Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 06:22 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That was a covid thing. If you don't ask for it you won't get it. Going through In N Out without their sacred paste. You had to ask for it. Rubios. No hot sauce? You had to ask for it. I think it was a San Diego thing. All the over hyped covid mess.
Its just a being cheap thing as I hardly ever been asked whether I want ketchup or anything else with my order for the last decade or so in any fast food place maybe except for a few non corporate ones. This was long before COVID was a thing. They try to cheapen out things as much as they can. Now they get legislators behind them should people complain. Just as with straws in restaurants, while they could train their staff to ask whether the customer wants a straw or allow people to self help to them on the table just as with ketchup or other sauces and utencils, but they choose to inteprete the legislation to make it chainwide policy to hide them deep in the kitchen and run away after putting the drink down and act annoyed should anyone dare ask for them while they are delivering the drink no matter how gross the cup is to keep overheads on straws as low as possible. Again just being cheap and help corporate wallets. They love the eco movements and legislation as now they can cut overhead costs and tell customers to blame the government rather than their corporate instead.

Interestingly when CA initiated the water upon request thing in prior droughts, wait staff still ask people if they want water. But I guess nowadays if this happens again its likely you would have to beg them for it and they will act really annoyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 09:16 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Its just a being cheap thing as I hardly ever been asked whether I want ketchup or anything else with my order for the last decade or so in any fast food place maybe except for a few non corporate ones. This was long before COVID was a thing. They try to cheapen out things as much as they can. Now they get legislators behind them should people complain. Just as with straws in restaurants, while they could train their staff to ask whether the customer wants a straw or allow people to self help to them on the table just as with ketchup or other sauces and utencils, but they choose to inteprete the legislation to make it chainwide policy to hide them deep in the kitchen and run away after putting the drink down and act annoyed should anyone dare ask for them while they are delivering the drink no matter how gross the cup is to keep overheads on straws as low as possible. Again just being cheap and help corporate wallets. They love the eco movements and legislation as now they can cut overhead costs and tell customers to blame the government rather than their corporate instead.

Interestingly when CA initiated the water upon request thing in prior droughts, wait staff still ask people if they want water. But I guess nowadays if this happens again its likely you would have to beg them for it and they will act really annoyed.
Like how we went from "save the trees" and used styrofoam, now don't use anything oil based, go back to tree based. We've lost our collective minds.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Like how we went from "save the trees" and used styrofoam, now don't use anything oil based, go back to tree based. We've lost our collective minds.
Another advantage of San Diego County is there is no Spare the air Days. Interesting they went from banning wood in favor of natural gas on spare the air days in other urban counties, but now they want to ban natural gas as well. Lots of hypocrisy.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:20 AM

3,067 posts, read 1,737,720 times
Quote:

Yes I believe the California rule now is that you have to ask for a straw. I was in Austin and I actually asked for a straw and they said they were a strawless outfit. So I didn’t tip her well and I will never go back. Austin sucks. My friend said why are you going to short her it’s not her fault the business decision. And that is correct however, she said it with a bit of an attitude and I thought that was not cool.

Old 06-11-2022, 10:44 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Other than some drip irrigation which we only use during the hottest couple months of the year, there's nothing to cut back on. There's a set amount of water use our family needs to survive and maintain life at a first world standard. I have zero intention to downgrade that.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Yes I believe the California rule now is that you have to ask for a straw. I was in Austin and I actually asked for a straw and they said they were a strawless outfit. So I didn’t tip her well and I will never go back. Austin sucks. My friend said why are you going to short her it’s not her fault the business decision. And that is correct however, she said it with a bit of an attitude and I thought that was not cool.
In some chain places you have to beg for one and they will take their sweet time to get one from the back of the kitchen, however some independent places still operate like they used to. Yes at least four places gave me an attitude or asking back in 2019 which was surprising for tipped employees to do it as its a perfect reason to cut short on tip, and their cup was absolutely disgusting. The whole reason for straws in the past was due to health department recommendations if not requirements. I guess it all went out the window in the new eco obessed world many of their recommendations actually significantly increase use of water not decrease it.

Corporations really had embraced this go green fad in the last decade or so. 24 hour fitness which been going downhill since 2015, first they cut steam room hours using the drought as an excuse at the same time they "upgraded" many clubs without actually adding amenties, in 2017 they started to abolish towel service again using the "green" excuse but while keeping higher prices the same, than they started to cut hours to twenty hours. Many clubs are still operating under shortened hours post COVID only a few returned to twenty four hour operations. Don't even get me started on Disney or the cruise lines. Bunch of hypocrites.

Apparently LA times defended the rabid building and permitting of more development ranging from McMansions by fire threatened hillsides to towering apartments during the drought, I be curious they have the audacity to ask people take shorter showers when they dump thousands of gallons a minute for dust control. I am guessing the elites around CA are regretting their old environmental rules had unintentionally caused housing crisis with California housing prices being high due to lack of supply thats why they are panic building these days. Whether its true I am not sure.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:04 AM

3,067 posts, read 1,737,720 times
Quote:
Corporations really had embraced this go green fad in the last decade or so. 24 hour fitness which been going downhill since 2015, first they cut steam room hours using the drought as an excuse at the same time they "upgraded" many clubs without actually adding amenties, in 2017 they started to abolish towel service again using the "green" excuse but while keeping higher prices the same, than they started to cut hours to twenty hours. Many clubs are still operating under shortened hours post COVID only a few returned to twenty four hour operations. Don't even get me started on Disney or the cruise lines. Bunch of hypocrites.
Oh don't get me started on 24 hour fitness. They recently did away with towels for use while in the club, citing environmental BS. I don't buy it. They just save money not having to wash and maintain the towels. And I too have noticed that the higher end clubs really don't offer much more. I'm not sure it's a nationwide thing. I wonder if it's a California thing. The prices here for rent and everything are so damn high, businesses have to pack people in just to stay viable. It's everywhere. Everywhere is packed all the time. If you go to other parts of the country, many places have no lines or waiting. Gyms are clean and not so packed all the time.

The thing is, I like having a gym membership. I like going to the gym and there aren't many better options here. I'm only paying $35/month which is not bad. FIT would cost over a hundred I think.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:32 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Oh don't get me started on 24 hour fitness. They recently did away with towels for use while in the club, citing environmental BS. I don't buy it. They just save money not having to wash and maintain the towels. And I too have noticed that the higher end clubs really don't offer much more. I'm not sure it's a nationwide thing. I wonder if it's a California thing. The prices here for rent and everything are so damn high, businesses have to pack people in just to stay viable. It's everywhere. Everywhere is packed all the time. If you go to other parts of the country, many places have no lines or waiting. Gyms are clean and not so packed all the time.

The thing is, I like having a gym membership. I like going to the gym and there aren't many better options here. I'm only paying $35/month which is not bad. FIT would cost over a hundred I think.
Gym's were supposed to be "in addition to" a domicile, as compared to "in leau of" a domicile.
People do their bathing/toileting at these gyms now. They are no longer supplying towels to members, to discourage use outside the gym's policies. Next will be TP...

FWIW~ I was affiliated with a "Wellness Center" on ECR in C'bad. Hardly anyone in the building, prior to COVID. It has NOT re-opened since the lockdown.

Old 06-12-2022, 05:09 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Other than some drip irrigation which we only use during the hottest couple months of the year, there's nothing to cut back on. There's a set amount of water use our family needs to survive and maintain life at a first world standard. I have zero intention to downgrade that.
I mean, how many times can you expect people to urinate without flushing.....

Old 06-18-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I think you might thinking of urban usage (which includes commercial, FYI) is 10%. Agricultural is 40%, and environmental (ie rivers/streams/deltas) is 50%.

But yeah, cutting back at home does absolutely nothing in the big picture. I get falling for this narrative when I was younger and it was stuffed down our throats in school, but now with all the data out there at our finger tips I can’t believe people still fall for this?

Until they address the corporate farms using the lion’s share for practically nothing, or build new infrastructure to capture more before flowing out to sea, I’ll keep my property looking like Hawaii. Needless to say I’ll be ignoring these restrictions proudly.

https://www.ppic.org/wp-content/uplo...-water-use.pdf
I be curious how much is domestic water use in residences and I don't include HOA neighborhoods with their massive amounts of water hungry landscaping or construction sites either home or condo that pours thousands of gallons a minute for dust control purposes.

Surprised they even think of sweating the microsopic stuff when everything else is giant. I Just receive a red letter from our local water district on mandatory water restrictions within SD County which I loathe to open. I originally thought with the desalination plant and the situation in SD county this day won't come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego