Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 07:52 AM

370 posts, read 863,276 times

Advertisements

You can look at this Heat Map for San Francisco based on yelp reviews for certain key terms..

Yelp Wordmap | Yelp

Yelp Wordmap | Yelp

Obviously just for fun....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:57 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
So you're saying that the people who live in the Marina don't frequent the bars there? Where do they hang out instead? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to live in neighborhood with bars/restaurants/gyms/nightclubs that cater to the fratty crowd when you aren't fratty yourself. I guess you should tell this to my coworker who's lived in a rent controlled apartment in the Marina for the last 10 years or so (hint: he moved to the Marina right after college to be able to walk to all the fratty bars). He's been wanting to move since he's older now, and sick and tired of loud/drunk 20 somethings waking him up in the middle of the night, but he can't afford anywhere else in the city right now. Next time he complains about someone puking on the steps to his apartment complex, I'll just remind him that only visitors have the right to complain about the fratty crowd, and that he's lucky to live in a yuppie neighborhood.

The locals do frequent the bars there, but the bars also get A LOT of outsiders. The Marina bars are NOT neighborhood bars, they cater to a lot of visitors.

Also, locals tend to avoid certain bars and restaurants. Think Las Vegas, when you go to a Benihana in Vegas you're not dining among locals.

I don't see how your co-worker's situation has anything to do with this discussion. I never said only visitors can complain about the fratty crowd and if he doesn't like it, by all means, move somewhere he can afford; that's what I did.

Last edited by beb0p; 12-04-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-04-2013, 10:10 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,281,603 times
So if you live in the Marina, you'll avoid the bars in your neighborhood (even though they're local and within walking distance), because they aren't meant for "locals" or "neighborhood bars". DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Even if I were to agree with you (and I obviously don't), I can't see how this could be a selling point. "Come live in the Marina, where you can live steps from bars you'll avoid, because they are frequented by non-locals and frat types!"

Perhaps maybe when YOU lived in the Marina, you chose to avoid the fratty hotspots (why you'd willingly pay a premium to be so close by is beyond my comprehension), but suggesting that all of these popped collared, sperry wearing, frat types live somewhere else in the city and only flock to the Marina on weekends doesn't seem very realistic to me.

Last edited by 04kL4nD; 12-04-2013 at 10:20 AM..

Old 12-04-2013, 11:15 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Marina is a great district!

It's one of the most well-kept districts in the city. There are lots of nice restaurants and bars. The people are friendly and best of all, there are no hipsters that enjoy the smell of their own bowel movements for driving a hybrid. It's one of the few districts where a White person won't feel like a minority in the city. I'm guessing these reasons are why some people call it frat central. I have quite a bit of friends that live here, surprisingly only one of them is White though lol.

I would also add Russian Hill, Telegraph Hill and North Beach to the list of prospective districts to live.
The Marina is the whitest (and preppiest) area in SF. If you are they type who likes Connecticut, you'll love it.

I personally also find this section is where I am most likely to be stereotyped and meet the people who will treat me that way. I like to avoid it like the plague. I never meet friendly people there, and I tend to make friends everywhere.

Your mileage may vary if you aren't the same profile as me.

If you are looking for upscale places in SF, and you aren't white or asian, you will be in the minority. SF is also pretty segregate by race. Neighboring cities do not have the same vibe necessarily.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
So if you live in the Marina, you'll avoid the bars in your neighborhood (even though they're local and within walking distance), because they aren't meant for "locals" or "neighborhood bars". DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Even if I were to agree with you (and I obviously don't), I can't see how this could be a selling point. "Come live in the Marina, where you can live steps from bars you'll avoid, because they are frequented by non-locals and frat types!"

Perhaps maybe when YOU lived in the Marina, you chose to avoid the fratty hotspots (why you'd willingly pay a premium to be so close by is beyond my comprehension), but suggesting that all of these popped collared, sperry wearing, frat types live somewhere else in the city and only flock to the Marina on weekends doesn't seem very realistic to me.

Everyone has bars/restaurants close to his/her living quarter that he/she has rarely set foot in. It's not just the Marina, everywhere I've lived there are places that I choose not to frequent even though it's close to my house. It's not strange, it's a part of life. You're trying to tell that you've never heard anyone say, "You know, I've lived here for a couples years but last night was the first time I step foot inside this (name of establishment close to your friend's home) and I don't know why never visited until now...."

If it doesn't compute for you, then I guess you just are not going to get it. I suggest you ask your Marina living co-worker to explain it to you if you really want to understand.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:57 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
From the perspective of a male, the Marina is a place where prissy cute girls are required to strictly adhere to the uniform of those tight-butt yoga pants, puffy vests, and sunglasses so big they make your head look like a type of fly. Oh, and waving some frouffy starbucks-like beverage in one hand while gabbing loudly with your girlfriend over your iphone with the other. They shoot you mean stares if you check them out too closely, but really they crave it.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:30 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
If anything, it's much more yuppie than fratty.
Same thing, just separated by a few years.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:40 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,281,603 times
Nah, they're completely different. Which totally explains why beb0p thinks the Marina is yuppie instead of fratty.

I totally get it now! LOL

Old 12-04-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Same thing, just separated by a few years.
A teenager and a young adult, a yuppie and a soccer mom, A dot com boom and a dot com bust are separated by a few years too.

Not the same thing.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
OP? Still there? Lots of bickering on the SF/Oakland forum.

As far as your question, I agree with other posters who implied you shouldn't be trying to find Chicago in SF. Totally different beast.

If you get a job with Google, you might consider just living in Mountain View anyway. Why deal with the commute? Wait until after commute hours, then go visit SF. Commuting here is hell.

Then, get to know the city after rush hour and on weekends, and you can decide where you might want to live so badly that you're willing to do the commute from there to MV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland