Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:51 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygrrEyzz View Post
And I wouldn't want to live in the suburbs.... That would sort of ruin the whole point of me packing up my life. I want to be in SF... I do not have high expectations for living conditions.
I wouldn't write off living in the suburbs completely. It's not a total souless, cultural wasteland that some people think. The suburbs have somewhat lower rentals than SF and the weather is warmer (less wind and fog). There are commuter trains and so you can be in SF in 30 - 45 minutes.

You will want to keep your car for exploring the area. In the suburbs, you can park most anywhere for free while parking in SF can be horrible and/or expensive.

I get it, you lived in SF for 4 months and it was something new and different for you, but the novelty might wear off after a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 05:36 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygrrEyzz View Post
Okay I am really getting a picture of what it is I'd have to do to make it in the city. I am a CMA (Certified Medication Aide) Which is basically one step higher than a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) and here in DSM it pays 13-16 and hour. It's a fine job for DSM but I know my money wouldn't get me nearly as far in SF. So roommates you say? Could I do it with one or are you guys talking several? I suppose I could put a bunch of my things in storage here and get a small room somewhere. And I wouldn't want to live in the suburbs.... That would sort of ruin the whole point of me packing up my life. I want to be in SF... I do not have high expectations for living conditions. I mean, I like to have some space to myself and to live in a nice clean and safe place but I don't need anything upscale or fancy by any means. Do you think two people would be able to do it? (Such as my boyfriend and I?) And what if I really really want to keep my car? I wouldn't need it in the city but I am in love with the coastline and surrounding national parks and beauty... I would really want my car around for when I want to take small daytrips. What would you suggest? Is parking horrendous? I'd take the bus to work but would want the car for the other times... what do you guys think? Thank you.
Really depends on whether both of you get jobs and how much you are making. Also it depends on WHERE you're working, the Bay Area is big and jobs are spread all over the place.

Rental prices keep going up in the Bay Area so frankly unless you both get jobs making about $20 an hour you might be priced out of SF. You can get a small room living with roommates for like $600-700 a month somewhere like the Outer Sunset which is a pretty boring area and far from where the jobs are...but it is in San Francisco if that is all you care about. Or you could pay more like $800 to $1000 and live with roommates somewhere more central and happening like Hayes Valley or Noe Valley. A 1br in a nice part of SF is like $1800 these days, for 2 people that is $900 each, so you'll want to be making about $19-22 an hour each. If that is too much for you, you might see slightly cheaper prices in the Richmond District and Sunset District but not by a lot, and they are very foggy and gray parts of town. If $1800 is too much then check out Oakland, you can get a 1br for about $1100 in nice areas, or downtown Walnut Creek. If you can both get normal office jobs then everything else will fall into place. And yes it's very hard to park in msot of SF, Oakland is way easier to park in.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:31 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,283 times
If you choose to go the roommate-in-San-Francisco route and find a place you might move into, TygrrEyzz, I suggest posting here first to ask forum visitors about the neighborhood. You're on a budget, and are thus likely to be looking at share rentals in some parts of the city that could offer a rude surprise to a newcomer from Des Moines.

I also suggest researching the do's and don'ts of moving in with roommates. It's one thing to share a place with just your boyfriend, but something else entirely to move in with folks you don't know. In a matter of days, those new roommates will be transformed from absolute strangers to some of the most important folks in your life in S.F.

Good luck, and please proceed carefully.

I have no personal experience with them, but services like ZipCar and Relay Rides provide short term access to a car. This will let you get you to the coast without shelling out for personal wheels here.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:07 AM

506 posts, read 1,154,784 times
Parking is, indeed, horrendous. Sign up for ZipCar for the occasional out of town trip. Much easier, much cheaper.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:31 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Vagabond View Post
I also suggest researching the do's and don'ts of moving in with roommates. It's one thing to share a place with just your boyfriend, but something else entirely to move in with folks you don't know. In a matter of days, those new roommates will be transformed from absolute strangers to some of the most important folks in your life in S.F.
When considering moving in with roomies, one needs to employ an adequate vetting system to figure out who these people are that you intend to live with. Fire a few emails back and forth, talk on the phone, and meet them in person before deciding. [If you really want to know what to expect, knock a few back with 'em...then you'll know what you're getting into] Once you find somebody you're comfortable with, it makes for a much more affordable and (usually) enjoyable living experience. Safer, too. Big difference between paying upwards of $2000/mo and $600/mo for a room. Pretty essential for most who insist on living in the City.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:50 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Rental prices keep going up in the Bay Area so frankly unless you both get jobs making about $20 an hour you might be priced out of SF. You can get a small room living with roommates for like $600-700 a month somewhere like the Outer Sunset which is a pretty boring area and far from where the jobs are...but it is in San Francisco if that is all you care about.
This is correct; but do keep in mind that if you want to keep your car, it's easier to find parking in these boring, further away areas.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Yep, it is super easy to park out by the beach. Plus it's really quiet which is a nice change from the rest of SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland