Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:50 PM

76 posts, read 314,886 times

Advertisements

Another cool thing about Olivenhain I just realized is that the kids would go to Pioneer elementary which is literally just a few miles from Olivenhain. That's a BIG plus. Thanks for all the replies. Keep 'em coming if you have any more comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 01:01 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limitup View Post
Another cool thing about Olivenhain I just realized is that the kids would go to Pioneer elementary which is literally just a few miles from Olivenhain. That's a BIG plus. Thanks for all the replies. Keep 'em coming if you have any more comments!
Then La Costa Canyon High, a very good high school.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:03 PM

11 posts, read 58,850 times
That is right....I forgot about Pioneer elementary. From what I hear, it's a great school....it's also pretty new.

Some nice gated communities (but not full blown ones like the Bridges or Fairbanks Ranch) include Double L Ranch, Country Rose, Wild Flower, Windsor Rose and Knights Bridge.

And since I can't post pictures of those places, which is pathetic....but anyway, you're going to have to look those up yourself. All are very nice....my favorite is Double L Ranch because of the views...but they're all great.

I would take a drive around Olivenhain. Take your time and explore the area...it's not that big, so I'm sure you'll get a feel for it pretty quickly.

In addition, you're not too far from El Camino Real, which has every store you can think of. I'm not sure if you're into jogging, but there is a great trail system in Olivenhain and in RSF (which is next door).

You're going to love Olivenhain...I don't know anyone who doesn't! It's a great place to raise a family.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:32 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
Olivenhain is a nice area because you have nice homes, along with really nice homes and you won't run into as much of the Mid-Atlantic English accent in Olivenhain as RSF.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:01 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
With kids I'd pick Olivenhain. This may sound weird, but I think its public school options are actually better than RSF. RSF is gorgeous, but there is something about it that just seems a bit over the top for me. Olivenhain is understated, cheaper (not cheap), has more diversity of incomes (you have the "poor" businessmen/attorneys/doctors mixed in with milloinaires whereas RSF is almost execlusively HUGE HUGE money). Olivenhain has a nice country feel, but is just minutes from the rest of Encinitas. Based upon what I've heard, kids from Olivehnain are treated normal whereas RSF has a connotation that may be a burden for some kids (spoiled, ultra-rich, country club). The homes in RSF are definitely more "consistently" nice, however. If you are considering Poway for more family oriented communities, you should look into Encinitas Ranch and other similar cul-da-sac communities near Olivenhain (although it doesn't sound like that interests you).

Old 03-09-2010, 03:15 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I live in Encinitas and I would 100% pick Olivenhain if you have the money...it's a unique place to live and you won't regret it. Poway would be my last choice, mass suburbia.

I figure, no matter how much money you have, there's always somebody who has more and who has less.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,516 times
I have been looking in the area a lot and have fallen in love with Olivenhain! I am planning to find a place in this area to rent so that I can get a feel for it. My husband and I have 2 kids, ages 5 and 2. As far as I can tell, it seems to be a great place to raise kids. I have heard wonderful things about the schools, particularly OPE (Olivenhain Pioneer Elementary). I honestly haven't looked in to Poway at all because we love being coastal. RSF is beautiful and has great schools but I know what you mean about the "keeping up with the Jones' thing". That would be my concern too but don't know anyone who has actually lived there.

Good luck!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:00 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmah View Post
I have been looking in the area a lot and have fallen in love with Olivenhain! I am planning to find a place in this area to rent so that I can get a feel for it. My husband and I have 2 kids, ages 5 and 2. As far as I can tell, it seems to be a great place to raise kids. I have heard wonderful things about the schools, particularly OPE (Olivenhain Pioneer Elementary). I honestly haven't looked in to Poway at all because we love being coastal. RSF is beautiful and has great schools but I know what you mean about the "keeping up with the Jones' thing". That would be my concern too but don't know anyone who has actually lived there.

Good luck!
Just a note of caution on OPE. Our new neighbors moved from that school to our school because there were first graders with iPhones and iPods and such, basically with a very strong "Keeping up with the Joneses" and materialistic vibe. It's second-hand, but they seem like down to earth people who felt very out of place there so, take it for what it's worth.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:12 PM

34 posts, read 150,553 times
Olivenhain and RSF are essentially the same in terms of climate and proximity to beaches, and they are definitely superior to Poway in this regard. If money is not the primary issue, I would rule out Poway.

With regard to RSF versus Olivenhain:

RSF has slightly better schools (academically) than Olivenhain, but the difference is probably too small to have an impact on your kids. RSF is more prestigious, but some say it has more snobs & posers.

Olivenhain has the following advantages over RSF:

- Probably 20% less expensive for a comparable property
- Easier to find a newer home with a modern floor plan
- Less traffic (at least in the Lone Jack road corridor)
- Kids will mix with more "regular" people

If prestige is not an issue, it probably comes down to the merits of the individual property as opposed to which community.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:21 PM

305 posts, read 654,854 times
You do not need to live in Poway to live in the Poway school district. I would not live in Poway for that reason. Buy in Olivenhain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego