Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:53 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegogolfer View Post
Yes it is true!

She bought it for only 15K and her space rent is only 475!

Amazing but true.

This is in Chula Vista.
For 15K, it's a pretty old one, in one of the not so nice parks and probably in a not so nice area.

Last edited by moved; 09-02-2010 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,273 times
There's always the central jail, it's free, you get 3 meals a day, not much choice in roommates though...I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:34 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,377,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
For 15K, it's a pretty old one, in one of the not so nice parks and probably in a not so nice area.
Why jump to such negative conclusions?

I just had a relative sell a mobile home - a nice one - in a nice park, for about the same amount and with the same space rent. The market for mobile homes is WAY down, and while deals like that weren't possible last year, they're definitely possible right now!

To the original poster, you might want to check into the residency rules before you move here. I have a cousin who just moved back to California to start school this month, and because she was technically not a California resident she's paying non-resident tuition - which is HUGE! And she's under the impression that she won't be considered a resident for three years. I know it used to be just one year, but she's saying that in California it's now three years, thanks to our budget crisis - so you might want to do some research before you completely commit to making the move.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Why jump to such negative conclusions?

I just had a relative sell a mobile home - a nice one - in a nice park, for about the same amount and with the same space rent. The market for mobile homes is WAY down, and while deals like that weren't possible last year, they're definitely possible right now!

To the original poster, you might want to check into the residency rules before you move here. I have a cousin who just moved back to California to start school this month, and because she was technically not a California resident she's paying non-resident tuition - which is HUGE! And she's under the impression that she won't be considered a resident for three years. I know it used to be just one year, but she's saying that in California it's now three years, thanks to our budget crisis - so you might want to do some research before you completely commit to making the move.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
I lived in a 1967 2br/2ba mobile home bought for $16.500, in a not so nice park, and the space rent was $450. This was 10 years ago.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:32 PM

181 posts, read 465,989 times
I have friends who live in a relatively okay size studio Downtown (cute cute building, though it is not new) it is $895 all utilities are included... Dont' know the name but it is close to Park and B.... by that McDonalds... LoL But still it is nice.

I have a 2Br for 1150 in Normal Heights area. It is brand new on the inside, but I was the first to see it and signed a lease on the spot. It was definatley a lucky find.

My first place out here (I have been here approx 1.5 years) was a 1br for 1095. It was also new (stainless steel appliances washer dryer etc) but it was small (bigger than studio for sure) It was in North Park

I would definatley suggest you save ATLEAST 4,000- 5000 a piece, so you are set when you come out and take WHATEVER job you can find. You are 20 years old, so I am sure you could find a job being a Nanny somewhere for cash. Thats what I am, and I love the family I work for... not to mention, my husband and I just had a baby in June and I can take her with me to work BUT I would have worked at McDonalds if I had to, if I wasn't able to find a job. (I've never worked in fast food ever.) Also DO NOT come out blindly.... make sure you have enough aside to come out for a week, find a place to live get familiar with the area and start the job hunt.

I am one of the lucky ones out here, who found work pretty much right away. My husband and I love our life out here, and are happy that we have our new baby to experience it with us. I don't think I will ever move back to MN. LoL... hard to get homesick when family and friends are always visiting

Hope this helps.

Heather

Old 09-16-2010, 11:51 PM

129 posts, read 473,561 times
Default wrong again....

Quote:
yes it is old but it is in very good condition, the park is really nice and clean with a lot of activities and in a decent neighborhood, nearly zero problems.

Sorry you are wrong again.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 AM

13 posts, read 27,301 times
To the original poster, I am moving to San Diego too. Im from CA and will be going to school in San Diego. Check out the community college websites. The ones I have looked at affordable. You do have to wait 1 year for most to pay the lower cost for residents. But after that its only about $90 per class. Also check out some renting websites like forrent.com or rent.com. You can get a 1 bedroom for as low as $700 in San Diego. Nicer and newer apartments can cost a lot, I have seen them at $2000/month. But if you and your friend move out here and start out sharing a place and live in an older apartment building you could do it. People on these relocations sights tend to say negative things. Sometimes they are true and sometimes not so much. Of course its smart to have a job offer lined up before moving. But is it possible to get a job once you are there? Im sure it is. Once you are local you can take the bus or train around everyday applying to different places. My advice is make sure you have enough for the cost of moving which is expensive, hundreds to thousands of dollars. And make sure you have your first months rent and deposit. And it would be best to make sure you also have a second month's rent and utilities lined up in case it takes you two whole months to find work. I would think in 2 months you could find a job. Im not saying you could find a good high paying job. But you could find some low paying job enough to get by until you line up something better. Just go for the cheapest apartment. And remember, a lot of San Diego is greared towards college kids who dont have a lot of money so there is affordable community colleges and studio and 1 bedroom apartments. My husband lived there for a year previously while we went to school and paid $800/month for his place. Dont set up cable or spend any money that you dont need to until you have a good job. And the more money you have saved up the better. But dont let nay sayers talk you out of doing what you really want to do. Just be smart about it. It may be hard but its not impossible. I got my first place at 21 with no money in the bank and just a loan I had taken out that was due back in two weeks with interest. If you really want something and are not lazy about working hard for it then you can make it happen. Others may say you cant do something because they cant do it. But maybe they dont want it as badly as you do or wouldnt work as hard for it as you would. Be willing to work two jobs if needed and you can make it in San Diego. Good luck!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegogolfer View Post
yes it is old but it is in very good condition, the park is really nice and clean with a lot of activities and in a decent neighborhood, nearly zero problems.

Sorry you are wrong again.
Old mobile homes can be in good condition, it's just anything else, depending on how it's taken care of.

Which Chula Vista park is it in? Is it a family park or a senior park. It sounds like it's a family park. I lived in a senior park, and it was nice and quiet, I would never live in a family park - too much noise.

Last edited by moved; 09-17-2010 at 01:17 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 06:23 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I know, but remember when we were young? Nothing has changed
Except, not having enough jobs to go around.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:17 PM

129 posts, read 473,561 times
Quote:
Old mobile homes can be in good condition, it's just anything else, depending on how it's taken care of.

Which Chula Vista park is it in? Is it a family park or a senior park. It sounds like it's a family park. I lived in a senior park, and it was nice and quiet, I would never live in a family park - too much noise.
It is a senior park and extremely quiet. Really a nice place to live as they have a ton of activities and parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego