Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:11 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I am SO tired of freaking neutral colors. There are real colors out there, people....

Like my aqua and pink dining/sewing room.... so restful....
aqua/pink?

how daring.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
You did. ;-)

The parts of Ladera that I'm familiar with would be closer to homes off Sequoayah, Malcom, some of the Oak Knoll area. Although Ladera tends to have the 60's split level vibe. The area I'm thinking of towards BHills and Crenshaw has the older homeowner, transitioning, tucked away feel that parts of this area has. I'm going with my "feeling" when in each area.

Either way, I think the OP will feel fine.
I totally agree. +1

Old 06-25-2010, 10:53 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
=

Do you know one of the major reasons East Oakland is "generally looked down on"? It's almost never because of personal perception - it's because people, yourself included, attribute the worst crimes committed in Oakland and the deepest blight existing in Oakland to every single Oakland neighborhood, which is another egregious fallacy of logic.
That's simply ignoring that in this case, the perception is backed by truth.

East Oakland is not looked down upon because of "invented" perception. That's simply not the case. As they say, all of it has a kernel of truth.
East Oakland, Crime Timeline, 21st Century

Statically, East Oakland has been one of the most violent areas per capita in the country. It was also the site of the Bay Area's worst single day of violence against law enforcement, and also holds the record for the most people murdered in a single weekend. Nob Hill isn't even in the equation. East Oakland is simply a bad area within a city that is already considered horrible by most standards.

One fallacy you're making that is possibly leading to your confusion on this issue is that you aren't comparing the TYPES of crimes that are being committed. The area around Nob Hill has lots of petty crime (theft, prostitution, possession), but East Oakland has much more VIOLENT crime (murder, shootings, gang related activity).

Nob Hill is absolutely nicer than East Oakland. Median income, the type of people who live in Nob Hill are wildely successful white collars so the environment of Nob Hill caters to that, and it shows. The average person in East Oakland makes $35,000 a year, and unfortunately, that also shows.

It's not a fair comparison I know, but it's one that you're making. The Newport comparison is fair because like Nob Hill, it's an area that is home to numerous multi-million dollar mansions, and very well known rich families. None of that is applicable to East Oakland.

Last edited by Mr. Fantastic; 06-25-2010 at 11:01 AM..

Old 06-25-2010, 11:20 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Get a life. We get that you don't like Oakland. Other people do. Log off and do something better with your time. Jeez

Old 06-25-2010, 11:33 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
aqua/pink?

how daring.
The kitchen is dark royal purple. Living room deep steel blue and ice gray. Bedroom is odd shade of white that looks pink next to the deep claret red woodwork and the back bedroom? White with dark purple, light purple and teal woodwork...

Yep -- the whole house looks like a circus....

Old 06-25-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Get a life. We get that you don't like Oakland.
I'm not the only one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Dobbins
Are you smoking crack? Wait, I guess that’s an unfair question for someone who lives in Oakland, heh.

Oakland is an end-to-end slum – I know, I’ve been there. All your reasons listed above, besides being both tenuous and trite, are just rationalizations, pure and simple.

Oakland sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
I’ve been to Oakland – I lived in Emeryville worked in downtown Oakland – and walked everywhere – mistake. Oakland is scary, period. I’ve been to a lot of rough places all over the U.S. and overseas, and Oakland is by far the worst I’ve seen yet. I think I was very lucky not to get jumped, and if I didn’t walk from a couple of situations I’m sure I’d have an ongoing feud with some folks in Oakland right now – and some mending bones. I love the idea of Oakland (more open, less expensive, Black Panthers!, etc.), but that mess is just not safe – not even close. Emeryville, downtown, Ashby. I mean, all the white people lock themselves inside their condos-as-compounds – driving everywhere, and I can’t say I blame them – they wouldn’t be safe, otherwise.

We’ve got serious problems over there – serious. I have no idea how to solve them. These problems are massive – on multiple levels, and it may take generations to solve once we actually have a plan for how to get it right. So, for now, or until I’m really broke, Oakland will have to wait before this white boy heads back over the bridge.

All that said, of course it’s possible to get jumped/robbed/beaten/raped/murdered in SF, but in Oakland I suspect it’s more likely. One of my co-workers go his ass kicked and robbed in broad daylight on broad street. Heard a story about some girl – which I admit I never checked the truthfulness of the report – who got gang-raped in a bathroom at a local fast food restaurant right in downtown. Thugs hangin out on the corners harrassin anyone and everyone in sight – just beggin for a fight. Oakland is jacked up – bigtime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet
Crack kills. My mother was born in Oakland. My grandfather worked in the Oakland steelyards. My father, and his father were born in San Francisco.

I got ejected from SF during the dot com bull**** and got stuck in Oakland for 2 long awful years. I tried to like it, but ended up in SF every day and night. All the east bay areans being so vehemently pro-Oakland and anti-SF have made me dislike Alameda County even more.

So, on record: Oakland sucks, and San Francisco rules. I will visit my friends in Oakland when we pave the bay. In the meantime I hope someone starts Metroblogging: Oakland so I don’t have to visit Oakland on the web, either.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The kitchen is dark royal purple. Living room deep steel blue and ice gray. Bedroom is odd shade of white that looks pink next to the deep claret red woodwork and the back bedroom? White with dark purple, light purple and teal woodwork...

Yep -- the whole house looks like a circus....
Well go 'head.

Sounds lovely.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:16 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
That's simply ignoring that in this case, the perception is backed by truth.

East Oakland is not looked down upon because of "invented" perception. That's simply not the case. As they say, all of it has a kernel of truth.
East Oakland, Crime Timeline, 21st Century

Statically, East Oakland has been one of the most violent areas per capita in the country. It was also the site of the Bay Area's worst single day of violence against law enforcement, and also holds the record for the most people murdered in a single weekend. Nob Hill isn't even in the equation. East Oakland is simply a bad area within a city that is already considered horrible by most standards.

One fallacy you're making that is possibly leading to your confusion on this issue is that you aren't comparing the TYPES of crimes that are being committed. The area around Nob Hill has lots of petty crime (theft, prostitution, possession), but East Oakland has much more VIOLENT crime (murder, shootings, gang related activity).

Nob Hill is absolutely nicer than East Oakland. Median income, the type of people who live in Nob Hill are wildely successful white collars so the environment of Nob Hill caters to that, and it shows. The average person in East Oakland makes $35,000 a year, and unfortunately, that also shows.

It's not a fair comparison I know, but it's one that you're making. The Newport comparison is fair because like Nob Hill, it's an area that is home to numerous multi-million dollar mansions, and very well known rich families. None of that is applicable to East Oakland.
This is circular, tiresome reasoning, and it would take the same amount of time to list all of the fallacies you employ as to address (again) the points you've made (again) that have zero bearing on the topic at hand. I did not commit a fallacy, as I compared violent crime to violent crime for Nob Hill & the area of Oakland in question.

In your book, the presence of "multimillion dollar mansions, white collar workers, and well known rich families" makes a good place to live. For people who might be attracted to 55th & Brookdale neighborhood, a good place to live is probably something affordable for the middle class, has a good sense of community and neighborliness, and is a place where they can be surrounded by like-minded people, not to mention it's in easy commuting distance of a lot of places where middle class families work. Often, the only thing keeping people from living somewhere like Brookdale & 55th is people like you, who freak out every time someone mentions moving to Oakland, calls it a dump, and hints that there are dangerous, black criminals around every corner waiting to prey on them.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
something affordable for the middle class, has a good sense of community and neighborliness, and is a place where they can be surrounded by like-minded people,
These are all opinion, and simply wrong on many levels. This is why your argument doesn't make much sense, East Oakland is none of the things you just listed.

You simply cannot give an unbiased opinion about the area, or one that is honest. East Oakland is full of violent crime, and you're trying to compare it to Nob Hill. It's almost comical.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:53 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
These are all opinion, and simply wrong on many levels. This is why your argument doesn't make much sense, East Oakland is none of the things you just listed.

You simply cannot give an unbiased opinion about the area, or one that is honest. East Oakland is full of violent crime, and you're trying to compare it to Nob Hill. It's almost comical.
I didn't try to compare it to Nob Hill, I did compare it to Nob Hill, via crime statistics:

Within a .2 mile radius of the center of Nob Hill, there were 3 violent crimes.
Within a .25 mile radius of Brookdale & 55th, there were 6 violent crimes.

Within a .5 mile radius of the center of Nob Hill, there were 29 violent crimes.
Within a .5 mile radius of Brookdale & 55th, there were 27 violent crimes.

My opinion is wrong? According to whom? Yourself? Have you been to the neighborhood in question? Talked to residents? That it is affordable for middle-class people is most definitely true, given the housing prices in the area. That it is neighborly is conditionally true, according to 18Montclair's personal experience with the neighborhood and the folks who live in it, and lacking sufficient evidence otherwise, this opinion seems as good as any and better than most. That people are like-minded is something that could possibly be ascertained by talking to them beforehand, say by eliciting a comment string on an internet forum about moving to new cities where your future neighbors currently live. These are just examples, though - there are myriad other reasons that might compel someone to live in Oakland, reasons you can't, or won't, understand.

I wouldn't suggest moving somewhere just because it's cheap, or just because it's in Oakland - I think there are some extremely dangerous parts of Oakland that people should avoid living in. However, this neighborhood isn't one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland