Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 PM

629 posts, read 619,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmilton View Post
Oh wow, I was not aware that they are being forced to do it. If this is the case, I am against it.
You honestly thought this was voluntary...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 05:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmilton View Post
Oh wow, I was not aware that they are being forced to do it. If this is the case, I am against it.
I don't think anyone would make a big deal if a store implemented a charge for bags, courtesy clerks, etc.

The entire controversy as I see it is both patrons and business have their hands tied by this edict...

Old 11-12-2012, 10:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
It is coming to Alameda county in January. It has been the case in San Jose for a year now. The price will go up the 25 cents in SJ next year I believe. So I guess people are going to have to go shopping in Contra Costa County to avoid it.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is coming to Alameda county in January. It has been the case in San Jose for a year now. The price will go up the 25 cents in SJ next year I believe. So I guess people are going to have to go shopping in Contra Costa County to avoid it.
You make a very significant point.

Much of what we hear is it is "Only" 10 cents... In the scheme of things, not a big deal.

The bigger picture is this is "Only" the beginning... 10 cents for a bag is just the start...

Anyone old enough to remember pay toilets? There was enough of a backlash from voters to put a stop to it.

I could see someone going with a shopping cart full with a weeks groceries through check-out and then refuse to the bag charge... 50 cents vs looses a $200 sale?

Everyone knows people that will change gas stations for a penny a gallon... how can anyone think people are not price sensitive?

Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,683 times
Well, yes... but. This is San Francisco. Where people pay $1mil+ for a mediocre house or $3k/month for a so-so 1BR.

Personally, after my walk yesterday I'm ready to ban all disposable plastic. Make it biodegradable or make it worth keeping. People drop their trash around way too much.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
Well, yes... but. This is San Francisco. Where people pay $1mil+ for a mediocre house or $3k/month for a so-so 1BR.

Personally, after my walk yesterday I'm ready to ban all disposable plastic. Make it biodegradable or make it worth keeping. People drop their trash around way too much.
No lie about people dropping trash.. some are downright pigs.

This morning on the way to work traffic on the freeway was stop and go... the car ahead of me tosses out a starbuck's from the driver's window...

Car was newer... maybe two years old

I don't care who you are... there should be a special place reserved for those that deliberately and wantonly trash our home.

A few years ago, I was on an Alameda County Sheriff ride along... the deputy said he has zero tolerance for littering... I was glad to hear it.

When you get right down to it... there is no excuse

Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I don't care who you are... there should be a special place reserved for those that deliberately and wantonly trash our home.
There is. It's called America.

We do stuff because we can, not because it's the best, well thought-out choice.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:50 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
No lie about people dropping trash.. some are downright pigs.

This morning on the way to work traffic on the freeway was stop and go... the car ahead of me tosses out a starbuck's from the driver's window...

Car was newer... maybe two years old

A few years ago, I was on an Alameda County Sheriff ride along... the deputy said he has zero tolerance for littering... I was glad to hear it.

When you get right down to it... there is no excuse
Today I saw some fool throw a bag of leftovers down into the BART station. I was thinking, WTF? He was standing right near a trashcan no more than 10 feet away.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:04 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
I don't really like this law. At first I thought it was just for grocery stores which I could reluctantly accept but it appears to be for everything. I went shopping Sunday in the City and was surprised departments stores have to charge you for this too. So basically now people are suppose to carry around a bag if they want to buy something anywhere?

This is what they mean by slippery slope and it's starting to go too far imo.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:44 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Europeans have been carrying their own bags for years. You can buy reusable bags these days that are lightweight, can be folded up to almost nothing, and easily fit in a pocket or purse. I actually think shopping is better this way because I don't end up with a stack of paper and plastic bags that I have to either recycle, store or add to the landfill. One holiday season years ago I did all my shopping without needing to take one single store bag, and it simplified my life immensely not to have to deal with all the clutter when I got home.

In addition to the pocket or purse sized reusable bags, I keep a stash of various sized department store bags that I've saved over the years in the trunk of my car. I carry a large one into the store with me if I think I might be buying a bulky item. If I don't buy anything, no big deal. I toss the bag back into the trunk and use it the next time.

Now that the law has changed, my husband has finally stopped bugging me. He used to freak out because he thought I looked like a shoplifter walking into the store with an empty bag. Once I even got stopped by a grocery store security guard because I was walking through the store putting groceries directly into my own bag instead of using a shopping cart. (I don't do that any more.)

It may take a little bit of attitude adjustment to learn to do things differently, but I think the Europeans had the right idea all along. There's a learning curve to be sure, but maybe people will stop griping once they get used to bringing reusable bags and start to realize that it's not that big a deal and even has advantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland