Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:12 PM

219 posts, read 624,001 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. This will be my first time posting on this forum. I love San Francisco. I've spent about 4 months there and loved every minute of it. I feel as though it is my dream city. I'd love nothing more than to be able to move there and live comfortably, and though I do not need much, I have the sinking feeling that I wouldn't be able to based on the amount of money that I make. I am a CMA and here in Des Moines that brings in about 14 an hour. Even if I did manage to make 16 in SF that would not make up for the other expenses, mainly speaking- rent seems to be the worst. How does someone like me make it in SF? By someone like me I mean someone who does not make much money? I realize I'd have to make sacrifices but what that the average person do? Any thoughts on this matter I would really appreciate. Thank you. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Roommates are your friends!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:33 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
You're an accountant? If you get a decent job you should be able to live well, accountants in SF can make good money. SF is expensive but if you live with roommates and don't have a car and don't have huge student loans, you can live well on a small salary, plenty of people do it. Or you could live somewhere like Walnut Creek or Oakland where the rent is cheaper.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:43 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
is CMA a Certified Medical Assistant? working in a doctors office taking blood pressure and doing clerical work?

Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 PM

180 posts, read 211,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygrrEyzz View Post
Hi everyone. This will be my first time posting on this forum. I love San Francisco. I've spent about 4 months there and loved every minute of it. I feel as though it is my dream city. I'd love nothing more than to be able to move there and live comfortably, and though I do not need much, I have the sinking feeling that I wouldn't be able to based on the amount of money that I make. I am a CMA and here in Des Moines that brings in about 14 an hour. Even if I did manage to make 16 in SF that would not make up for the other expenses, mainly speaking- rent seems to be the worst. How does someone like me make it in SF? By someone like me I mean someone who does not make much money? I realize I'd have to make sacrifices but what that the average person do? Any thoughts on this matter I would really appreciate. Thank you. :-)
You can rent a nice room in a good neighborhood for $1000, there are options around $600 though too, still decent. Go to Craigslist and clicked shared housing. It's very common in SF with young professionals. Sell your car and buy a MUNI pass.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
I think meant to say CNA which I think means Certified Nursing Assistant.

If she were a CMA, Certified Management Accountant, she ought to be making a lot more than that, and could probably afford to live in SF. I don't understand why people can't accept living in the Bay Area and MUST live in "the City," unless she plans to do without a car.

I know a Wisconsinite who HAD to live in SF and lived on Telegraph Hill, in a shared housing situation. After a couple of years, he called it quits because the low QOL got to him. Hey, I know how it is. When a certain part of the country "calls," most people will do what they can to get there. They may stay. They may not.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:25 AM

330 posts, read 749,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I think meant to say CNA which I think means Certified Nursing Assistant.

If she were a CMA, Certified Management Accountant, she ought to be making a lot more than that, and could probably afford to live in SF. I don't understand why people can't accept living in the Bay Area and MUST live in "the City," unless she plans to do without a car.

I know a Wisconsinite who HAD to live in SF and lived on Telegraph Hill, in a shared housing situation. After a couple of years, he called it quits because the low QOL got to him. Hey, I know how it is. When a certain part of the country "calls," most people will do what they can to get there. They may stay. They may not.
It's not that hard to understand. If you decide to spend the money to go to a nice steakhouse, do you order the filet mignon, or settle for the fish and just enjoy being in the area? What I can't understand is why anyone would want to pick up their life, cross the country because they are attracted to San Francisco, then settle for living in the suburbs.

I wonder what your Wisconsinite friend would say if you asked if he regretted living on Telegraph Hill for a couple years - despite cramped living quarters. I'm guessing he'd say no - I know it's easy to take SF for granted, but when you step back and consider it, living in a place like that is an experience that a very low percentage of Americans would ever have the opportunity to enjoy in their lives - waking up every morning to views of the bay, the skyline, the Golden Gate and/or the Bay Bridge.

I've met plenty of people making less than $40k. Just ditch the car, get a MUNI pass, and find some roommates on craigslist. You can still find rooms in good neighborhoods for less than $1k per month.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:33 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygrrEyzz View Post
Like others have said..."roommates"! You can absolutely do it if you share a house or flat and don't have high expectations for living a life of luxury.

The main problem that arises for people here is when they love the City so much, that they want to stay; buy a house or car, or live on their own, have kids, bring the girlfriend/wife to a nice restaurant once a week, want a yard for their dog, etc.

It's a great city for young people that don't need or expect a lot, but not always a great city for people that want to settle down and stay....that's when the making lots of money part comes in...

Old 03-23-2012, 11:58 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Most people don't staying in San Francisco, it's a city largely populated by transients who might stay a year or five and then move on. Roommates and ditch the car. Once you do that, it's really not any more expensive than anyplace else. How much does an apartment in Des Moines go for? $600-800 a month? You can rent a room in house for that, plus you save some one utilities with the mild climate and splitting the bill. A Muni pass is $62-$72 a month, which is cheaper than a car. Everything else is more, but you're partly off-setting that with savings in housing and transportation. The harder part is it's extremely affluent. How you handle being on a shoe string budget when most people are making two or three or more times as much money is really what determines whether you make it, imo.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:55 PM

219 posts, read 624,001 times
Okay I am really getting a picture of what it is I'd have to do to make it in the city. I am a CMA (Certified Medication Aide) Which is basically one step higher than a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) and here in DSM it pays 13-16 and hour. It's a fine job for DSM but I know my money wouldn't get me nearly as far in SF. So roommates you say? Could I do it with one or are you guys talking several? I suppose I could put a bunch of my things in storage here and get a small room somewhere. And I wouldn't want to live in the suburbs.... That would sort of ruin the whole point of me packing up my life. I want to be in SF... I do not have high expectations for living conditions. I mean, I like to have some space to myself and to live in a nice clean and safe place but I don't need anything upscale or fancy by any means. Do you think two people would be able to do it? (Such as my boyfriend and I?) And what if I really really want to keep my car? I wouldn't need it in the city but I am in love with the coastline and surrounding national parks and beauty... I would really want my car around for when I want to take small daytrips. What would you suggest? Is parking horrendous? I'd take the bus to work but would want the car for the other times... what do you guys think? Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland