Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM

28 posts, read 67,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Just wait until you experience your 1st snow-free winter! It's the greatest thing in the world! We moved here form North Jersey in Oct 2008 and for the first year, wore shorts year round. Then, we got accustomed to the weather and are now freezing in anything below 70! Do you know where you're moving to? Where in Jersey are you?

Moving from West Orange, ill be working at UCSD in Hillcrest and La Jolla starting in June, so im stil trying to figure out where to live. Coming from the East Coast im thinking Downtown will be best. I'm in my mid 20s moving by myself to a city where i know no one. Just looking at all these pictures gets me excited... I really hope I will be happy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 02:21 PM

40 posts, read 157,571 times
Thumbs up HI Mak

Hi Mak Your pics just take my breath away Iam a fourth generation native San Diegan sitting back home here in Chicago with 22 inches of snow outside
I really needed to see your beautiful pics La mesa is beautiful too Sd Suburanite and you are the best There are so many talented ladies and gentlmen her Thanks to o all Rose

Old 02-02-2011, 02:27 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman26 View Post
Moving from West Orange, ill be working at UCSD in Hillcrest and La Jolla starting in June, so im stil trying to figure out where to live. Coming from the East Coast im thinking Downtown will be best. I'm in my mid 20s moving by myself to a city where i know no one. Just looking at all these pictures gets me excited... I really hope I will be happy there.
Hillcrest is my favorite neighborhood in this city. We stupidly moved away earlier this month and will be moving back as soon as our lease is up in suburbia land!

GratefulDeb on here is from West Orange, she moved 3 months before us! We're from Clifton, not too far from WO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose60 View Post
Hi Mak Your pics just take my breath away Iam a fourth generation native San Diegan sitting back home here in Chicago with 22 inches of snow outside
I really needed to see your beautiful pics La mesa is beautiful too Sd Suburanite and you are the best There are so many talented ladies and gentlmen her Thanks to o all Rose
Aww, thank you! Sorry you have to deal with all that snow, Chicago is definitely known for harsh winters!

Old 02-02-2011, 02:29 PM

40 posts, read 157,571 times
Hi Mak Hilcrest is certainly close to the top Ilove Kennsington and Pt Loma i still love La Mesa because of the quaint Antique Shops on La Mesa Blvd Rose

Old 02-02-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Hillcrest is my favorite neighborhood in this city. We stupidly moved away earlier this month and will be moving back as soon as our lease is up in suburbia land!

GratefulDeb on here is from West Orange, she moved 3 months before us! We're from Clifton, not too far from WO!

Aww, thank you! Sorry you have to deal with all that snow, Chicago is definitely known for harsh winters!

GratefulDeb reached out to me and has been immensely helpful. Mak may i ask what you like so much about hillcrest and why u want to go back after living in suburbia? What makes hillcrest so appealing and what are your thoughts on downtown?

Old 02-02-2011, 04:12 PM

Downtown is great too, but I have never lived there personally so can't comment on what it's like to live, though I imagine it's the same since everything is within walking distance. In Hillcrest, I'd walk out of our condo, walk 2 blocks, and was surrounded by tons of restaurants, coffee shops, the supermarket (Ralph's, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods) were all within walking distance. Downtown was a very short ride away, it's just an awesome, central location.

We now live in the college area and don't like it at all. It's suburbia, with neighbors right on top of you, kids everywhere and you have to get into your car every single time you go somewhere. That is the part I hate the most, the driving everywhere part. I'm so used to walking to the store and can no longer do so. Also, I have never seen this many cops anywhere in San Diego. Both my husband and I noticed from day 1 that every single time we go out, there are 4-5 police cars surrounding some car for some reason, can't be that safe! And, a week after moving here, a jogger in her 20s was attacked at 1pm a few blocks from our house! I definitely do not feel safe walking the dogs here, so I end up putting them in the car and driving to areas that are closer to Hillcrest so that I can walk them. So suburbia does not mean safety, we felt much safer in Hillcrest and have never had any issues with safety while living there. We cannot wait to move back!

Old 02-02-2011, 04:31 PM

whats the lifestyle in hillcrest like? is it very busy? loud? rough? or is it more like downtown montclair but much larger? considering i will be working in the hospital, can you recommend any apts in the area? any thoughts on north park? Thanks!

Old 02-02-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman26 View Post
whats the lifestyle in hillcrest like? is it very busy? loud? rough? or is it more like downtown montclair but much larger? considering i will be working in the hospital, can you recommend any apts in the area? any thoughts on north park? Thanks!
You pegged it, exactly like downtown Montclair. Where we lived, it was very quite. We were 2 blocks from the main road and it was totally different than if we lived right on a main street. You got the quiet neighborhood, but within a short walk of all the action if that's what you want. Awesome restaurants that we still drive to several times a week and just a great atmosphere. That's the 3rd neighborhood we've lived in since moving to SD (1st year was UTC, 2nd Hillcrest, now College) and it's by far our favorite.

North Park is great too. I wouldn't want to live on University, 30th, 5th, 4th...pretty much on any of the main roads because of the constant traffic/noise. We got very lucky and had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 1000sq condo for $1500/month. Newly renovated, with a nice patio. You won't find that now, we got really lucky! There were 8 units in our condo, 6 were owned and 2 rented. The other renters had an identical unit and paid $1800/month, which is what we should have paid but our landlord was cool.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,676 times
Quote:

native bloomfielder here....represent!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:42 AM

wow Bloomfield, Clifton and West Orange! so I wont be aloof!
@Lion, how are you enjoying San Diego?
@Mak, what would be your ideal location (perfect place to live) in Downtown, Hillcrest and North/South park?

I would really appreciate your thoughts.... with all the snow here, unfortunately I am using up my PTO and i dont think I'll get a chance to visit before I move. I dont want to move to an area and regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego