Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:36 PM

6,418 posts, read 8,293,436 times

Advertisements

it will cost $0 since it's not going to happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:47 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,557,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
im wondering what the insane cost will be to rename the airport
another waste of money because some overpaid activist politician wants to be reelected
According to the estimates given out it would cost the airport about $355k, and Caltrans $720k to rename the airport, so about $1M, the proposal involves having private individuals raise the money to rename the airport. I'm not sure why this is so controversial here, other major cities have their airports named after somebody, though most of the time you wouldn't know, Like Thurgood Marshall name on BWI, no one uses it. Baltimore
Or Norman Mineta airport.
San Jose International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Again no one uses it.
Of course San Francisco could pull a US Congress ****ty move like the US Congress did to Metro over Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, and force BART to rename the station at their own dime or cut funding.
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (WMATA station) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Until the latter happens as far as I'm concerned it is SF's airport, and they can call it whatever the hell they please, it is not place to say anything as I don't live there, and it is not my money, they already name things after dead political figures in SF anyway, like the Moscone Center.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:48 PM

6,418 posts, read 8,293,436 times
ahem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
A proposal to rename San Francisco’s airport after the late gay rights leader Harvey Milk, has been dropped, and the lawmaker who proposed it will aim to have a terminal named after Milk instead.

US: Plan to rename San Francisco airport after Harvey Milk is scrapped - PinkNews.co.uk

Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 PM

604 posts, read 1,302,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
According to the estimates given out it would cost the airport about $355k, and Caltrans $720k to rename the airport, so about $1M, the proposal involves having private individuals raise the money to rename the airport. I'm not sure why this is so controversial here, other major cities have their airports named after somebody, though most of the time you wouldn't know, Like Thurgood Marshall name on BWI, no one uses it. Baltimore
Or Norman Mineta airport.
San Jose International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Again no one uses it.
Of course San Francisco could pull a US Congress ****ty move like the US Congress did to Metro over Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, and force BART to rename the station at their own dime or cut funding.
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (WMATA station) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Until the latter happens as far as I'm concerned it is SF's airport, and they can call it whatever the hell they please, it is not place to say anything as I don't live there, and it is not my money, they already name things after dead political figures in SF anyway, like the Moscone Center.
Psssttt, Milk was G-A-Y. Clearly controversial if you are in the stone age or something.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,203,512 times
I'm against it because it is, in my mind, a highly overt political statement on an issue that is currently under debate and is not settled. As far as I can tell the naming of most airports is things like ex-presidents or people from history that don't elicit a strong emotional or political response. In my mind, if the name of your airport evokes a strong emotional response, you've done something wrong.

And to be fair, I don't think this is an "anti gay rights" thing. If I lived in a conservative area I wouldn't be happy if someone proposed renaming the airport to James Dobson International either.

Oh, and I just have to say it: "San Francisco Milk International Airport" has to be the WORST sounding name I've ever heard. Nothing against Harvey but the last name "Milk" does not lend itself well to naming rights IMHO .

Old 05-09-2013, 09:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,572,346 times
Read the thread, the airport name isnt changing

Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,557,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
I'm against it because it is, in my mind, a highly overt political statement on an issue that is currently under debate and is not settled. As far as I can tell the naming of most airports is things like ex-presidents or people from history that don't elicit a strong emotional or political response. In my mind, if the name of your airport evokes a strong emotional response, you've done something wrong.

And to be fair, I don't think this is an "anti gay rights" thing. If I lived in a conservative area I wouldn't be happy if someone proposed renaming the airport to James Dobson International either.

Oh, and I just have to say it: "San Francisco Milk International Airport" has to be the WORST sounding name I've ever heard. Nothing against Harvey but the last name "Milk" does not lend itself well to naming rights IMHO .
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, I lived in the DC area when they renamed the airport, and then stuck Metro which was about 1/3 funded by the state I lived in at the time with an expensive bill to rename the station. I'm guessing you probably didn't have an issue with that renaming then? Or did you?

What debate is there? Harvey Milk was killed in 1978, he is clearly notable in San Francisco history, and you are opposed to San Francisco renaming their airport while you live in Mountain View? Do you think you actually have some standing on this issue? Or just ranting on the internet as if you did?

Old 05-10-2013, 03:22 AM

604 posts, read 1,302,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
You are so right. Who wants to stare at hot models in "Got Milk" campaigns? No one I know.

So horrible.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland