Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,077 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the military and the wife and i are trying to decide where in California to move when i get out in 2011. I'll be 24 and she'll be 23 at the time. I've a couple questions about moving to San Diego and would love to hear opinions.
First, im hoping to join SDPD as soon as i get there. Anyone familiar with about how long it takes from starting the recruitment process till you actually make it to the academy.
Second, we dont plan on buying a house as soon as we get there, but see that in our not so distant future. I know its not until 2011, but is San Diego a good place for first time buyers? And if so, where's the best place too look? (preferably with less crime)
Third, we'd like to start having kids a couple of years after living in San Diego. I went to school in Alabama so i know it cant be worse, but i'd just like to know how are the Schools in San Diego?
Lastly, i appreciate all additional information anyone has, so feel free to add anything else.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 11:31 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,406,148 times
A few years ago, the SDPD was hemorrhaging officers and was recruiting heavily. Now, with the current budget situation the city has frozen hiring, however, by 2011 things may have eased and you will have a better time of it.

San Diego is an expensive housing market. It will ALWAYS be an expensive housing market. I understand the importance of good schools, however, California allows charter schools so you are not locked into the neighborhood school. There's no reason why you couldn't buy in a neighborhood with so-so schools and either send your kids to a charter school, or 7 or 8 years after you move in, sell and move to another neighborhood. It's way too soon to really talk about neighborhoods. There's a county of 3 million people the size of Connecticut for you to choose from. You will need to give us more than good schools and low crime as criteria. We need your budget and your commute route to help you choose too. Your likes, dislikes, vibe, would be useful too. When you move here there will be plenty of time to get a feel for the neighborhoods if you aren't buying right away.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:12 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,804 times
You might also consider joining a police force for one of the many suburbs of San Diego- many of them have their own force, and this will allow you to avoid a long commute if you want to live in a community with more choice in schools. My husband is used to be an officer with the Oceanside Police Department and driving to the academy was a real pain every day, but once he graduated he had no commute to speak of because we also lived in Oceanside. The recruiting process is basically the same for the entire county, including psycholigical evaluations, several physicals, tests of athletic ability (cops only get out of shape *after* they start working ), interviews between the hiring department and many of your close friends and relatives....it's a long process. The easiest part is the academy itself because you have a set schedule, you're learning new things, get to make friends, etc. Once you start working your beat though, it's a whole new world. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2009, 09:12 AM

111 posts, read 461,055 times
Can's say much about being a police officer.

Housing prices are outrageous in San Diego. Even in today's times with unemployment and foreclosures, housing prices are still very high. Don't worry, though, it's not impossible to find a house, a lot of the time is that you have ot wait for the right house to come up at the right price. I'm guessing that you should rent fora year or two before trying to buy.

Schools are generally good, but as in all cities, there's good and here's bad. Generally speaking, the richer the area, the better the school. This is becuase they can keep ration of students to teachers low, more money means more resources for programs (wether it is extra money for art or science, money to buy supplies is better than no money). In general, your child will go to school where you live, called yoru "neighborhood school". But there are a bunch of program such as CHOICE and MAGNET programs that allow you to attend school at another neighborhood.

See here for details:
San Diego School System

Old 06-22-2009, 05:23 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvSD View Post
Schools are generally good, but as in all cities, there's good and here's bad. Generally speaking, the richer the area, the better the school. This is becuase they can keep ratio[n] of students to teachers low, more money means more resources for programs (wether it is extra money for art or science, money to buy supplies is better than no money). In general, your child will go to school where you live, called yoru "neighborhood school". But there are a bunch of program such as CHOICE and MAGNET programs that allow you to attend school at another neighborhood.

See here for details:
San Diego School System
The reason the schools are better in richer areas has nothing to do with funding. Funding has been equalized throughout the state by a late 1970s court decision. Schools in richer areas are better because the parents insist on a higher level of performance from their children. Concomitant with that, the more senior teachers use their tenure to teach in these schools because they prefer the atmosphere. That also helps boost performance.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:38 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
The reason the schools are better in richer areas has nothing to do with funding. Funding has been equalized throughout the state by a late 1970s court decision. Schools in richer areas are better because the parents insist on a higher level of performance from their children. Concomitant with that, the more senior teachers use their tenure to teach in these schools because they prefer the atmosphere. That also helps boost performance.
While that is true, schools in richer areas do a LOT of very successful private fundraising that poorer schools cannot match. It goes way beyond bake sales.... imagine art auctions.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:18 PM

93 posts, read 228,441 times
Children learn their values by the observation of their parents' behavior. Successful people pass those traits which enabled them to be successful to their children. People who lack the traits necessary for success model a different set of values to their children. How much money a school has available is a comparatively minor variable when it comes to producing quality students and quality people.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:17 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
While that is true, schools in richer areas do a LOT of very successful private fundraising that poorer schools cannot match. It goes way beyond bake sales.... imagine art auctions.
I went to a high school in Florida that was primarily white, middle-class kids. It was a magnet school and I was in the 'digital media and arts' program. In the same city there was a public high school that was also magnet with an IB program. Because of that, it attracted kids of the city's doctors and lawyers, and generally was a wealthier mix than where I went. Although the school I went to had the official "program" for technology, the other school had more advanced equipment and more expenditures of new items.

Why? ...because of donations from the parents and large-scale fundraisers. I remember the one school auctioning off a donated custom Porsche because of the kids parent's owned an antique race car collection.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
it is hard to even make an educated guess what things will be like in 2011. The only thing I will say, is what someone else said, you may want to try a smaller police Dept. Many larger police depts now (I don't know about San Diego) are consentrating on college grads.

As for first time home buyers in SAn Diego, property is very pricey no matter where you choose to live in the city. Even if your wife is working, which I assume she will be, home buying unless you have a large down payment will to tough.

Nita

Old 06-23-2009, 04:53 PM

157 posts, read 645,061 times
its potentially for everone.

as long as you got da CASH.

money talks , poor folkz walks.

man I be tryin hard to keep afloat.

i gots the wills an da wayz.

PEECE OUT FOLKZ !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego