Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:22 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times

Advertisements

I know what Potrero Hill is, but I've been struggling to come to terms with what Dogpatch is all about. What's there? Who lives there? Why is a two-bedroom condo close to a million dollars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 11:02 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
I've only begun to recently hang out there because a friend moved in.

Because it was mostly untouched by the 1906 earthquake, it has the oldest Victorians in SF.

On Saturday mornings (it might only be on Saturday a month, I'm not sure), volunteers give guided walking tours through the Dogpatch - I went on one a few months ago - really nice people.

A lot of artists, a biker bar, and zero tourists.

I didn't know the rents were so high, though? I assumed the high population of artists and its relative proximity to HP/Bayview indicated that there were cheaper rents to be had - not real sure.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:01 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
There's not a whole lot there. A few restaurants, a convenience store or two, and the Dogpatch Saloon which is a funky little neighborhood place that has pretty good live jazz on Sundays. I wouldn't want to live there unless I absolutely had to be close to Caltrain, it is very near the 22nd street station.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:38 AM

27 posts, read 65,624 times
Bringing this up to get an updated view 1 year later as we look for neighborhoods to live in. Any more developments or still the same?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:50 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Dogpatch is/was in NW AR. Moast of you are too young to remember L'l Abner.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:47 AM

330 posts, read 749,765 times
Nice little write-up on the latest going on in the Dogpatch in this blog:

3rd Base - The Bold Italic - San Francisco

Old 08-10-2011, 05:05 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
You know the old saying: Location, location, location.

Let's examine Dogpatch geographically shall we?:

1. Right next to Mission Bay
2. Not too far from the Financial District
3. Minutes from the ballpark
4. Next to the bay
5. Not far from the Mission District and SOMA

Dogpatch itself is pretty dead and industrial but boy, is it close to many places that you want to go.

Next, let's examine the transportation:

1. Third St rail
2. Caltrain runs thru it
3. 280 is right there

Basically, Dogpatch is not a bad starting point if you have to travel north/south via car/rail/train. It may not be such a convenient location if you take buses.

Finally, I suspect a lot of UCSF folks are driving up Dogpatch prices. I know a young doctor who lives there. Think about it, not only can he walk to work, a place in Dogpatch is still cheaper than a comparable in Mission Bay or South Beach. I can see Dogpatch really be on the map if their waterfront development goes well, but that probably won't happen for another ten years.

I don't think Dogpatch is for everyone, but if I were to work in Mission Bay, I'd seriously consider living there.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:25 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
It's close enough to the Bayview to be less expensive and yet the normal trouble making subcultures don't really hang out there. Second the comments about excellent old buildings. The demographic emerging is overflow from Potrero, a bit yup but not too much. I'm going there more and more.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:32 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Dogpatch has a large construction site to the north, the notorious Potrero hill projects to the west, the violent neighhborhood of Hunter's point to the south and large swaths of abandoned industrial wasteland along the bay in the east- The neighborhood is a mix of warehouses, loft style condos and few victorians. The streets are pretty empty day and night.. In terms of crime it is the car break-in capital of SF, gets some robberies and occasional shootings. It is very sketchy and abandoned looking.

That said, the hood has its charms.. few cool restaurants! It also has some of the more tolerable weather by SF standards. It has gotten pretty expensive lately with all the yuppies moving in.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:15 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Com'on andyadhi01, you make Dogpatch sounds like a ghetto. Maybe twenty years ago, but things have changed a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland