Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 08:10 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Mommy why can't I have a Happy Meal?

Because the government said no, honey.

Is government the boss of me?

Only in San Francisco, dear.
You don't like laws?
Then NEVER EVER Visit Utah because they don't sell REAL beer nor do they sell booze on Sunday.

Oh wait, the Government is in EVERY STATE AND CITY IN THIS COUNTRY. It mandates When and Where you can buy liquor/Beer/Wine.

In California it is 2am every night - CLOSING TIME.

HOW DARE THE GOVERNMENT TELL ME WHEN I CAN BUY LIQUOR!
MAYBE I WANT TO BUY SOME 3am AFTER THE BAR CLOSES. TOO BAD.

This happy meal ban is no worse than any other mandate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 08:15 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
It's just a matter of including a toy as a prize for buying the food. Nobody is telling you what you can or can't eat. Buy the food if if want, then go to Toys R Us if you really need something. Nobody is banning the burger people.

I think the only people who really care about the toys are the collectors anyway, all the ones my kids got ended up in landfill....which is an entirely different issue.

Quote:
Why should they do that? Why can't the consumer choose what is available instead of the government?

Some places, believe it or not, don't like the big chains and strive to keep independent places in operation and preserve the atmosphere. Horrible, I know.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:30 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,989 times
The power of advertising on small children, and the ability of kids to direct the buying habits of families through sheer pigheaded stubborn temper tantrums, are well documented.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:06 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
The power of advertising on small children, and the ability of kids to direct the buying habits of families through sheer pigheaded stubborn temper tantrums, are well documented.
I agree with that; that's why I do support bans or limits on fast food advertisements marketed towards kids. This law isn't about advertising, though, it's about what happens once the parents and the kids have already stepped foot through the doors.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:28 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,531 times
I wonder how they are going to enforce this. What are the penalties for including a toy with a fast food meal? Jail? Undercover cops sniffing out Happy Meal offenders? Nice... our CA jails are bursting at the seams already. I guess that's why we elected moonbeam - to extort taxes for this kind of idiocy. Didn't the stupidvisors also want to ban Coca-Cola, other soft drinks, and salty foods at one point? (I heard they still want to) I predict a lucrative black market in those goods - folks smuggling banned 'incorrect' goods into SF for a price. A fair hustle.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:57 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,191 times
What if MCD simply offers to sell you the toy in the Happy Meal for say a nickle.

Mom in car: I'll have a cheeseburger happy meal with fries and milk

Drive up clerk:would you like to add a .5 cent toy to your happy meal?

Kid in car: YES yes yes yes yes yes yes !!!!

Mom in car: yea of course

Drive up clerk: please pull around to the 1st window.

No free toy no problem.

bill

Old 11-06-2010, 08:25 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
This happy meal ban is no worse than any other mandate.
And just how many more "no worse than any other mandate" issues and restrictions to your freedoms are you willing to "sheepishly" accept in your life?

Of course, the upside is that with government doing your thinking and self-control for you, you don't really have to be responsible for yourself. What a relief! Even better, you have children. Government's going to take of raising them for you as well.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:34 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And just how many more "no worse than any other mandate" issues and restrictions to your freedoms are you willing to "sheepishly" accept in your life?

Of course, the upside is that with government doing your thinking and self-control for you, you don't really have to be responsible for yourself. What a relief! Even better, you have children. Government's going to take of raising them for you as well.
NONE Of you answered the question of
HOW MANY OF YOU POSTERS HAVE CHILDREN UNDER 10 YRS OLD WHO WANT A HAPPY MEAL?

No one answered, so I guess the count is 1 so far, ME.

A question for those who are truly upset that they cannot buy their imaginary children a happy meal in SF that doesn't involve apples.

ARE you all so unintelligent that you cannot order the #6, or whatever it is, that sells 6 chicken nuggets, FRIES, and a drink for your kid?
If you really want to get a fat kid you can get around this dilemma pretty easily.

This is just another BASH SF thread for being PRO ACTIVE.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:05 PM

291 posts, read 957,907 times
I have small children and think this ban is awesome!!!

YAY for getting McDonald's to stop serving crap to children AND giving them a toy in the process. They can continue to advertise to children and build expensive playgrounds that children can see from miles away. But they can't lure them in just to get a toy with a happy meal unless that meal has some type of nutrition value. What's wrong with offering children something good to eat? Why do we have to live with this institution that has created a false idea that you can actually nourish yourself with their food?

It's fine to like McDonald's, it's fine to think they have good prices, it's fine to think they are convenient, but please DON'T PRETEND McDonald's serves actual food. They sell something that looks like food and might taste like food but it is not food at all. You can't possibly nourish yourself with a meal at McDonald's.

Did you know they add chlorine and ammonia to the hamburger meat? They need to do that so you don't died from eating their bacteria infested hamburger. This is done because the cows live in feces the entire time they are in confinement. When they take the cows out to the slaughter house their bodies are covered in feces so they have to clean it up somehow...and you get a nice juicy chlorine plus ammonia burger. YUMMY!

Did you know that McDonald's food refuses to decompose? Probably because it has been preserved with so many chemicals. Just google it and you'll see how many hits you get about it.

The bottom line is: Do we really want to make things easy for McDonald's to sell this stuff to children? Do we want to help them promote this? The answer is NO. The only thing we are asking here is to not include a stupid toy with their awful kids meal! McDonald's has many choices here and one choice is to improve (GASP!) the quality of the food being served to children so they could sell it with a toy.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:52 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
Most people don't know what is good for them. The Chicago syndicate knew Pabst Beer was the only beer fit for consumption in Chicago taverns in the 50s and 60s. .
That is a crock. People know what is good for them and still make choices. Who doesn't know it is bad to smoke? Still it is not illegal to smoke so people make a choice. Who doesn't know that it is bad to live on fatty foods? And yet people still make a choice to live as they want to. People that are obese are in pain and still choose to put the fork in their mouth. No one should tell anyone else what to eat and drinik. Once the dangers are explined then let them do what they want. We are not talking about some gangsters forcing a brand on us as they did in Chicago. We are talking about the right to choose for ourselves how we want to live. All we can do is teach people on the dangers of over consumption, over drinking, smoking, or taking illegal drugs. After that it is up to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland