Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:11 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,252,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
But surely you know that you most of these are bigger than Oakland, yes? The murder rate is much more useful than the total # especially when the cities are different size. For a city as small as Oakland that has this many murders, it makes one of top 10 murder rates in the nation, along with Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore and New Orleans. The last four which don't get talked about much here -- not because people think these are safe havens compared to Oakland, but simply because this is the California board, not the Michigan, Missouri, Maryland, or Louisiana boards.
Stephen doesn't understand basic statistics. Murder rate is the analytic used to determine how common murder is in a city. Oakland for the past 20 years has been in the Top 10 (a statistic I found eye opening even considering the reputation Oakland has).

As for Oakland being the worst city in the Bay Area, that's not too far a stretch. The city has one of the worst school systems in the state, high unemployment, extremely high crime, and a huge budget deficit. For people who live in Oakland, they might have gotten used to living with less, but I wouldn't recommend any clients move to Oakland, even the separated hills communities.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:15 PM

312 posts, read 502,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Stephen doesn't understand basic statistics. Murder rate is the analytic used to determine how common murder is in a city. Oakland for the past 20 years has been in the Top 10 (a statistic I found eye opening even considering the reputation Oakland has).

As for Oakland being the worst city in the Bay Area, that's not too far a stretch. The city has one of the worst school systems in the state, high unemployment, extremely high crime, and a huge budget deficit. For people who live in Oakland, they might have gotten used to living with less, but I wouldn't recommend any clients move to Oakland, even the separated hills communities.
Fellow Psych ward friends are not "clients".

Old 11-17-2010, 12:15 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:

How unoriginally and revoltingly predictable!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
How unoriginally and revoltingly predictable!
You're telling me, there are actual people who have lived in Oakland for the past 20 years!

I would've moved out by year 2.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
You're telling me, there are actual people who have lived in Oakland for the past 20 years!

I would've moved out by year 2.
Don't act obtuse. I was referring to you and you know it.

I had cousins a couple of time removed, now dead from that natural cause called old age, who lived in Oakland Hills. Their home was lovely and the neighborhood delightful.

Oakland is far more than gang-bangers and riots! It's governance sucks but there is still a lot to recommend it.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I had cousins a couple of time removed, now dead from that natural cause called old age, who lived in Oakland Hills. Their home was lovely and the neighborhood delightful.

Oakland is far more than gang-bangers and riots! It's governance sucks but there is still a lot to recommend it.
Isolated light usually doesn't illuminate over bearing darkness.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:26 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Quote:
Don't act obtuse. I was referring to you and you know it.

+1

Old 11-17-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
You're absolutely right because "overbearing" is all one word which any Piled h.igher and Deeper should know!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:33 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Oakland is funky and urban but please don't let that sway you from trashing Oakland on the internet. Places like parts of San Jose are boring endless suburban sprawl, bleah.
Boring endless suburban sprawl--where the garbage gets picked up, the parks are clean and safe, and my fences are not vandalized, and my home is not invaded, and I am not mugged. How awful.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:35 PM

312 posts, read 502,142 times
Quote:
I.E. Your brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland