Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 7,233 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Please no one be mean (note I didn't say not honest) or post something just rude. I am a 24 year old working professional looking to move to San Francisco from Chicago. I've grown up in Chicago my whole life and want to experience somewhere I've never lived and figured the west coast will be vastly different from an urban setting.

What is the best place to live if my favorite neighborhoods in Chicago are Streeterville, River North, Gold Coast, Old Town, Near North? These places are a bit more upscale, very urban, not very family oriented, etc. They are higher in rent and not "fratty"/filled with college students.

Also, what is the nightlife/dating scene like in SF? From what I've gathered, it's very gay-centric, but are there enough single and normal men to meet? The guys in Chicago are very sports focused and not the type to make a first move.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 10:25 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,281,603 times
I don't think SF is vastly different than living in an urban setting like Chicago. In fact, SF is the second most densely populated city in the US after NYC, so it's decidedly urban.

While those places you mentioned are expensive areas by Chicago standards, pretty much anywhere in SF is going to be a lot more expensive. What are you planning on doing for work and what will your salary be? You do realize that SF has the highest rents in the country right now (even higher than NYC)...

And no, SF isn't 'gay centric' unless you're a gay man living in the Castro or SOMA.

To be honest (hey, you asked for it!), you should probably visit SF for a week or so to see if you even like it, because it doesn't sound like you know much about the city.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:37 PM

Thanks so much! Sorry I didn't clarify earlier--I didn't mean to say it wasn't urban, I guess I just mean not a concentrated area of skyscrapers different. And I completely understand that it will be much more expensive. I'm currently interviewing with Google in Mountain View and decided that I would want to live in SF if I receive an offer. I've saved up a lot of money here and am ready to pay 2x to 3x more for rent than I do here.

And to be fair, most of the blogs/articles I've read touch on how difficult it is to meet a straight man in the Bay Area that isn't socially awkward, career obsessed, has a Peter Pan mentality, etc.

So, are there certain areas that would be a good fit for what I'm looking for? I really love those areas in Chicago and would like some comparable. Thanks!

Old 11-30-2013, 10:47 PM

Hmm. Google would be a great place to work and you could definitely afford many parts of SF, but as far as dating goes, it really depends on what type of guy you're interested in. SF DOES have its share of nerdy/tech guys that are socially awkward (I'm pretty sure every city does), but it also has lots of other types of straight men who moved to SF because of all that the city has to offer, or they just happened to grow up in the Bay Area and do other things besides work in tech. I'm not that much older than you, but the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to move to wherever you'd think you'd be happy (even if it means being single for a while). If working for Google and living in SF sounds fun for you, the odds are someone worthwhile will come along eventually, but again, I still think you should check the city out for yourself to see if you'd even like it. I have several friends from Chicago who think SF and the Bay Area are amazing, but ymmv.

As far as specific neighborhoods? First, you need to ask yourself why you'd be looking to replicate the Chicago experience in SF...

Old 11-30-2013, 10:53 PM

Okay, that all sounds good to me. I've visited before but when I was younger and plan to again really soon! From what my friend told me, she said that Marina is the closest neighborhood to Gold Coast. Do you think that's true? When I've tried searching online, I keep reading about how fratty it is. I'm trying not to buy into every neighborhood stereotype but when I read the ones about Chicago, they're pretty spot on.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:02 PM

It's funny that you mention the Marina, because it is the epitome of fratty rich kids who are as white as they come. When I read your earlier post, it was the first place that came to mind, but since you stressed not wanting to be near the college/fratty crowd, I didn't recommend it. While not everyone there is a skank or dbag, the Marina definitely caters to this crowd more than other parts of the city. The only real way to know whether you'd like it or not is by hanging out there on a busy Friday/Saturday night. You'll be able to tell right away if you'll like it or not. FWIW, a lot of people bash the neighborhood and say it's a carbon copy of LA, and I'd personally never live there, but whenever I've hung out there I've had fun and people were nice.

Personally, I like North Beach, Noe Valley, and parts of the Mission a lot better, but I don't even want to live in SF, so there are much better people to ask than me

Old 11-30-2013, 11:56 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Noe Valley's nice. Russian Hill, too.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:51 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,994,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmz055 View Post
Hi!

Please no one be mean (note I didn't say not honest) or post something just rude. I am a 24 year old working professional looking to move to San Francisco from Chicago. I've grown up in Chicago my whole life and want to experience somewhere I've never lived and figured the west coast will be vastly different from an urban setting.

What is the best place to live if my favorite neighborhoods in Chicago are Streeterville, River North, Gold Coast, Old Town, Near North? These places are a bit more upscale, very urban, not very family oriented, etc. They are higher in rent and not "fratty"/filled with college students.

Also, what is the nightlife/dating scene like in SF? From what I've gathered, it's very gay-centric, but are there enough single and normal men to meet? The guys in Chicago are very sports focused and not the type to make a first move.

Thanks in advance!
I've never been to Chicago so I don't know what sort of neighborhood you are seeking based off your examples. But if you want upscale with higher rents and less of a "fratty" crowd, look into South Beach. Luxury high rises, near the bay waterfront, and lots of professional transplants. That area is very urban as it is considered part of downtown SF and next to the financial district.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:54 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Marina is a great district!

It's one of the most well-kept districts in the city. There are lots of nice restaurants and bars. The people are friendly and best of all, there are no hipsters that enjoy the smell of their own bowel movements for driving a hybrid. It's one of the few districts where a White person won't feel like a minority in the city. I'm guessing these reasons are why some people call it frat central. I have quite a bit of friends that live here, surprisingly only one of them is White though lol.

I would also add Russian Hill, Telegraph Hill and North Beach to the list of prospective districts to live.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:26 AM

84 posts, read 110,333 times
QUOTE]hipsters that enjoy the smell of their own bowel movements for driving a hybrid[/quote]
awe, poor Mr. BMW, so easily offended by people that don't drive BMWs.
Quote:
It's one of the few districts where a White person won't feel like a minority in the city
why would that matter? Are you assuming that the OP is also a racist white person? Maybe because she is a young professional and in your limited BMW-centric view of the world only white people can be professional?
WOW!
Quote:
I'm guessing these reasons are why some people call it frat central.
why? because only white kids go to college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland