S-I means p-e-e in Finnish.
Good to know CD is looking out for the Finnish posters.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:27 AM

6,514 posts, read 7,557,249 times
"Soft closure" is what city of SD tried the first week of this social distancing stuff on the weekend of 3/21, people supposedly didn't adhere to the recommendations and continued to congregate in large groups on the the beach so law enforcement officially shut it down.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:33 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,812,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
What about postal service? What if someone at the post office was infected and now so is your mail? Gas stations. What if someone infected got gas before you?

People can play that game all day long. Before you know it, people are walking around in hazmat suits.
Yep. Mail too. I wash my hands right after getting the mail and handling and opening boxes. Gas as well touching a gas pump

I have a healthcare friend disagree with me about glove use. I bought an inexpensive box two weeks ago at Walgreens. I told her - how do we know we aren’t infected but showing very mild symptoms. If a cashier with gloves on for 3/4 hours is handling cash and exchanges with 100 people why would I not wear gloves during my 10 minutes of walking around the store handling items and then the payment interaction I have with a cashier. I discard the gloves right before I get in my car and then apply some hand sanitizer.

My understanding masks are mainly sold out but gloves are more available. I bought the gloves because I report to work 50% of the time but I’ve used them at grocery store

Old 03-31-2020, 10:34 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,241,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
"Soft closure" is what city of SD tried the first week of this social distancing stuff on the weekend of 3/21, people supposedly didn't adhere to the recommendations and continued to congregate in large groups on the the beach so law enforcement officially shut it down.
Nextdoor is lit up with 'all about me' whiners to open up the 56 bike route and the trails claiming social distancing is a non-issue.

Go for it; The Darwin Awards are calling.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:38 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,571,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
What the heck is a soft closure for beaches? This is from an article on K-U-S-I. I can’t link it because CD thinks the call sign is a bad word and asterisks it out.

“The City of Oceanside is one of only two cities in San Diego County to keep their beaches open over the weekend. Authorities say they kept their beaches open because the residents and visitors have been following the social distancing orders.

Although the beach is technically open with a soft closure, the Oceanside Pier is closed.

Oceanside beaches have soft closure, following the lead of state beaches such as Carlsbad State Beach, Torrey Pines and others up and down the state. All lots west of the train tracks are closed.”
Dan Plante is the new Rod Luck
I cant stand this guy
soft close meaning
https://www.****.com/oceanside-vista...d-trails-open/

Old 03-31-2020, 10:45 AM

3,351 posts, read 2,320,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Its interesting the "soft closure" only lasted quarter of a day though by the end of the day they took the hard step of shutting down the whole beach instead for next morning. Rather than keep them open another day to see how the parking lot closures are helping. I highly doubt during the weekday with the parking lots closed crowds will ever form particularly since it was pretty cold and rainy for much of the week, A day on the beach or parks is one hundred times safer than entering a grocery store, warehouse, or supercenter like Target or WalMart. I am surprised they don't all go to curbside pickup so people don't have to approach each other and cashiers at close quarters and handle money, touch the screen, or shopping carts as well as touch all those items on the shelves.

Closing the boardwalk seems even more of a dumb idea even compared to the closing the beach itself as the boardwalk is a wide alternative to the sidewalk on Mission Blvd and for quite a number of households their only pedestrian access, their garage faces the small alley behind.

Oceanside, some Orange County Beaches, and CA state beaches are the smart ones. So is Santa Cruz with its famous beach boardwalk, Half Moon Bay, and San Francisco's Oceanbeach even though the Bay Area had be pretty much the epicenter of the pandemic in the state.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:28 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,183,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Nextdoor is lit up with 'all about me' whiners to open up the 56 bike route and the trails claiming social distancing is a non-issue.

Go for it; The Darwin Awards are calling.
Hordes of people exerting themselves, deeply inhaling and exhaling all along the same linear path - what could possibly go wrong?

Old 03-31-2020, 01:24 PM

Thanks to all that replied on the soft closings of the beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego