Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:15 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,033 times

Advertisements

Someone got shot at Greystone Restaurant in the Gaslamp on 4th Ave today arouund 330pm. I listened to it briefly on the news tonight and caught the tail end of it. Anyone got the skinny on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 11:18 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
A transient stole a knife from a restaurant, tried to rob another one, and threatened the employees from it. It'll be on the 11:00 news.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:24 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Here's a link:
Officer fatally shoots robbery suspect in Gaslamp

Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Since it was an officer involved shooting it's nothing really to get excited about.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:31 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
Typical city cops.See this is an ongoing problem.I have a lot of respect for cops around the nation.I try to talk to them when I go on vacation to places,get to know there cities and how they are like.But there are three departments I do not have respect for.Oceanside,NC,and San Diego Police.They might be number one.I had someone in my English class at SWC that had a brother that was shot in the leg by thr City Cops back in 2004.No weapon,no threats,he just came from Brazil and was learning English and taking ESL classes at CV Adult School.Anytime there is an OIS first place on my mind is of course the City Cops.I mean it happens so often.Some justified,some not.I mean back around 2002 they shot a homeless man in the Midway/Pt Loma area because he refused to drop a 5inch stick?Really?Tassers and mase work but SDPD believe the gun works as well.And it does.Sometimes a little too much(leaving people for dead)

My mom works for the courts DTWN and she always has stories from OIS that happened in the City.These don't happen as much in the small cities that have a good number of people.Places like Oceanside,Chula Vista,Escondido.From what I remember my cities' last OIS was back in 2006 or 2007 and the man was belligerent and ran at two officers with a screwdriver.He was shot in killed but to me that is justified.But like I said many City OIS just do not add up.They even shot a dog that was coming at them last year.Your going to use your all mighty police power to shoot a animal?Talk about low and heartless.Not like anyone wants to be bit by a Canine but they can't even take a dog bite;rather kill an animal.If you can't take a dog bight then you probably are not fit to be an officer.

No respect for the City Cops in my book.Sorry.Another reason why I'm glad I live in Chula Vista.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:52 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
SD Cops seems to be a little more gun happy then most other cities police departments because they never have anything to shoot at, since crime is so low.

Do any of you remember a few years back when a homeless guy in PB got shot multiple times by cops and died for holding a stick in his hand? That was over kill, and those officers should have been punishment for there actions.

The ongoing problem with SDPD is they don't think about human life. Even though the man was waving a knife and threaten the officers, they should have used a taser, not blasted him away like they did. Race plays a factor in these cases, plus he was a transient, which worked against him. This is very sad news, the man could have had mental problems, but did the cops think about that? Nope. They shoot and kill first, ask questions later

Old 08-05-2009, 05:46 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
SD Cops seems to be a little more gun happy then most other cities police departments because they never have anything to shoot at, since crime is so low.

Do any of you remember a few years back when a homeless guy in PB got shot multiple times by cops and died for holding a stick in his hand? That was over kill, and those officers should have been punishment for there actions.

The ongoing problem with SDPD is they don't think about human life. Even though the man was waving a knife and threaten the officers, they should have used a taser, not blasted him away like they did. Race plays a factor in these cases, plus he was a transient, which worked against him. This is very sad news, the man could have had mental problems, but did the cops think about that? Nope. They shoot and kill first, ask questions later
That's one downside to San Diego's low crime rate, cops are bored. The most boring job in the world besides a meteorologist in San Diego the SDPD. It is kind of like the San Angeles Police Department in the movie Demolition Man.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:12 PM

114 posts, read 308,765 times
It is really sad about this guy and even more sad that the Police did the crime. But the world is not perfect and the police officer who shot this innocent guy might also suffer from his mistake.
Maybe you are right. Maybe the police shot him because they are "not used to" crime here. It is so safe that they might have forgotten how to handle such a situation without dead people.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:15 PM

70 posts, read 312,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
Typical city cops.See this is an ongoing problem.I have a lot of respect for cops around the nation.I try to talk to them when I go on vacation to places,get to know there cities and how they are like.But there are three departments I do not have respect for.Oceanside,NC,and San Diego Police.They might be number one.I had someone in my English class at SWC that had a brother that was shot in the leg by thr City Cops back in 2004.No weapon,no threats,he just came from Brazil and was learning English and taking ESL classes at CV Adult School.Anytime there is an OIS first place on my mind is of course the City Cops.I mean it happens so often.Some justified,some not.I mean back around 2002 they shot a homeless man in the Midway/Pt Loma area because he refused to drop a 5inch stick?Really?Tassers and mase work but SDPD believe the gun works as well.And it does.Sometimes a little too much(leaving people for dead)

My mom works for the courts DTWN and she always has stories from OIS that happened in the City.These don't happen as much in the small cities that have a good number of people.Places like Oceanside,Chula Vista,Escondido.From what I remember my cities' last OIS was back in 2006 or 2007 and the man was belligerent and ran at two officers with a screwdriver.He was shot in killed but to me that is justified.But like I said many City OIS just do not add up.They even shot a dog that was coming at them last year.Your going to use your all mighty police power to shoot a animal?Talk about low and heartless.Not like anyone wants to be bit by a Canine but they can't even take a dog bite;rather kill an animal.If you can't take a dog bight then you probably are not fit to be an officer.

No respect for the City Cops in my book.Sorry.Another reason why I'm glad I live in Chula Vista.
I've read your posts in the past and have had some good points and opinions. I do have many problems with this post.

Have you ever seen the aftermath of a dog bite. I've seen it. There is no way anyone should be EXPECTED to take a dog bite. Have you had a pit bull charge at you full speed barking, growling? Do you know the bite strength of a pit bull? Do you know they can be trained to attack the neck of a person. A dog is deadly!!

You make comments about pepper spray and taser use. The incident in the Midway district was unfortunate. The department had limited resources then and a lot of changes came from that incident including outfitting more officers with more effective tasers. At that time, only a handful of officer's in the department had tasers that were not equipped to be placed on a duty belt. Today, more than half if not more officers have tasers on their belts.

Tasers and OC spray do work, but not 100% of the time. In certain circumstances they are 0% effective.

The following is directly from the SDPD press release;

"At about 4:26 p.m. uniformed San Diego Police officers located the suspect on the corner of Fourth and E Streets. One officer contacted the suspect and ordered him to stop. The suspect knelt down and took a large knife from a backpack he was carrying. The officer gave repeated commands to the suspect to drop the knife. The suspect refused and instead advanced on the officer in a menacing manner while screaming obscenities with the knife raised. The officer fired his handgun at the suspect. The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene."

After contacting the suspect, he quickly pulled out the knife and advanced on the officer's. A person with a knife can close 21 feet before a gun can be pulled from a holster. This has been tested repeatedly and documented. If someone is advancing within that distance, it would be foolish to use a taser or OC spray on an imminent deadly threat!!!

I have seen many incidents involving my colleagues in the city, "city Cops," who could have shot under state laws and department policy, but instead used incredible restraint and saved the person's life. Sometimes you have that tenth of a second to give the person that they use to change the course of events. The officers in this latest shooting may have given the subject that extra time, but still had to stop the threat.

The incidents that did not result in a shooting, but could have do not make the news. You like to get your information from the news organizations, but remember they have to get viewers and sell papers. They are not there as a service to you. If you want the truth, participate in public meetings. Meet with the PD brass and community resource officers. Go on a ride-a-long and see first hand what an officer does and how quickly they have to make decisions that people will be critiquing from the comfort of their homes for years after.

Last edited by xdrcx; 08-05-2009 at 07:49 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 09:51 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,033 times
I signed up for a ride-along a few days ago and what timing this is. I am going out this coming weekend at 9pm-late morning. Lol. Sounds wild. Downtown SD at the peak of chaos in a police car. Will report my findings/experience to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego